2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Thru-hikers on the Great Eastern Trail, History being made< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 6:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.gethiking.net/

This is the website of the first (potential) thru-hikers of the GET, which goes from Alabama to New York.  The trail is about 1,600 miles long, and not yet complete.

I recently read Earl Shaffer's "Walking with Spring" and it is fascinating how some of their experiences are so similar to Mr. Shaffer's, despite this thru-hike being almost 60 years later.

The posts and pictures are interesting and at times hilarious.  Worth the read.  

Let's all wish them the best on their journey.

More info about the GET:

http://greateasterntrail.net/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are through AL, GA, TN, and KY into WV now
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.wvgazette.com/Outdoor....blogger

Write up in Charleston newspaper
 Post Number: 4
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

KiOeh has noted to me a couple of times that several hikes on my website are part of the GET. He listed them for me in a recent E-mail. He has asked that I might mention the GET in my write-ups and I said I could If The GET website would mention my website. He says that is not likely. I really can't understand why as they do have a link page. I think it would be great advertising for the GET but I don't understand the lack of desire to reciprocate. I sit here frustrated. I just don't get it. One link in exchange for 28 links seems like a worthwhile "Quid pro Quo".

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 6:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are past Hinton, WV now, about to hit the overlay with the A.T. near Pearisburg, VA.

I might have an opportunity soon to see about the post #4 situation, but that might need some rephrasing to gain the desired result. :)
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are now in VA.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The GET has a peculiar relationship with state lines between TN and PA - down on the Pine Mountain Trail it's mostly in KY but even there strays over the VA border from time to time. The Allegheny Trail is WV's longest trail but it crosses into VA as well on the portion the GET uses. The Headwaters and Tuscarora favor the VA side but often stray into WVa. The GET west route hits Paw Paw Tunnel named for the nearest town, Paw Paw WVa, but of course the entire C&O path is on the MD side of the Potomac.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They got picked up in Bath County, VA for a ceremony with the Mayor of Chattanooga this past weekend, they may have returned to trail by now or will soon close to south end of Shenandoah Mtn trail.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

North of Siler, VA on Tuscarora Trail now. All "real" trails with at least 2 out of 3 of blazes, prepared guides, and published maps, from here on out.
 Post Number: 10
Flexo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Mar. 31 2013, 12:13 pm)
KiOeh has noted to me a couple of times that several hikes on my website are part of the GET. He listed them for me in a recent E-mail. He has asked that I might mention the GET in my write-ups and I said I could If The GET website would mention my website. He says that is not likely. I really can't understand why as they do have a link page. I think it would be great advertising for the GET but I don't understand the lack of desire to reciprocate. I sit here frustrated. I just don't get it. One link in exchange for 28 links seems like a worthwhile "Quid pro Quo".

Well, Mike you have to ask yourself is what they are building a positive thing that you should support or something not worthy of your support?  I think it's a good thing that will bring a new system of trails to the east coast.

I think maybe you should think of adding links to your site as a "donation" to the cause and not expect anything in return.  Your site is already the defacto goto site for area hikers.

Also, simply adding "Great Eastern Trail" to your trail descriptions will aid your site through search engine hits of anyone searching for info about that trail.  I'm sure in short order your trail descriptions will pop up high in search engine results just because your site is considered authoritative.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am working on MR's issue, too.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Donation"? I think people forget that mine is a free site as well but unlike other free sites who collect donations or dues I don't have anyone to help me pay the costs of maintaining it nor do I want to. Just a little quid pro quo is all I ask for promoting something like the GET. Hell, I don't even run ads on my site. You got any idea how much it costs me to run a spam free Outing Critique form? $20.00/month!!!! That doesn't include what the server charges me.

I think I should have just kept my big mouth shut.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 13
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 7:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ May 16 2013, 3:45 pm)
"Donation"? I think people forget that mine is a free site as well but unlike other free sites who collect donations or dues I don't have anyone to help me pay the costs of maintaining it nor do I want to. Just a little quid pro quo is all I ask for promoting something like the GET. Hell, I don't even run ads on my site. You got any idea how much it costs me to run a spam free Outing Critique form? $20.00/month!!!! That doesn't include what the server charges me.

I think I should have just kept my big mouth shut.

Flexo is right on with including it for SEO purposes.   I think linking would add some value for your site.  Building a reciprocal relationship may take some effort and patience, but it sounds like Pete is trying to help you out there.

My overall impression is that you've built a great site because you enjoy it and it's something you're passionate about.  So this issue is probably not worth any stress you put against it.

Just my opinion of course.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not stressing about this at all. I got a lot bigger fishes to fry ... like a potential hip replacement. If the organization doesn't want to link to my site then fine by me.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are now in Maryland!  Getting closer.  Only PA stands in their way.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 9:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are they going through Greenridge SF or using the Tuscarora Tr?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last entry as of when I just checked right now was a resupply in McConnellsburg so on east route nearing Cowans Gap on Tuscarora.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2013, 12:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They seem to be enjoying the Standing Stone Trail.  With views like Butler Knob, Hall of the Mtn King and Throne Room on a day like today, how could you not?

Nice also to see Three Springs treated them well.  It was a nice respite on my thru hike on the SST.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can hear more of Houck and Swanson's tales from the Great Eastern Trail at their presentation on National Trails Day (culmination of PA Hiking Week too), June 1st, 1:30 pm at the Woolrich Outlet Store, 39 Boardman Dr. Woolrich, PA 17779
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

News coverage of visit to Woolrich (these links may rot):

Lock Haven Express
Williamsport Sun-Gazette
 Post Number: 21
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 4:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both hikers gave a nice interview on WV Public Radio Monday morning.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New boots + rain + PA rocks = this
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now in NY, almost done.
 Post Number: 24
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Jun. 11 2013, 2:26 pm)
New boots + rain + PA rocks = this

You made it into their blog . . .

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jun. 16 2013, 1:06 pm)
You made it into their blog . . .

Yep, me and the fake owl.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmitch @ Jun. 16 2013, 12:05 pm)
Now in NY, almost done.

Pix of leaving the Mid-Atlantic for Northeast forum territory
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

They did it!

The GET was recently thru-hiked for the first time by Jo Swanson and Bart Houck.  Congratulations to them on their historic accomplishment.  Hopefully more will follow.

Is Jo the first female to be the first thru-hiker of any of America's long trails?

http://www.stargazette.com/article....-County

http://www.gethiking.net/

http://greateasterntrail.net/
26 replies since Feb. 27 2013, 6:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Thru-hikers on the Great Eastern Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions