2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cranberry Big Beechy/Middle Fork loop TR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
emerson722 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 11:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey everyone,

Thought I would give a little trip report.  My wife and I did the Big Beechy to Middle Fork loop Thursday 7/25 to Friday 7/26.  

We got to the TH around 10:30 am and began hiking at 10:50.  We went North on the Big Beechy trail.  It wasn't too bad for the first 1.5 miles or so.  The Hall of Kings was very serene.  

Then the fun began, especially after passing the District Line trail.  We passed an abandoned/destroyed tent, two sleeping bags, and a lunch box.  We lost the trail several times on the Big Beechy.  Three times, it was a little concerning.  This was mainly due to the overgrowth and many, many blow downs.  

On the middle section of the decent wrapping around mountain there were a couple of blow downs in the middle of the trail.  To the left, vertical climbing.  To the right, drop-off.  It was crazy to say the least.  It was dicey for sure.  

We now understand the exhaustion of rerouting, bush whacking, and crawling over/under/through blow downs.  

It definitely tested us.  We moved pretty slowly the last two thirds of the day.  As we rounded the mountain on our decent, we could hear water the last couple of miles.  It was teasing us.  We knew it was there, but we were still up traversing the ridge.  We made it to camp at the junction of the Middle Fork Williams River and Beechy Run around 6:10 pm.  

It was heaven!  Finally, we were there!  Priorities: drop packs, set-up tent, water, dinner, and a fire.  Wonderful camp site across from the water fall.  

We saw a few deer around dusk above our camp.  Near the end or our hike that day we found bear scat and tracks.  

The next morning we woke up around 6:30 to the birds serenading us.  We had breakfast and broke camp.  We hated to leave such a beautiful area.  We headed up stream following the Middle Fork trail around 9:00 am.  It was a much better day.  

We found more bear scat and tracks.  The trail pretty much follows the river up the whole way.  It was nice to see and hear water for most of the day.  Plus, there were fewer blow downs and the trail was a very gradual grade hiking up.  

We finished our hike around 2:30 pm.  

This hike was beautiful.  However, it was quite exhausting mentally and physically. One of the great parts of this hike was the solitude though.  

I will try to upload a few pictures soon.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to hear a TR from the Cranberry area.

Big Beechy had a lot of blow downs on it the last time I hiked it. Sounds worse now.

Laurelly Branch was pretty bad last fall also.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I have to send these  five pictures one at a time due to my lack of computer knowledge.  

This was the Hall of Kings.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This wasn't too far in on the Big Beechy trail.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This was our camp.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This was one of many wildflowers.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is Hell for Certain falls.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 8
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For the uninformed the red flower is Bee Balm. You can make a tea from the leaves.

Glad you enjoyed the trip despite the trail conditions.

FYI, maximum width for photos here is around 600 pixels. You can put, I think, up to 10 photos/post.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
Flexo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The abandoned tent and sleeping bags really have me curious.  Was anyone missing in the area?  I wonder what happened.
 Post Number: 10
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Flexo @ Jul. 31 2013, 10:38 am)
The abandoned tent and sleeping bags really have me curious.  Was anyone missing in the area?  I wonder what happened.

There's been a guy missing in there for a few years.   He was alone though.

It's not all that unusual to find an abandoned camp.  People do crazy things sometimes.  Usually kids or first timers. Bad storm or scared out by a bear.
9 replies since Jul. 26 2013, 11:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cranberry Big Beechy/Middle Fork loop TR
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions