2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sideling Hill/Roaring Run introduction, late June?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2013, 9:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another hike to propose a general invitation for.  This is located in the Sideling Hill Tract of Buchanan State Forest, a few miles east of Breezewood, PA.  The meeting place would be the Sideling Hill Picnic Area, on the south side of US-30.  The hike would be a loop using some cross country ski trails, woods roads, the Bald Hill Trail, the Roaring Run Trail, and the Cliff Trail.  Highlights include a wonderful overlook off of Bark Road, the picturesque Roaring Run ravine; hopefully the timing will be right to have both a laurel and rhododendron bloom, and a couple of vernal ponds.  Expect wildlife, but few humans, if any.  This was listed as one of my five favorite hikes of 2010.

The hike will be between 9.0 and 10.5 miles, depending on just what route we take; which will be decided during the hike.  (One choice will be made depending on if there has been recent logging near the Bald Hill Trail, and the other will be depending on how we feel near the end of the hike.  There will be two moderate stream crossings, one of which will be a ford (and due to erosion may give a slight challenge getting out of the streambed), the other will be a rock hop or ford depending on conditions.  There will be some mucky areas, some short overgrown stretches, and some blowdowns to navigate.  There are no (planned) bushwhacks, and I don't think we'd get lost and have to do any unplanned ones either.

Even if no one else wants to go, I will still be doing this hike.  Right now I'm thinking Sunday June 23, 10:15 AM.  I can do Saturday, or the next weekend depending on interest and weather.  Heavy rain the day before, or forecast for the day of the hike will result in cancellation; Roaring Run is susceptible to flash flooding.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
sam123 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ed, I'd like to participate.  I last hiked with you on MRHiker's outing in March at the Sleepy Creek WMA.  I'll have room for others if they want to meet at the I-70 /Rt 94 park & ride.

Sam
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, good.  Right now the weather says that this Saturday would be the best time, but that could always change.

Anyone else?

(If anyone wants a preview, here's the photo album of my first hike there; the route will be mostly the same.)

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 4
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ed,

I'm going to be off of the trail for quite some time. Take care of my peeps! They're the best!

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Forgot to add: if either of you want to send the invitation out to your standard group feel free to.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 7:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ed, have another person interested.  Saturday looks good weatherwise, also it would be better trafficwise.  Even though it's a rural interstate, I-70 East has a lot of tie-ups on Sunday afternoons.

Sam
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, let's make it Saturday 10:15 AM.  Trailhead is at the Sideling Hill Picnic Area, on the south/eastbound side of US-30, just over 5 miles east of Breezewood.  There is a State Forest maintenance building on the north side of the road across from the picnic area.

Coordinates are 40.0157 N, 78.1526 W

I'll get a couple maps up later, perhaps tomorrow.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trail map; route shown in orange, the longest potential loop; may be shortened.  Counterclockwise.  Trailhead is at the north end of the loop.

Area map

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 7:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saturday it is.  Have two others meeting me at the Rt 94 park & ride, room for one more if anyone else is interested.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Photos are up.  I'll leave the commenting to others; but I think it was a good hike, except for the one tick infested area.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This was a nice hike.  Interesting terrain, long enough for a decent work out, and good weather other than being a little warm.  The overlook was the real highlight for me, with the clear day letting us see the numerous ridge lines to the east.  A very quiet and peaceful place, we didn't see any other hikers, also looking way out in the distance to PA Rt 30, not a single car.  Seemed like the rest of the world stopped -  I could have stayed longer at the overlook, but the gnats were really starting to swarm.  John, Don, and I greatly appreciated this opportunity and look forward to the next!

Sam
10 replies since Jun. 13 2013, 9:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sideling Hill/Roaring Run introduction
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions