2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Special Request to all WV hikers< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 8:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just reading posts here and elsewhere, it seems there is a potential for a lot of trail damage from the storms this past winter. I appreciate the two so far (in April) from the Sods and Otter Creek, both of which were (and that is definitely past tense now!) in my itinerary for a spring hike.
Might be nice to share any observances we have of trail conditions as we get out this spring/summer. It might be quite a while before all the damage is cleared up.

I can't help but wonder - which storm(s) would have caused so much downfall?
Was it from the Hurricane Sandy snow?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With constant wind and icy glop I expected more down on my A.T. section (St. Anthony's Wilderness north of Harrisburg PA) but there was very little apart from a couple of long dead hemlocks that finally fell. It couldn't be still left over from last summer's derecho could it?
 Post Number: 3
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3pinner,

It seems that the damage is hit and miss. I've hiked all winter at Cooper's Rock State Forest and damage was minor. Same for Quebec Run Wild Area in PA. Some of the damage was from Sandy and the rest appears to be from a very strong east wind storm in early March. I just got back a week ago from a hike in Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge and saw no damage whatsoever there. Will keep updating as I get out.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 4
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been all over the Harpers Ferry area including the AT north and south of town and found the trails to be in good condition.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 5
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

seems like the Mon got it pretty bad.

however, i know a guy going to north fork mountain this weekend and i can ask him for a damage report which i will then post.
 Post Number: 6
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Apr. 23 2013, 9:17 am)
I've been all over the Harpers Ferry area including the AT north and south of town and found the trails to be in good condition.

The Allegheny Front in the WV Highlands acts like a precipitation dam causing more rain and snow to fall to its west, leaving the more eastern mountains drier. North Mountain, for example, is in great shape compared to the Sods and Otter Creek.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Apr. 23 2013, 9:10 am)
3pinner,

It seems that the damage is hit and miss. I've hiked all winter at Cooper's Rock State Forest and damage was minor. Same for Quebec Run Wild Area in PA. Some of the damage was from Sandy and the rest appears to be from a very strong east wind storm in early March. I just got back a week ago from a hike in Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge and saw no damage whatsoever there. Will keep updating as I get out.

I wonder what Canaan Mt is like, especially since it is not Wilderness and that mountain bikers do a lot to keep it open. I think I have to relocate by August Otter Creek hike. I'm thinking either their or DSN. I doubt that area is effected like the southern part with all of  the wide open spaces. I was looking forward to some good swimming holes that time of the year though.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We hiked some trails around the Middle Mountain-Laurel Fork area two weeks ago.  Not much damage in that area.  But like others have said, it's spotty.

I heard parts of Cranberry got hit pretty bad. We hiked it in the fall and some of the trails were still bad with blow downs from the summer storm.

I probably won't get back in there again before this fall though.
 Post Number: 9
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From my observations it seems the most damage was at lower elevations, as the 2-3' of snow that fell was heavier lower down where it was a bit warmer.  From what i have observed up high, things seem to be ok.  As Arfcomhkr has stated, Laurel Fork seems to be ok, spotty, but nothing major.  

Otter Creek and that whole area is a disaster, down low and up high, and as far as Cranberry, Williams river rd, and Cranberry campground, as well as Summit lake got it hard as well, so i would assume the wilderness was hit hard as well.  Some of the areas in Cranberry won't open till well after Memorial day, maybe closer to July 4th, as the FS had to contract out the tree removal.

Canaan Mtn, I have no idea on.  Arfcomhkr and i will probably do a June trip up in there, so i guess we'll see then.
 Post Number: 10
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the replies - looks to be an 'interesting' season for all of us. It would be interesting to see an aerial view.

Nice to hear the FS is working on Cranberry, hopefully Otter Creek is in the lineup as well.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Apr. 23 2013, 1:04 pm)
I wonder what Canaan Mt is like, especially since it is not Wilderness and that mountain bikers do a lot to keep it open. I think I have to relocate by August Otter Creek hike. I'm thinking either their or DSN. I doubt that area is effected like the southern part with all of  the wide open spaces. I was looking forward to some good swimming holes that time of the year though.

MR,

There's a nice swimming hole on Lindy Run accessed by a fisherman's trail off of the CLR.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(3pinner @ Apr. 23 2013, 6:04 pm)
Thanks for the replies - looks to be an 'interesting' season for all of us. It would be interesting to see an aerial view.

Nice to hear the FS is working on Cranberry, hopefully Otter Creek is in the lineup as well.

Well, they are working on the camping areas.  They make money off of those, so those will get cleared first.  As far as trails, well don't hold your breath with anything the gov. does these days. ???
 Post Number: 13
dunkard Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was on Canaan mnt this weekend (4-20). Hiked up to the benchmark on Mozark mnt.  No issues there followed an old forest road and bushwhacked the last 0.25 miles. Encountered some blow downs but nothing out of the ordinary for an early spring hike. Then I attempted to reach the benchmark at pointy knob via the western trailhead of pointy knob trail. This area was a disaster. Lots of blow downs from a recent event (needles and buds on the downed trees). I turned around after 1/3 of a mile to rough for pack travel for me.
I'm planning a trip up flatrock to roaring plains anyone been up that trail yet
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know it's mainly in VA, but does anyone have trail info from the Laurel Fork area of Virginia? Thinking about going down in about 3 weeks.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dunkard @ Apr. 24 2013, 7:30 pm)
I was on Canaan mnt this weekend (4-20). Hiked up to the benchmark on Mozark mnt.  No issues there followed an old forest road and bushwhacked the last 0.25 miles. Encountered some blow downs but nothing out of the ordinary for an early spring hike. Then I attempted to reach the benchmark at pointy knob via the western trailhead of pointy knob trail. This area was a disaster. Lots of blow downs from a recent event (needles and buds on the downed trees). I turned around after 1/3 of a mile to rough for pack travel for me.
I'm planning a trip up flatrock to roaring plains anyone been up that trail yet

Good to know.  I'm planning a trip for early June up that way, Pointy knob was kinda on the list, guess I'll just have to play it by ear.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any more updates anyone?

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just talked to Shasta at the Cheat Ranger District in Parsons and she said that crews have started working on the trails in Otter Creek and should be done in a few weeks. She wasn't sure where they had started from.

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Apr. 30 2013, 8:30 am)
Just talked to Shasta at the Cheat Ranger District in Parsons and she said that crews have started working on the trails in Otter Creek and should be done in a few weeks. She wasn't sure where they had started from.

Awesome!!  That gives me a little bit of hope that maybe the other districts are working as well.  Hopefully Cranberry will get cleared.

Thanks for calling them! :cool:
 Post Number: 19
celestialdancer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 3:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How do these trails look good like the ones in north bend?
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

celestial,

Not sure what you're asking. Could you restate the question.

--------------
19 replies since Apr. 22 2013, 8:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Special Request to all WV hikers
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions