2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking to backpack near Buffalo Western NY Area< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mikes239 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 4:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will be traveling from Florida to Ellicottville NY in October to visit family and would like to do a overnight or two day backpack trip. I have searched for suggestions but can not find much online. I used to backpack Minister Creek, PA in the Allegheny and was wondering if there were any other good options closer to Ellicottville or Buffalo?

Thanks,
MIKE S
Naples, FL.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

North Country Trail goes near or thru Ellicottville., then turns south to Pa

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.ellicottvilleny.com/directory/finger-lakes-trail/

You could hike from Ellicottville to Rock City SF.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in western NY and lead a lot of hikes in the Ellicottville (or Evile, as the locals call it) area.  I'm a licensed NYS Outdoor Guide - you could try hiring me but you won't be able to because I don't charge for my services.  So you are in luck, you are about to get free professional guide advice.  Pay it forward some day to some hapless soul you encounter on the trail.

The Finger Lakes/North Country trail runs from the border of NY and Pa, through Allegaany State Park, then over private land and state forests to a point northeast of Evile, where it then heads more generally east toward the Catskills,  One major problem with the FLT/NCT is that between the public lands and private lands there are some long road walks, including one of about 5 miles from Allegany State Park to the next point where the trail re-enters the woods on Sawmill Run Road.

However, you have two decent options.  The first, and my suggested one, is the FTC/NCT through Allegany State Park.  The second has a lot more elevation gain and loss as it travels up and down several ridges, but has more non-trail involved (including the slope of a local ski resort).  The second puts you on the portion of the FLT/NCT between Saw Mill Run road and a point about 5 miles northeast of Evile.

You can get a lot information about the trails at http://www.WNYTrails.com .  And you should go to the finger lakes trail conference website to purchase the downloadable trail maps, trail guides, and gpx files for just $1.66 per map section (you will want four map sections - M1 to M4, so you get what you need for less than $7.)  http://www.fltconference.org/trail/store/maps-and-gps/maps-and-gps-files-for-instant-download/

Three are three leantos on the FLT/NCT in Allegany State Park, about 6 to 7 miles apart.  Hikers are allowed to camp at those leantos (or around the area of the leantos).  

Camping is otherwise restricted to one of the two established and improved campgrounds in the park.  There is no fee to use the leantos, but if the gate you enter is manned, you'll have to pay an $8 entry fee to the park.  However, I have never seen anyone at the gates after Labor Day.

You will need to stop at the park police office in the Red House Admin Building to give them your vehicle information to be certain it is not towed while you are on the trail.

Let me know if you need additional information after you have checked the links and downloaded the FLTC maps.
 Post Number: 5
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5107583.pdf

Tracy Ridge is nice, and it can be a loop.  Fine views of the reservoir, good camping, scenic streams.
 Post Number: 6
partly cloudy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

mikes239  I agree with jmitch, Tracy Ridge is a fine hike. You can base camp at Tracy Ridge campgrounds and do a couple loops down to the reservoir. The campgrounds is easy to get to by road. Just a distance from Evile.
 Closer to Evile is the NCT and the FLTC. I'm sure NoGods can help you with expert info.

--------------
just another trail grunt in the forest
5 replies since Jul. 24 2013, 4:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking to backpack near Buffalo Western NY Area
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions