2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Allegany national forest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Sshock517 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 2:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum but hoping everyone can help me out, me and my cousins are going to be camping/kayaking/fishing in allegany national forest, I've been looking into and it's a big place, I was hoping someone on here could maybe tell me a general area that would be best suited for kayaking and primitive camping, we use a blow up kayak so we hike a lot as well.  Any help is great! Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cook Forest State Park for camping. The Clarion River is a beautiful river. I have some hikes on my website. I've hiked the northern most part of the North Country Trail that goes into New York. There are primitive campsites all along the lake there. Many you have to hike or boat to. I keep scheduling a backpacking trip starting about 25 miles north-west of Cook Forest and ending there but it's been thwarted either by ill health or weather (Super storm Sandy the last time.) They tell me the third time's a charm so maybe this year.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks man I checked out your site it looks a great source of info! I'm trying to find primitive places around the eastern part of the clarion river.
 Post Number: 4
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is Clear Creek SP but I don't think you'd consider that primitive.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay well I was looking at the map of alleghany NF and I saw all the creeks running off the clarion. I couldn't find out how deep they are, like could a small kayak go up them?
 Post Number: 6
HarpinMick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Allegheny River is a nice trip. It's very wide and there are plenty of islands to camp on. There are a few canoe liveries that provide canoe & kayak rentals or just a shuttle if you have your own.

The trip I like doing is starting at the dam above Warren and paddling down to Tionesta (40 miles) or just start at Warren and shave off about 4 miles. It takes me 3 days to do that trip, but you can do a shorter one by taking out in Tidioute.

The 2 liveries I've used are Outback Adventures in Tionesta and Allegheny Outfitters in Warren. As far as I know both are still in business.

Good Luck, Mick
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks mic I've read into that a lot, I wasn't sure if your allowed to actually camp on the islands but if you can that's awsome. Are there plenty of trails down the river. Bc I was thinking we'd kayak a day down n then hike back up to the car. Just wondering what the trails were like along the river.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HarpinMick @ May 23 2013, 5:11 pm)
The Allegheny River is a nice trip. It's very wide and there are plenty of islands to camp on. There are a few canoe liveries that provide canoe & kayak rentals or just a shuttle if you have your own.

The trip I like doing is starting at the dam above Warren and paddling down to Tionesta (40 miles) or just start at Warren and shave off about 4 miles. It takes me 3 days to do that trip, but you can do a shorter one by taking out in Tidioute.

The 2 liveries I've used are Outback Adventures in Tionesta and Allegheny Outfitters in Warren. As far as I know both are still in business.

Good Luck, Mick

Sorry I just re read one thing I noticed you said the liveries coul possible shuttle you even if you don't use their kayas (you have your own). That could work out really well actually.
 Post Number: 9
HarpinMick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of the islands are private property, some are part of a recreation area. There is no way to tell the difference unless there is a private property sign. No one has ever told me I had to leave. I have gotten the stink eye from people while stopping at an island, I get the impression the locals get irritated by loud partiers.

There are vacation homes in many sections along the river as well as a road but it is a very enjoyable trip . There are some long stretches where you won't see anyone. The river is wide enough that you will have plenty of solitude.

The liveries should be able to provide you with a crude map that the state puts out. Heres a link to one with greater detail:
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails/alleg/trailmap.htm
 Post Number: 10
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tionesta Creek is a nice float, you can pull off and hike Minister Creek, the most popular, and among the most scenic trails in ANF.

Clarion is a gorgeous river.  Ridgeway to Hallton is beautiful with many good campsites along the way.

For lake paddling, do the reservoir, many campgrounds along the shore and several hook into the Tracy Ridge trails.
 Post Number: 11
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out Tracy Ridge Campgrounds.  It's within the ANF and borders the Allegheny Reservoir.  You could camp, hike, kayak & fish from the same campsite.

--------------
"Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 7:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the info! Right now we are deciding on wether to do the alleghany river or Do the ridgway to hallton on the clarion, in your experiance which one has more remote campsites and can you camp anywhere along the clarion or are there designated camp grounds only?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Clarion is more beautiful and remote than the Allegheny.  There are many primitive campsites along the Clarion, some are very scenic, no campgrounds to my knowledge for the section you are doing.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://fishandboat.com/watertrails/trailindex.htm

Map and guide for the Clarion is above, No. 5 on the index.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks man that map n guide are absolutely Perfect, have you personally done any particular section of it that is like a must see area?
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2013, 12:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ridgway to Hallton is a must see, although most of the river is very nice.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you all for your information it's really
Helping me plan this trip. One last thing I'm from DE and not familiar with the Pa fishing regulations, what permit would have I to get to fish that portion of the clarion, and be able to keep any fish within size ?

Thanks Sam
 Post Number: 18
stlcard25 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry, double post...
 Post Number: 19
stlcard25 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Sshock517 @ May 28 2013, 8:46 pm)
Thank you all for your information it's really
Helping me plan this trip. One last thing I'm from DE and not familiar with the Pa fishing regulations, what permit would have I to get to fish that portion of the clarion, and be able to keep any fish within size ?

Thanks Sam

You'd want to get your standard non-resident license plus a trout stamp. You can buy and print your licenses from here... https://www2.pa.wildlifelicense.com/start.php
18 replies since May 23 2013, 2:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Allegany national forest
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions