2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: trail help!, trail help!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Sshock517 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 10:03 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey everyone im from delaware I wqs really hoping you guys can help me. My cousin n I are looking for a great river to kayak thats withibg distant to hike a 3000k moutain range' we have hiking portable kayaks so. We are looking to be able to kayak and hike to a peak. We are looking to travel like max 7 hours for a 3 day weekend. Any places like this?? Thanks Sam
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

7 hours from where?

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 3
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dont know where you are talking but two good options for a combined paddling/backpack trip is either on the shenandoah river (use downriver canoe company and take out in front royal, stow a car and then drive to signal knob/three top mountain area)

or

New River, WV - lots of white water paddling, and then take out and continue to follow the river trail (no elevation change here tho)

those are two ideas - google can help with the specifics.
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3000k moutain range'

3,000,000'? Not in this solar system....  :p

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I doubt that it will fall into the 7 hours driving from where you're at, but the Upper Shavers Fork of the Cheat is one of the highest rivers East of the Mississippi.  

You can drive up FS roads (FR235 in the MNF) and hike back in about 7 miles to fairly close to the headwaters. Drop a vehicle somewhere downstream.

You might be able to get in from Snowshoe ski resort. I've never tried that, but it's less of a hike to the river if you can.
 Post Number: 6
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are several locations along Pine Creek in northern PA where backpacking trails approach the creek. The tops of the dissected plateau are in the 1800-1900' range with creek in about the 800' range making for 1000'+/- climbs. There are numerous views from the plateau edges but only Gillespie Point on Mid State Trail is sufficiently dissected to be a "peak".

Knowing a bit more about what distances you want to cover hiking and kayaking might enable suggestions of routes. One I can guess at would go in at Blackwell, rise on Bohen Trail to West Rim Trail, head in to Colton Point State Park and down the west side Turkey Path to put in to Pine Creek to return to Blackwell. (Or Rattlesnake Rock about two miles south, a more commodious parking area.)
5 replies since Jul. 24 2013, 10:03 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply trail help!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions