2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: AT HAwk Mountain Loop Hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hoosier Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 7:52 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saturday January 19, 2013
Appalachian Trail – Hawk Mountain Loop

Early morning Saturday,  and under sunny blue skies. I found myself at the AT crossing of Hawk Mountain Road . Figured I would hike something relatively close to home.

Started out by bare booting the AT north. Which was mostly melted out with lots of bare ground showing.  Was soon across the little bridge on the stream that has it’s start just to the west in Hawk Mountains River of Rocks.

After this point the trail became covered with an inch or so of melted and glazed over snow. But it was still manageable to bare boot with proper foot placement on exposed rocks. Once I gained the ridge at the junction of Hawk Mountains “Skyline Trail” I put on my Katholla Microspikes, as by now the trails were consistently snow/ice covered and some type of traction device was required.

Followed the Skyline Trail which runs across the ridge top of the Blue Mountain to Hawk Mountains North Lookout. Plenty of fun to be had on the ice covered rock scrambles between the AT and Hawk Mountain's North Lookout.

Arrived at the North Lookout which I had to myself.  Sat atop the lookout for a bit. And admired the great view east along the ridge that the Skyline Trail follows from it’s junction with the AT.

Continued through Hawk Mountain using the trail to the North Lookout, and then the River of Rocks trails. Seen lot of folks making their way up to the North Lookout. Slipping and sliding in footwear, from bare boots to sneakers. Once on the River of Rocks trail. I removed my microspikes and barebooted once again. At a point where the river of rocks trail turns left off of a woods road. I continued following the woods road. Which comes out on Hawk Mountain Road just North of the AT crossing

Nice 7 mile or so hike on a beautiful sunny blue sky day. Just a reminder. If hiking the trails in Hawk Mountain there is a fee for trail use.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 3
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a fun area.  I'm a little surprised that all the snow/ice hasn't melted as the temps here have been ridiculously warm for the past couple of weeks.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 4
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://endlessmountains.wordpress.com/2013....nctuary

I also visited Hawk Mountain recently.  The views were excellent, even saw a hawk.  Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos....4674289

South Lookout

The Pinnacle (and Appalachian Trail) is the furthest ridge

North Lookout
 Post Number: 5
hoosier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 7:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Figure you where up on either Saturday or Sunday of this past weekend (26th or 27th). Looks to be more snow then when I was up.

Did you just hike out to the North lookout and back ??
 Post Number: 6
NSEWest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome hiking... Hawk mountain is just about in my back yard. Love the mountain!!
5 replies since Jan. 21 2013, 7:52 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply AT HAwk Mountain Loop Hike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions