2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Halifax, PA Eatteries?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 1:20 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doing a quick overnighter at the Haldeman Tract this weekend. Should be popping out of the woods around noon. Looking for a nice Mom and Pop place as we drive back through this town. Any recommendations.

Are there bears in them thar woods? I got a call into the forest.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The pizza/sub shop at north end of town on PA 225 (in the direction of Elizabethville but right at the Halifax Boro limit) is known good. I'm not sure of the name, Google seems to think it is Pizza Delight and lists a domain in the hands of pirates. There are 2 other pizza shops in Halifax Boro but considered by locals to be not quite as good as the one on the upper end.

Denny's Lennieson south end of Halifax (PA 147/225 almost across from Sheetz) is not bad, better than the name and its appearance would suggest.

Only slightly more upscale is Stoney Creek Inn on a side street in Dauphin (have to get on old old 22, not just old 22 to find it). That particular establishment is at the last turn before the Ellendale Forge trailhead to SGL 211 but almost underneath the US 22/322 expressway.

The avatar of scratch cooking in Upper Dauphin county is The Special Place, at east end of Elizabethville Borough on US 209. On Saturday it would be well worth the 5-7 minute drive out of your way. It is as usual for such places in Pennsyltucky, CLOSED SUNDAY.

Bears? Yes they exist, and are hunted not federalized in those parts.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Apr. 10 2013, 8:34 pm)
The pizza/sub shop at north end of town on PA 225 (in the direction of Elizabethville but right at the Halifax Boro limit) is known good. I'm not sure of the name, Google seems to think it is Pizza Delight and lists a domain in the hands of pirates.

The one on the funny "traffic from the other direction stops" turn? Right before you get to Armstrong park? Yeah, I don't know the name of that one either (you'd think I would since I've ordered from there), but it's good. So is the Chinese place in with the Giant, next to Subway, behind McDonalds...but it's not exactly local cuisine. My friends really liked their walnut chicken.

Gonder's Grubb House (previously and maybe currently known as the mountain House) is also...full of local flavor between E-ville and Halifax.

Doyle Hotel in Duncannon on the way south is a classic fixture - great fries, as is 3B's ice cream going south on 225, and Red Rabbit drive-in in Duncannon is not to be missed (according to the Food Channel).

Which way back are you driving?
 Post Number: 4
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've tried none of the below, but a friend who lives there has the following to say:

There's Denny's/Lennie's on the main drag in Halifax (Rt. 225/147).............they now accept credit cards (wowwie) and actually have some pretty good basic fare, and some basic non-craft beers.  It's your basic diner.  Expect to be stared at if you're not from in town.   It's sorta a deliverance thing, but not as bad.  They're tryin' to figure out iffen you be re-lated.

Now down at Dauphin, you have the Stoney Creek Inn, which has some pretty good fare, good beers... owned by Greeks, they pro'ly still have Greek cuisine as well, steaks, etc.  This one is the better of the two. Nice place to chill and have some good brews.

The BBQ place is open Thursday and Friday, behind Lisi's Texaco station.  Good chicken there, but that's too early in the week.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 2:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the Forest, pretty much PA 225 south to U.S. 22/322.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 2:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Denny's Lenny's sounds pretty quirky. I can do quirky especially if they serve breakfast til 1:00. I stopped for gas at the Sheetz the last time so unless there is more than 1 Sheetz I should be able to find it.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 7
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Apr. 11 2013, 2:13 am)
Denny's Lenny's sounds pretty quirky. I can do quirky especially if they serve breakfast til 1:00. I stopped for gas at the Sheetz the last time so unless there is more than 1 Sheetz I should be able to find it.

Good choice  :)
 Post Number: 8
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 6:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pizza shop at north end is indeed called Pizza Delight. I pulled in to their parking lot yesterday (morning before they opened) to check but saw no hours posted on the door.

Denny's Lennies on their sign says Open 7 Days. As you may have seen that is not specified on their website. Food they have, the Purple Fiddle it ain't.

I would not disagree with the first two items in post #4 from personal experience. I have not been to the BBQ place.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Denny's Lennies on their sign says Open 7 Days. As you may have seen that is not specified on their website. Food they have, the Purple Fiddle it ain't"

I would never expect the quirkiness of "Da Fiddle" to ever be duplicated. Where else could you find such a perfect mixture of good light fare, craft beers .... and ice cream served in a sea of genuine antiques, nostalgia and an odd collection of hand-me-down furniture, sometimes topped with real sh**-kickin Appalachian Music (Please don't tell them it's Blue-grass cause they'll deny it.). It's like the best ever backpacker's LSD trip.

I'll settle for Sausage Gravy and Biscuits a@ noon.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
8 replies since Apr. 10 2013, 1:20 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Halifax, PA Eatteries?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions