2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rothrock questions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 3:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a 50% chance my next hike will be in Rothrock State Forest.  There are perhaps two places I am thinking of going.  One of my goals is to continue rhododendron hiking, and of course find blueberries and good scenic trails.

The main loop I am thinking of involves the MST and the Bear Meadows area.  Describing the loop at an arbitrary point, I am thinking of taking the MST at the Thwaites monument, heading trail north past Indian Wells and thence into Detweiler Run.  I then somehow make my way over to the John Wert Path, back to the Bear Meadows Area, perhaps taking Jean Aron, Lonberger, and Kettle to get back to the Thwaites monument.

On the MST map, it shows the Reichley Trail as connecting the MST and John Wert Path.  How reasonable would it to take Reichley in the summer?  It's also one of the few trails in this area I've not found a GPS trace for. nor is it visible in photos, which concerns me about its shape.  Or, if I have to pick something else, what's the best way to add Bear Meadows to my loop?  Is using the Jean Aron path on the east side enough, or should I loop around?

My second idea would be a sort of Greenwood Furnace-Alan Seeger hike.  The first half getting from GFSP to the Natural Area is obvious.  It's finding a good way back that I can see issues from.  I see two ways.  One would be, from the Greenwood Spur, to take the Yoder Trail east to the Ross Trail, and take that back up Broad Mountain, and then go down Ruff Gap to Spencer to get back to the park.  The other would be to head west on Yoder, to the Telephone Trail, and take that upslope and flanking Broad Mountain Back.

The issue for either of these is that the Yoder and Telephone Trains (on the northern slope of Borad Mountain, and west of Seeger Road) are ones I don't have GPS traces for, nor are they visible in aerial photos.  So, basically, the same question.  Are these trails in good shape for summer hiking?

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
PAHiker2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The answer to your question about the Reichley Trail is that the Reichley Trail is not really there anymore. We have been working on opening it from the junction with the MST to where it crosses the gated off Detweiler Road. So far we have cleared about one third of the trail at each of the ends leaving the center to locate and clear followed by yellow blazing before it will be open. There is a sign at each end of this segment. At this point I don't think it will be open until this fall/winter when time permits. The rest of the Reichly Trail from Detweiler Rd. over the mountain to John Wert Path is totally overgrown, unblazed, and unsigned to the best of my knowledge. If anyone knows different feel free to correct me. It would be a good project for someone with time (and energy) on their hands. Shingle Path, however, is open for business although it would add some distance to your hike.
    I can't answer your questions about the trails around the Greenwood Spur as I have been curious about them myself but have not had time to check them out.
 Post Number: 3
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The first hike I ever did in the Rothrock was a version of the first loop that used the pipeline over Thickhead Mountain (and the stem of the balloon down to Alan Seeger to boot). It was grueling even when I was in much better shape. The rock ballast on the old Detweiler Run grade isn't bad hitting it fresh, but seems to sense tired ankles and becomes unrelenting. Maybe better early in the day and back around on MST which (I know you'll be shocked to hear this) is not exactly a rail trail on Fourth Mountain either.
 Post Number: 4
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 9:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is 13 miles too much? You might be able to shorten this:

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/bearmeadows-indianwells.htm

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks everyone.  Looks like I'll write off the Reichley Trail for now.  I'll probably do something loosely based on Mike's loop; there are some obvious ways to get it down to a good length.  Of course, I've also decided I'm not going to Bear Meadows for my next hike; it's a bit further away than I want to drive right now; so it can wait until later.

Greenwood Furnace is still a possibility, but I'd still like to know something about Yoder/Telephone; though perhaps I already have from what I've not heard.  

Though, chances are I'm going to the other place I was thinking of; should still be rhododendrons, some good views, wildlife, and I suspect complete solitude.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I remember trying Telephone Trail maybe 9-10 years ago and it wasn't great then.

In the Rothrock and Bald Eagle, it's a safe first bet that if it's not adopted by MTB folks and showing on their sites, or part of the MST or SST systems, any given trail on the topo either never existed or hasn't been cleared for decades.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the weather is good, I'm going to Rothrock this weekend.  I'm considering three possible hikes, want opinions as to which one to do.

A) Bear Meadows version #1.  Start at the main parking area, east on John Wert to Pipeline, briefly north and take Shingle Path to Tussey Mtn Trail.  Take that west to the Kettle Trail, take it northwest to the MST (and yes, I realize how "fun" that climb will be).  The MST trail north past Indian Wells, to Sand Spring Path down into Bear Meadows, along the southern edge back to the parking area.

B) Bear Meadows #2.  Start at the same place.  North on Jean Aron, then continuing onto Lonenburger into Gailbrith Gap.  Take Spruce Gap Trail up to MST by the Little Flat tower, Trail north on MST as in hike A.

C) Jackson loop.  Start near PA-26 and Pine Swamp Rd, and Ironstone Trail.  Take a snowmobile trail NW crossing 26, and a woods road to the Campbell Trail.  Take that up to the MST.  Trail north on the MST to the Jo Hays Vista, then continuing on the Jackson Trail.  Back at the MST, go trail south to the Ironstone Trail, which will take me back to complete the loop.

All hikes are in the 9.5-10.5 mile range.  I've not done any part of any of them.  Well?

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

B. would be the "classic" loop with likely best trail conditions. It seems you like going closer to the edge sometimes but that hike would be a great introduction to the area. I'd recommend you divert slightly to check out Keith Spring too, it's surprisingly little downhill from the highest point in Huntingdon County (which hides somewhere in the laurel on Big Flat, likely within millimeters in height from the peak of the pointiest rock in the treadway on the MST summit).

Bear in mind Oct 12 is Homecoming game at PSU. This will have noticeable traffic effects even in such places as Orbisonia. It would definitely be worthwhile to approach the main Bear Meadows parking lot from the over the mountain south/Alan Seeger-ish direction.
 Post Number: 9
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With all of these you will experience some rocky trail but C by far has the most. Your knees and ankles will never be the same but you will get several nice views on the Jackson Tr section.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Indian Wells, with Bear Meadows starting to turn color should be a great view around now. And, yes, not AS rocky as Jackson Trail.
 Post Number: 11
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Indian Wells Vista is awesome.  Check out Alan Seeger Natural Area while in the neighborhood, if you like big trees and rhodo tunnels.
10 replies since Jul. 07 2013, 3:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rothrock questions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions