2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: introduction to Sleepy Creek, April 7< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 9:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With spring around the corner, it is time for me to return to Sleepy Creek.  I am thinking of doing an approximate nine mile loop is the north part of Sleepy Creek, highlights being Devil's Nose, the Meadow Branch, and the Eagle Nest Overlook, a quasi-four state view.  While I am going no matter what (unless it rains or had strong rain in the two days prior), anyone else may also.

length: 9 miles.

There will be two main climbs of 500+ feet, plus some smaller ones.  There will be a long rock scramble going down Devil's Nose.

Most importantly, there will be eight stream crossings.  One is bridged, and one will likely be a rock hop.  The other six will most likely be fords, which is why I may not go in case of rain.  Parking is near Eagle Nest Mountain at the end of Audubon Lane.

So, anyone in?

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wish I could but date conflict.
 Post Number: 3
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now I'm torn. I'm considering doing a 13 mile day hike next weekend for the current book that I'm writing but I "do" have 2 backpacking trips scheduled for this summer. It would be nice to kind of get the lay of the land. Could I bring friends? Not confirming quite yet.

The 7th is Sunday. Any chance for Saturday? And is that possibly Audubon Road? I take the trail head is at the end of the road?

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never been there but it looks interesting.  Like MRHyker I'd prefer a Saturday, but I also just remembered that my wife's out of town (how could I forget?) until the 9th.  Maybe I can get our dogsitter to help out that weekend.

[A dogsitter?  Really?  Who has one of those?]

It's not that far of a drive from here (2.5 hours according to Google), and I really need to get my dead ass on a trail ASAP, not matter how long/short/hard/easy.  What time do you plan to hit the trailhead?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can switch to Saturday.  The only hunting in WV then would be the year round seasons, so that shouldn't be a concern.  And feel free to bring other people.  How does 10:30 AM sound?  I can put it at 10:00 if that's better.

Parking coordinates are 39.5868N, 78.1190W, and yes, that is the end of Audubon Road, not Lane.  The lot is a small area just past the turnaround delineating the end of the road; the Tuscarora Trail heads thru the lot, to the south and to the west.  Audubon Rd is paved except for the last half mile, which is gravel.

And, I was wrong.  There is only one ascent of greater than 500 feet.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I "think" it takes 1.5 hours to get there from the park and ride on I-70/Rt 32. This time of the year I usually call for an 8:00 departure time. That would put us there between 9:30 and 9:45. Is that OK?

Do we have to climb back up Devil's Nose?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 7
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I can get someone to let the dog out I'm actually good either day, any time.  Shouldn't be a problem.

I'll be going across 32 and hitting 70, so I can meet there or at the parking lot at Audubon Rd.

Thanks.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

32/70 is where I'll be meeting my group if you want to car pool.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 9
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got the scouts on an overnight this weekend. Otherwise I'd be interested in attending.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Care to describe the route or send me a map so that I can load it into my GPS?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does the trail that follows Meadow Branch have an official name?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 12
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Apr. 01 2013, 10:09 am)
32/70 is where I'll be meeting my group if you want to car pool.

That sounds good.  I'll there in a grey Jetta at 8:00 unless I hear otherwise.

Has a Saturday/Sunday decision been made yet?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saturday, April 6.

The trail along the creek, the most official name it has (to the extent that it does) is the Fisherman's Trail, at least the northernmost part of it.  The Meadow Branch Trail would be an obvious name, if it were not for the other trail in the area called that.  Little Mountain Trail could work, as it does climb over that.

We are only descending Devil's Nose; we will take a scenic woods road back up to loop around to the Fisherman's Trail.

I'll be keeping an eye on the weather for Friday.  Doesn't sound like it should be much rain, so we should be fine.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Final TTT

Saturday, April 6, 10:00 AM, though I may try to get there a little earlier.  Parking: end of Audubon Rd, 39.5868N, 78.1190W .

Nine miles, only one 500+ foot climb, plus some small ones.  Long scramble down Devil's Nose.  8 stream crossings: one bridges, one likely rock hop, six likely shallowish fords.  May be some light bushwhacking in one spot depending on shape of trail.  A couple of good overlooks.

Main thing I suppose I want to know is the number of vehicles (or at least groups) to expect at the trailhead.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There will be 4 or 5 of us.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 16
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One, but I'll be meeting/combining vehicles with the 32/70 crew.
 Post Number: 17
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, phooey.  It was going to be tight anyway, but now something's come up and I can't make it.  Let me know how it goes.
16 replies since Mar. 29 2013, 9:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply introduction to Sleepy Creek
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions