2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ramsey's TR, overdue..< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 8:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last weekend, before my Sods trip, I did a BP in Va's Ramsey's Draft Wilderness.  A rugged, remote, area in GWNF.  This trip also marked my first trip as a hike leader for midatlantic backpacker's meetup.  We lucked out with clear sunny skies, and temps in the high 60s.  We car camped at the trail head Friday night and then started bright and early up the draft to Hiner Spring.

first good view of the draft...

trail was badly washed out in the bottom, so we had to perform a bushwack and Indiana Jones-esque log crossing to regain the trail.  everyone had a blast.

The draft was pretty high and some of my vertically impaired hikers were up to their waist.  I like to call this picture, "...by whatever means necessary."

a much needed lunch and sock wringing at the intersection with Jerry's Run.

this was getting old.  I lost count after about 16 crossings.

otherwise the trail was in pretty tip-top shape.

side-trip to Hardscrabble Knob.

camp in the bowl area above Hiner Spring just off the draft trail.

shenandoah mtn trail on the way home was a gentle joy and much needed break.

special thanks to MrHyker for trip map and description!  :)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On my list for this year. My father used to hunt this area when I was a kid. He always talked about the big Hemlock groves upstream. Most of them are gone now from what I hear.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought(hoped) I would see one healthy Hemlock, but sadly, the last living ones didn't look too good, and will most likely not make it through the year.
 Post Number: 4
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet. That is being added to my list of must do hikes.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 5
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

aseege,

I take it from your TR that there wasn't much in the way of tree blowdowns from Sandy or other storms? Or had there been and the trails had been cleared? I'm trying to get some trail beta on the Laurel Fork, VA area and can't get anything. The Warm Springs Ranger District said no one has been into Laurel Fork this year and that they had bad blowdowns in their area. They couldn't even tell me if FR106 was open. Geez!

Since Ramsey's Draft is fairly close to Laurel Fork I'm hoping for some leads. Thanks.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hemlocks are falling like crazy over there but I was pretty impressed.  95 percent of blowdowns were chainsawed, and all harsh vegetation was cleared.  What logs we did scramble over were fresh falls - and that was only the draft trail.  The SMT was 100 percent clear.
5 replies since Apr. 23 2013, 8:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ramsey's TR
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions