2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dolly sods, What are the roads looking like?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GRIFF3061 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 10:03 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am planning a trip in a couple of weeks but saw that the snow is still coming down this week.  I do not have 4 wheel drive...can I make it to the bear rocks parking lot?

Also,while I have your attention, are there any filterable water spots in the northern quadrants?  Last time I was there I did Bear rocks/Ravens Ridge loop and never saw any water until I got further south.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd check with the Potomac RD. I don't think they open the gates untilsometime in April. I've never had problems w/water in DSN. There are the 2 forks of Red Creek, an un-named stream that runs close to Dobbin Grade, a piped spring near the junction of Dobbin Grade and Beaver View Trail and a working spring on Rocky Ridge close to a small campsite.I "think" I know where to find water near the hidden campsite on Raven Ridge.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depending on what you mean by a few weeks, I'm thinking that the road up to Bear Rocks will still be closed.  I was up there with a friend last weekend and snowshoed up into Dolly Sods from the west.  They had about three feet of snow on the western ridge of the wilderness.  Some of it melted, but based on White Grass's snow report, I think they got more this week.

This is what Dolly Sods looked like last weekend (3/10):

Looking northeast towards Bear Rocks from the western ridge of Dolly Sods.

More pictures can be found here.

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 4
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FS75 does not open until April 15th. You can get up to just past the Rohrbaugh Plains and South Prong trailheads. Learned this the hard way last year. Check the MVUM's (motor vehicle use maps) the Mon each year.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 5
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah,t hat road up across there like stated above opens after April 15th, and only if the FS can get up there to open it.  Depending on the weather which has been iffy the past few weeks, snow is going to be hanging up there for a while.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your best bet for remote snow observations is the Whitegrass ski site's report page. Right now they note 24" at 4300' but with a nice warm-up that could melt quickly. Each year is different. Last March was very warm the final two weeks and when I was up there mid April there was no snow to be found. In contrast, on April 2, 2010 we could just get past the South Prong trailhead before the road was blocked by 2 to 3 feet of snow. If you're going in 2 weeks I'd plan on going in down at Laneville.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 7
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Mar. 20 2013, 8:27 am)
Your best bet for remote snow observations is the Whitegrass ski site's report page. Right now they note 24" at 4300' but with a nice warm-up that could melt quickly. Each year is different. Last March was very warm the final two weeks and when I was up there mid April there was no snow to be found. In contrast, on April 2, 2010 we could just get past the South Prong trailhead before the road was blocked by 2 to 3 feet of snow. If you're going in 2 weeks I'd plan on going in down at Laneville.

Here are a few photos from April 20th of 2010. That was the year of the bad February snows. I've been told there were 8-9 ft drifts on the sods that Feb. Still some left in late April.

https://picasaweb.google.com/panhandler3/2010_04_20#
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Forecast calling for 6-12" tonight into tomorrow, up there, it may be more. :;):
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sounds like we are shopping for another region to camp in:)  Thanks for the info everyone!
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you into snow shoeing? You can gain access to Canaan Mountain through Blackwater Falls State Park.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dont have the gear for that....think mt rogers is in better shape than DS?
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can only suggest that you call them: 1-800-628-7202

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 13
CRhikesWV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

April 6,  Road have plenty of snow still on them as you go above 3500 feet. With a high clearance vehicle and good tires you might be able to drive FS19.  Be prepared to post hole if you hike.  Red creek trail at the trailhead is clear of snow, but I expect you will hit snow as you hike in.  There were several cars at that trailhead this weekend.  There is still plenty of snow; from 1 to 4 feet depending on where you are.  
I expect with warm temps and possible rain, the streams could be pretty high by mid to late week.

I doubt that that the gate into the scenic area will open very early this year.  Hurricane Sandy (aka blizzard sandy for us) dumped about 3 feet of heavy wet snow up high.  Most likely still a lot of trees down in the road and on the trails.  
Canaan Mountain area also still has plenty of snow, mostly in the woods and backcountry area.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

CR,

Were you on Canaan Mt. yesterday?

--------------
 Post Number: 15
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm hopeful it will open as scheduled.  Lots of warm weather moving through in the next week and that should melt a lot of snow on the ground.  Looking at the dolly sods webcam, looks like we've had a lot of melting in the last two days.  I'm hoping to get access to the red creek campground the weekend of the 19th...I suppose only time will tell.
 Post Number: 16
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still lot's of snow up that way.   I'm heading up to the FS cabins on Middle Mtn Wednesday and you can only get up there through Glady.  Middle Mountain road is still snowed shut North and South of there as of Sunday.

The only reason we can get in that way is because the gas company plowed up to their wells.

They were reluctant to let us in this week.

jnk556 has some pics, maybe he'll post them.

I'm throwing the chains in the back of the power wagon just in case.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's Middle mountain rd a couple miles past beaver damn run.  Far as the tracks went.  There is a drift about 5' high across the road.

Middle Mountain cabins are still snowed in, but we're prepared :cool:

Random pic along Middle Mounatin rd, the plowed part..
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That part past Beaver Dam run looks like the place we got stopped about 2 years ago.

The webcams are showing quick melting. In one day the amount on Laurel Ridge in PA has dropped significantly - one more day and it will be gone. Whitegrass has stopped posting snow depths but the webcams are online and show melting but still coverage up high. It's a crap shoot at this point on what trails will be like and if roads will be passable, let alone open. Go prepared with a couple of backup plans - we will.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Apr. 08 2013, 7:26 pm)
That part past Beaver Dam run looks like the place we got stopped about 2 years ago.

The webcams are showing quick melting. In one day the amount on Laurel Ridge in PA has dropped significantly - one more day and it will be gone. Whitegrass has stopped posting snow depths but the webcams are online and show melting but still coverage up high. It's a crap shoot at this point on what trails will be like and if roads will be passable, let alone open. Go prepared with a couple of backup plans - we will.

This was just up past the gas line crossing, maybe 1/2mi.  There's a overlook there where it's been logged.  Wind blows up across there, and drifted the road shut.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep the snow reports coming. I'm going out on Saturday and trying to decide where.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Whitegrass and Dolly Sods webcams show significant snow melt as of this morning. With record highs today and warm temps tomorrow w/ possible rain I expect to see even more snow gone by the weekend. Anyone else have any reports?

--------------
 Post Number: 22
kellem Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With these current temps "i have 89 as i type" its a safe bet that snow will succumb on the high flats. :)

Went through Elk Garden last evening and the melt was significant.

High streams will be an issue though.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, even Davis is at 70°F right now. The Weiss Slope webcam at Whitegrass is telling. This morning there was a solid covering of snow from the halfway point on up to the top. As I type the snow is basically gone up to the 3/4 point. The Seneca Rocks webcam shows no snow at all, so the question is when the drifts closing roads will melt.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Flexo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to get up there and camp overnight near Blackbird Knob during the meteor shower on the night of Monday the 22nd.  Weather/clouds permitting, anyone else up for this?  We could make it an easy two night trip if we go up on Sunday and stay until Tuesday.
 Post Number: 25
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got back from up there. Snow was about gone Wednesday and the rain Thursday night finished it off.

We were digging ramps in some places Friday.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if someone goes by, please post whether or not 75 opens tomorrow.  im heading up there this weekend and this will help me finalize my plans.  thanks  :)
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, just talked to a ranger who said it won't be opening for at least another week, so it looks like I will be using red creek trailhead.
 Post Number: 28
Flexo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What number did you call to get that info?  I'd like to go up on Monday and 75 is the easiest way in for me.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was in the Canaan Valley NWR on Saturday and had a good view of the edge of Cabin Mt. and saw no snow. There was a little snow in the ditch along A Frame Rd but that was basically all I saw. The NF must be holding on the opening because of downed trees making the road impassible.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Flexo @ Apr. 16 2013, 8:53 am)
What number did you call to get that info?  I'd like to go up on Monday and 75 is the easiest way in for me.

(304)257-4488 ext. 0

he sounded pretty sick of answering that question.  he said the reason is cause late last week there was still snow on it...i guess they don't visit this forum.  :)
47 replies since Mar. 18 2013, 10:03 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dolly sods
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions