2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mon Forest Sandy Damage Update< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 4:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FS released a update on the status of trails and campgrounds in the forest:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mnf/alerts-notices/?aid=18676
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's the text:

Storm Damage update: 7/15/2013
Hurricane Sandy left the Monongahela with extensive damage, especially in the northwestern and southwestern portions of the Forest.  While considerable progress has been made in clearing damage resulting from the heavy snows and high winds, visitors will still encounter closed sites and downfall on trails. Just recently the last of the closed developed campgrounds to be cleared, Stuart and Horseshoe, have been re-opened. Water and electric service may still be limited at these areas.  All developed campgrounds are now open.  The last of the necessary repairs to the main Otter Creek trail in the Otter Creek Wilderness have just been completed.  Possession Camp and Green Mountain Trails in Otter Creek still have damage, which will be cleared in late summer or early autumn.  All other Forest trails are considered open, but it is quite possible some downed trees may still be encountered.
The Forest has several areas of marked campsites located outside of major developed areas.  Numbered sites 11, 13, 14, and 15 along the Cranberry River have been re-opened; and all sites along the Williams except 6, and 8-16 have been opened.  Until dangerous overhanging or broken trees are removed the other sites must remain closed for safety reasons. Closed sites are marked as such.
Main Forest Service roads which are normally open to traffic have all been cleared.  Those roads which are seasonally closed or permanently closed to motorized traffic may still have downed trees.  Work to clear known damage will begin in the next few weeks.
Visitors are reminded that the situation is still changing, and that additional damage is being found even as areas are cleared.  The weight of summer foliage has caused some trees to break, and in high winds limbs and entire trees are still coming down.  Keep an eye on whats going on overhead as well as around you while using the Forest.

From this it sounds like the landslide on Otter Creek trail should be taken care of.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds that way.  I wanted to get up in there and check it out, but time, and the weather just didn't agree.

I'm more concerned with what the area around Summit Lake, and Falls of Hills creek near Cranberry are like since arfcomhkr, and I and some fellas are planning a 32miler in September over that way.
 Post Number: 4
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jnk556 @ Jul. 17 2013, 3:49 pm)
Sounds that way. I wanted to get up in there and check it out, but time, and the weather just didn't agree.

I'm more concerned with what the area around Summit Lake, and Falls of Hills creek near Cranberry are like since arfcomhkr, and I and some fellas are planning a 32miler in September over that way.

Are you planning on doing the Pocahontas/Fork Mountain hike on my site or in my book?

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Jul. 18 2013, 12:37 pm)

(jnk556 @ Jul. 17 2013, 3:49 pm)
Sounds that way. I wanted to get up in there and check it out, but time, and the weather just didn't agree.

Are you planning on doing the Pocahontas/Fork Mountain hike on my site or in my book?

Yes that would be the hike.  Any insights on that hike?
 Post Number: 6
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recommend the shuttle. Furthermore, the Fork Mt Tr may now go all the way to the ranger station on Rt 39. Last I heard they were waiting on funding for a bridge across Cherry River. You might want to call them.

For me the hardest part was climbing up from the Falls.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Jul. 19 2013, 9:59 am)
I recommend the shuttle. Furthermore, the Fork Mt Tr may now go all the way to the ranger station on Rt 39. Last I heard they were waiting on funding for a bridge across Cherry River. You might want to call them.

For me the hardest part was climbing up from the Falls.

Yeah, it is one place I know nothing about.  I still need to drive over there and scout it out.  We'll probably do a shuttle, and park one vehicle at the end, and one at Summit lake.  Since it's pretty close, if we have to, we'll just haul someone in the bed of the truck.

The climb up from the falls is really the only big climbing I see, and it looks to only be about 2mi or so..

It's wrote in on the schedule, pending further investigation by me :laugh:
6 replies since Jul. 16 2013, 4:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mon Forest Sandy Damage Update
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions