2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: ATVs on WV Trails- including MNF, Proposed legislation< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 5:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The email I received below was from the Friends of Blackwater.  Not sure of the extent of the intent to open trails to ATVs, but WV hikers should be aware of the issue.  Odd that the state wants to mandate the nat'l forest to open trails to ATVs.

ACT NOW!

WV State Parks Threatened by House Bill 3148!  Call your Legislator today!

The WV House of Delegates is bringing House Bill 3148 to Roads and Transportation Committee on March 27, 2013 at 2pm.  This Bill would open up all trails on public lands in West Virginia to ATV/UTV use.  This means that trails on State Parks, State Forests and even the Monongahela National Forest would now be subject to extreme levels of degradation from ATV usage.  We must stop this from happening and preserve our beautiful trail system.

Not only would this cause problems like erosion and noise pollution, it would present a safety issue for hikers and mountain bikers that utilize these trails for recreation.  Additionally, it would take hundreds of staff members to oversee and maintain these trails, greatly diminishing any promised economic gain.  West Virginia will lose economically if we lose our trails!

House Bill 3148:  A BILL to amend the Code of West Virginia, 1931, by adding thereto a new article, designated §20-15A-1, §20-15A-2, §20-15A-3, §20-15A-4, §20-15A-5 and §20-15A-6, all relating to creating the “ATV and UTV Recreation Act;” legislative findings concerning trail-oriented recreation for off-highway vehicle enthusiasts; definitions; … all-terrain vehicles or utility-terrain vehicles on roads and trails on public lands, old timber roads and other limited use roads, including national forests.  To read the entire bill click here.

THIS IS URGENT!!  CALL TODAY AND TELL THEM NO ATVS ON OUR TRAILS!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Te....ntr.htm
 Post Number: 3
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 6:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If they're going to do that, they should follow the example of the Allegheny NF in Pa.

They have a pretty good network of dedicated ATV and snowmobile trails.
 Post Number: 4
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This certainly is disturbing. I do doubt the ability of the state to mandate usage on federal lands though and Wilderness areas would automatically be exempt but nonetheless this would be a disaster. WV already has the highest death rate in the nation for ATV riders and I don't see this as helping that. It also would destroy a strong outdoor recreation community that exists and would have minimal or even negative economic return. Is there a petition or organized online campaign against this yet?

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 5
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

get to the lost meadow while you can, before it becomes "trashed meadow"
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Talked to my source w/ inside info. Good news, this bill has been pulled from the agenda. Apparently it was championed by one individual w/ ulterior motives.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 7
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An ATV dealer?

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MR,

Nope

--------------
 Post Number: 9
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This topic has been floated for years around here, and while I have nothing against ATV's, their owners or riders, allowing them on Nat Forest, or state park/forest lands is a big mistake!  If they want to open up ATV trails that's fine.  I don't mind the "normal folks" who use ATV's, but around here, I seem to see 9 idiots for every 10.  The way a lot of things are enforced around here, letting ATV's in would pretty much destroy everything.

I love the national forest for what it is, a place I can go hike, bike, camp, do whatever and do it in peice and quiet.  Not have to slop through mud holes, rutts, listen to the roar of ATV engines ect.
8 replies since Mar. 26 2013, 5:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply ATVs on WV Trails- including MNF
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions