2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Seneca State Forest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 4:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has anyone spent any time in Seneca State Forest? Looks like I'll be spending a week down there next October. Fisherman friends rented cabins and informed me I would be there.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never been in it.  But if you have a bicycle, the Greenbriar River trail is close and a nice bike ride from Cass to Marlinton.  You could always ride the train or better yet hike up to the top of Bald Knob.

You're also going to be pretty close to Cranberry.
 Post Number: 3
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know I've lived in this part of WV for all my life, and never had heard of that park till last year when arfcomhkr and I took a bike ride on the rail trail and seen it on the map. :laugh:
 Post Number: 4
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been to that part of the state for about 45 years, family almost moved to that area when I was a child. I live in Wheeling. Going to have to get out for an overnight hike while down there. Those fisherman drink too much at night to get up early and hike all day.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, if you want to kill some time.. Go back North on 92 a bit to 66, take that to Cass, Back Mountain road to FR 235.  That may or may not be signed. Follow it up to the top, there the road will fork. There will be a gate in front of you, park there.  

Follow the gated FS road about 2 miles and you'll come to a crossing with the Cass railroad. Turn left (uphill) and follow the RR to the summit and a nice observation platform that will look out over Greenbank.

It's well worth the walk.
 Post Number: 6
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How is this bike trail? I looked at it's website and it says to use fat tire bikes. I have a hybrid with about inch and a half tires. Would that be ok? Looks like a nice trail.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Jan. 08 2013, 10:41 am)
How is this bike trail? I looked at it's website and it says to use fat tire bikes. I have a hybrid with about inch and a half tires. Would that be ok? Looks like a nice trail.

The Greenbrier River trail??  It is suitable for pretty much any bike.  It's packed fine limestone, and easy to ride on.  Find the right gear and just ride, it's all flat too :)  Arfcomhkr and i did 20 some miles on it this summer.
 Post Number: 8
kellem Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tent camped there "Seneca state forest" years ago,beautiful place as expected for that area.

I remember a small rustic campground and a lake full of trout. :)

And yes...the Greenbrier river Trail is a must and easily bikeable.reminds me of the C&O canal trail yet much more scenic.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Jan. 08 2013, 10:41 am)

I rode it last year on a Trek 7700 and did fine.  There was one or two spots where new limestone fines must had been added and they weren't packed down yet. You just have to slide back on the seat and take some weight off the front wheel when you hit those.

There's at least one shelter where you can camp along with a couple of spots with water pumps.

You might want to bring a headlamp for the tunnel as it is curved. Gets pitch black right in the center of it.
 Post Number: 10
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, sounds like a fun place to visit.
 Post Number: 11
Hollowdweller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We went there every year for summer vacation when I was a kid and I've been there a few times since.

There is a nice trail Loop Road that runs along the lake back past all the cool beaver dams.

Hiking up to the fire tower if it is still standing is a lot of fun.

Also hiking below cabin 3? (anyway the one below the dam)  back on that road is cool also.

My favorite cabins are the one with the boat dock to itself and the one behind the dam. I've never stayed in the 2 down on the river.

Also I THINK the Allegheny trail passes thru there.
 Post Number: 12
Hollowdweller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(arfcomhkr @ Jan. 07 2013, 5:41 pm)
Well, if you want to kill some time.. Go back North on 92 a bit to 66, take that to Cass, Back Mountain road to FR 235.  That may or may not be signed. Follow it up to the top, there the road will fork. There will be a gate in front of you, park there.  

Follow the gated FS road about 2 miles and you'll come to a crossing with the Cass railroad. Turn left (uphill) and follow the RR to the summit and a nice observation platform that will look out over Greenbank.

Yeah you can get to the old ghost town of Spruce from that road too

This is from CASS not Seneca.

Overlook on Bald Knob

Fire tower on Bald knob, the first few steps are removed but you can still climb it

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hollowdweller @ Jan. 24 2013, 5:05 pm)

(arfcomhkr @ Jan. 07 2013, 5:41 pm)

Yeah you can get to the old ghost town of Spruce from that road too

This is from CASS not Seneca.

Overlook on Bald Knob

Fire tower on Bald knob, the first few steps are removed but you can still climb it

You sir are insane climbing that tower :laugh: Hell, I don't even like climbing the one on backbone, and it has all of it's steps...
12 replies since Dec. 31 2012, 4:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Seneca State Forest
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions