2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Allegheny 100 challenge, NCT in PA< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 11:24 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone partaking?

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TheBrewGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm signed up and eager to get out there. I've been backpacking for a few years, and have done a few hundred miles (in sections) on the AT. Put my gear list for this together and I'm at about 9lbs without food or water.
 Post Number: 3
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Brewguy! Good to hear from You. I need to replace a few odds and ends  and ready to roll

--------------
 Post Number: 4
partly cloudy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good idea,, Griz.  If anyone has questions about the A-100, you can contact me. I'm the organizer of this event but I have others that are more tech-savy on equipment.

--------------
just another trail grunt in the forest
 Post Number: 5
Kyla942 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm doing the 100 miles, and my main question is for the six who have completed it in time, what is the plan of action. Meaning, do I push as long and as hard as I can and plan not to sleep, or set incremental breaks, etc.?
 Post Number: 6
superhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 11:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since the challenge is 100 miles in 50 hours, I plan to always be at minimum 2 mph.  For example, I typically hike Friday night 6:00 until around 2:30 and, the last two years, have made it in about 25 miles.  In doing this, I know that if I get going by 6:30, I will be 12.5 hours in and, at 25 miles, at my goal of 2 mph.  You need to rest.  Last year, I hiked Saturday from 5:30 AM until 9:30 PM, put in 50 miles and crashed.  I got a full eight hours of sleep Saturday night.  Sunday, I got up at 5:30 and hiked the last 25 miles out by 2:30 in the afternoon never feeling like I was in a hurry.  

I would really recommend you not do anything too crazy.  Be steady.  Keep moving.  Use all your day light.  Stay on the blazes.  People who don't finish and do not have injury to blame seem to get lost hiking at night.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and,, Superhiker should know. He's finished the 100 miles in less than 50 hours 2 out of the last 3 years.
 And, our resident guru.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Partly Cloudy, have chatted with you before, Past Prez and still active Heritage Chapter Wisconsin

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Superhiker, thank you for the awesome info! It's funny because as I've been thinking about it, thats almost exactly the plan I came up with. So it's good to hear my instincts are right. Hope to see you out there. Good luck to everyone!
 Post Number: 10
Eric123 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My plan of attack is just a steady hike.  Get to a decent speed and stay there, don't get in a rush, but keep walking.  If I am going to push hard it is Friday night when I am fresh.   Find a place to sleep about 2 to 2:30 am each night, and then get up and get moving when the sun first comes up.  Superhiker is right, those navigation problems in the dark really hurt you, and you just get punchy and start making mistakes.  Plan to hike 45+ miles on Saturday.  I like to just continue with a solid pace all day here to put me into the right distance for Sunday.

Couple of things I learned.  
1)Sleep some each night 3 hours or so is all I usually get, but that seems to be enough.

2)Try to team up with a couple of people on Friday for your night hiking.  The extra eyes and light help a lot!! that first night out.

3)  Pay attention to your water, this can get to be a big problem when it gets hot between noon and 4.  

4) Take care of your feet.  This has been something that bothered me my first 2 years.  I learned a few tricks to help me keep them in the right shape, but is something that I have to be aware of all the time.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hay griz and Brewguy,, you guys coming over?  I know Superhiker and Eric123 will be there and ready to go BEFORE 6 PM. We are trying to make this a professional event with a good kick-off involving dignitaries. Gotta get the media involved at the start point. Any of you willing to be interviewed??? I know a sweet young reporter from Bradford,,,, well,, never mind.

Good luck to you all, pray for decent weather.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Will be there early, sometime mid afternoon, will know what time as event gets closer, will be coming out with a workmate who id doing the 50 miler

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Griz  Your welcome to come as early as you want. Just be fore-warned, I will put you to work. I have 3 canopies and 6 tables to set up. And a stage and picnic tables. Many smaller items to get up before 4. We'll probably start around 1 or 2. The wife is the project leader, and she is a slave-driver.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 6:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not a problem that is about My ETA

--------------
 Post Number: 15
DirtANF100 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good talk at the Q a few nights back.  Gonna be a fun hike.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DirtANF100  It was informative. I hope everybody learnt something and had a good time.

Thanks to Tambra

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Partly Cloudy, I'm over in Cleveland so it will take me a couple hours to get there, but I will probably be there early afternoon, 2ish most likely. I'd be happy to be interviewed and help set anything up. How early will the shuttles be running, and how long of a ride is it? Since I need to park at Willow Bay and get a ride to Cooks.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

brewguy I haven't set up the shuttle pick-up times but 2 Pm is enough time. Willow Bay pick-up time will be around 3 PM, but don't hold me to that. At Willow Bay, there will be no set-up or anything to do except wait for the bus. You'll arrive at Rt 66 in time to join the festivities.

But,, thanks for the offer to help.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do we get a registration package or do I have to ask here?

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thegriz1  The only thing you need at the pick-up site is the waiver form. ( signed )  At the event start point will be registration and T-shirts. Plus a few items for sale, hand-made walking sticks, A-100 patches, and such.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
DirtANF100 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a link to the first 18 miles taken from my GPS.  All the "logs" were marked and sent to Keith and the trail crew.  I was a fun hike.
http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US....vrVJOAg
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 8:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DirtANF100  This is an excellent trail report concerning the downed trees. This helps out immensely. If anyone is tramping around the ANF with a GPS, please help us out to clear the trail. With 100 miles and only a handful of workers, this is the best way to maintain the trail.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys, I've been doing a little research to get an idea of the conditions during the event, and here is what I've found:

For the weekend of June 7-9, 2013:

Average Hi/Lo Temps: 73/48F
Record Hi/Lo Temps: 86/31F

Sunrise: 5:42AM
Sunset: 8:49PM

New Moon at 11:58PM on Saturday, June 8.

So we will have about 3 hours of light on Friday, and about 15 hours on Saturday. But both nights will be very dark, since there wont be any moonlight to help us. Temps should be pretty moderate, but might get a little cold at night. Obviously rain will effect that, and we won't know about that until much closer to the dates.
I'm planning on wearing my headlamp while hiking, but I'm also bringing a tactical flashlight (Redline 250 lumen, 175 yards) for checking ahead and looking for blazes.
Just thought I'd share what I've found, and been thinking about lately.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TheBrewGuy  We are asking Tom Divecchio, channel 24 weather reporter, to be there to do concise weather report. Maybe even a live feed from the start point. He is interested and will try to juggle his schedule.

Thanks for the heads up.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
DougSK Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good info, guys.  
I signed up for the 50 miler, figuring to ease my way into it...
I wasn't able to get to the Q&A session.  
Does anyone have recommendations on what to take for food?  
Stick with energy bars & the like?    
Thanks
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DougSK energy bars are good for a quick pick-me-up. But, I would figure on something more substantial. Even if you ca do 50 miles in 24 hours, you will need some good food. I'm sure others will comment here about your question.
 Also, remember there is Cougar Bob's just off the trail at Kelletville. ( 25 mile point )

--------------
 Post Number: 27
DougSK Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not familiar with the NCT, this will be my 1st time on it....
It would be nice to have a nice meal half way through...
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DougSK   After you  cross the bridge over the Tionesta Creek at Kelletville campgrounds, make a right turn. (The trail stays on the road crossing the bridge.) After the right turn, walk along the creek for 200 / 300 yards and the road turns left. Make that left and walk in the back door of Cougar Bob's. ( or walk around the front )  This place is "rustic" but good food, large portions, cold beer, good prices. They don't care how muddy your feet are. After you've eaten, walk up the driveway and make a left on the hard road, Rt 666. Follow for about 1/3 mile and watch for a sign at the bottom of a dirt road. The trail goes up that dirt road.

--------------
 Post Number: 29
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really wanted to try this year, but I just had back surgery a few months ago so will shoot for next year.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 30
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking forward to meeting ya'll, should be there by 2

--------------
40 replies since Mar. 30 2013, 11:24 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Allegheny 100 challenge
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions