2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: allegheny front trail, conditions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 4:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anybody know the latest trail conditions of the AFT?  I heard it finally received some long needed TLC but I'd like to know when that was and how much was done.  There is a report on the KTA website, but it is not dated and doesn't have too much in the way of details.  Was hoping someone had the inside scoop.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try the search feature. j/k  I think Iheard it was in good shape after some work last summer. I will see what I can find over at hammock forums.
 Post Number: 3
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a link to a trip planner for AFT last june/july. You can read it all, just post #34, or believe it was worked on for a week last June and was in good shape last july. What it is now I don't know.   Link
 Post Number: 4
superhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I overnighted the eastern loop in March.  It was in excellent shape at that time, except for parts of the Moss Hanne with its nearly unmaintainable rhododendron tunnels.
 Post Number: 5
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The KTA just spent 5 days in June (2013) working on the trail. Here is what we did.

"The first day of work focused on a re-route along Six Mile Run, to take the trail away from a collapsing bank; the re-route also addressed some of the wet areas with stone steppers.  The work focus then shifted to the Benner Run/ Hall Run section and the Rock Run Ski Loop.  This section was badly overgrown and needed to be re-blazed from orange to yellow.  Laurel hand-lopping, power brushcutters and a blazing team were dispatched over the next two days to clear the AFT, while a sawyer team cut through the Rock Run and Shingle Mill Trails.

Saturday brought the Crew, in force, to the Shingle Mill Trail, where lopping, brushwhacking and reblazing was again the order of the day. Sunday saw the Crew finishing up loose ends and packing out.  The Allegheny Front Trail is currently in the best shape it has been in for several years, and the hikers that the Crew encountered throughout the week were effusive in their thanks and praise for their work on the trail.  "
 Post Number: 6
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is great news.  So it looks like it got a week of work last summer, and a week this summer.  Bravo to the KTA, good folks!  :)
5 replies since Jul. 09 2013, 4:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply allegheny front trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions