2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Trips with kids in mind, Trying to Nail Down a Good Spot< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 1:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few years ago my wife and I managed to get out for a night with our, at the time one year old son.  He is now almost four and way more mobile than he was then.  Although that is a wonderful thing is also brings some trouble as he cannot (will not) hike for miles without getting bored.  We also have an almost two year old who loves to walk but would more than likely ride in the carrier until we got to our destination.

What I'm trying to find is where would be a good spot to get out for the night with them?  I'm hoping to have a few others along with us to act as a support crew since I cannot carry a big load and the kiddo.  I was thinking about hiking into Sone's Pond on the Loyalsock Trail.  You know, park somewhere close and hike in.  The camping area is pretty big so there's room for them to move around.  We could even fish if we so chose.  More likely than not it will be an over night trip only and not a full on weekend outing.

I also thought about the Old Loggers path since there's an abundance of waterfalls and swimming holes, etc.  But I haven't yet looked to see if it was feasible to do a short hike in.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you interested only in PA?

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 3
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sones Pond is beautiful.  Very short hike in.  2-3 great campsites.

Haystacks is an ideal choice.  Easy hike, several campsites, no fires allowed.

Short hike on OLP from Yellow Dog Rd down to Rock Run.  Again, very nice.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jul. 10 2013, 3:40 pm)
Are you interested only in PA?

No, not particularly.  I would consider parts of NY as well.  It's funny, any time I think of camping or going on a trip outside of PA it's north, as if the south doesn't exist.  But there are plenty of very nice spots down there, they just wouldn't work out for this trip I don't think.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Jmitch, I was thinking the same places.  I got to break out the maps.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Huh. For some reason i thought you lived in MD.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope, I'm a PA guy.  I've backpacked down in WV in the Otter Creek area and it is awesome, but I think it's just too much for my kids to sit through the car ride, 6 hours, then hoofin' it for camping.  Not yet anyway.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs....941.pdf

Brochure for the Haystacks
 Post Number: 9
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Hertlein Campsite along the A.T. has some rougher less boring trail  to get into it, we did a more or less successful overnight with our daughter and another her age.

I have seen others head in to Sand Run Falls along MST in Tioga County but distance long enough from reasonable parking might be tough with a 4 yo.
8 replies since Jul. 10 2013, 1:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Trips with kids in mind
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions