2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sideling Hill MD, ATV trails?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2013, 10:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the bad news/some good news category.

Maryland DNR has proposed building some ATV trails in the Sideling Hill WMA, and also in the Savage River State Forest, to replace the closed ones in Green Ridge and Garret County.  The proposal is here.  

The Savage Mtn trail doesn't sound like an obvious bad idea; the proposed trail is an already existing logging road.  Granted, the Big Savage Hiking Trail is nearby, but when I scouted out the trailhead a few years ago it showed no signs of incursion, and given the area around St John's Rock, I don't see any significant increase there.

Sideling Hill is entirely different.  I've not hiked the south side there yet (MD DNR is not too enthusiastic about having good maps of their lands), so I really cannot comment on that half.  (Though I will likely be heading there next weekend if I think I can make a good loop.)  

The north half, however, I do not see it being a good idea.  One parking area (red lot) will be off of scenic 40, and will allow the dumping that is extensive there to become significantly easier, as now one could drive their stuff off of the road so they can be unseen.  Further, there are some historic jetsam along some of the trails.  Some will likely be destroyed by making the new parking areas, and others will also be vandalized by the ATV traffic.  Then there is the view from the top of the cut.  I can see a few things happening here, none good.  First, ATVs could rip up the area, including the planted trees.  Second, there could be the bad accidents/falling off the cliffs if one got too close.  Third, if the falls are anticipated, the edge may get some fencing which will disturb the view.  And of course, for the whole system there, the trails will change from lightly used rustic woods road into wide eroded tracks lacking in any vegetation.

The good news: Because of the proposal, maps of the area are now available.  Sideling Hill North; Sideling Hill South

I had been thinking about having one of my "Introduction to..." hikes at the cut, and with the proposal I may consider having it earlier.  I am thinking sometime in October.  The main issue is the hike is short, about four miles.  I may figure out some way to increase that, however.

Local Media

My Photos

My Additional Photos

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are the old ATV trails in Green Ridge open to hiking?

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think so, but I would ask GRSF themselves.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 4
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder how drunk an ORV rider would need to be to try jumping the cut.
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've written to everyone I can think of asking them to oppose the Sideling Hill site.  Nobody seems particularly interested.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 6
BigRick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last month the savage trail was still closed from last years fall storms.  If they have not fixed the trail from that yet then I am suspect they will fix it enough to keep clear for atvs.

There is the meadow mountain atv trail in Savage forest, I belive it is open
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Sep. 03 2013, 11:13 am)
I've written to everyone I can think of asking them to oppose the Sideling Hill site.  Nobody seems particularly interested.

I suppose the main problem is that few hikers know about hiking there.  Maryland seems to have a thing about making maps either nonexistent or useless, which I think is primarily to blame.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I visited the Sideling Hill South/Woodmont area last weekend to check out the area, including some of the proposed ATV system.  The Woodmont area was nice, though was a bit confusing at times, and I did get lost once.

I was on the proposed ATV system for a short distance, mainly as a short out-and-back to the top of Sideling Hill and the "other cut," and passed by a couple of others.  The main trail was overgrown and open, light poison ivy.  Continued overgrown along the top of the mountain, but I didn't follow.  The other ATV trails I passed were near unpassable at best.  Frankly, I wouldn't recommend going up there in the greener months.  (The rolling hills of Woodmont would be acceptable then.)  I suspect that the choice in this area is a trail system which may be hikable in the winter months, and not otherwise, or a system shared with ATVs which may be hikable nearly year round.  I suppose I can live with that.  Some work will be needed to prevent erosion in some spots, to protect some of the resources in the area, and to keep ATVs off of other trails which meet up with the proposed system.

I am still against ATVs for Sideling Hill North.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 9
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BigRick @ Sep. 04 2013, 2:53 pm)
Last month the savage trail was still closed from last years fall storms.  If they have not fixed the trail from that yet then I am suspect they will fix it enough to keep clear for atvs.

There is the meadow mountain atv trail in Savage forest, I belive it is open

The Big Savage Trail is a hiking only trail, not open to ATV's.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 10
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AegisIII @ Sep. 04 2013, 9:41 pm)
I suppose the main problem is that few hikers know about hiking there.  Maryland seems to have a thing about making maps either nonexistent or useless, which I think is primarily to blame.

I commented on this on another post by MR. Maryland has maps and quite good ones at that but, they want you to pay for them. I have the one for the Savage River State Forest and it' very nice. They may not have maps for everywhere though. Here's where to buy them.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 11
SidelingHillFriendsandFamilies Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello. I represent a newly formed group of concerned citizens who live on Sideling Hill and are opposed to the Maryland DNR's plans for ORV trails in our backyards.

AegisIII, we agree with your comments about how destructive ORVs would be to this hillside and it not being a good idea for all the reasons you mentionned and more.

JimInMD we are very interested and welcome your help and support.

To sign and online petition opposing ORV trails on Sideling Hill go to Petition Opposing ORV Trails on Sideling Hill

Also, there is a community input meeting this Wednesday, Sept. 25, 7pm at Hancock Town Hall.

We are hikers and residents like you and need your support and help to protect these woodlands.  

For a list officials to call to express your opposition, email savesidelinghill@aol.com

(hope this posting works as I am not familiar with this type of forum and exchange. lol)
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No ORVs on Sideling Hill petition link is

http://www.change.org/petitio....etition
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This link for the Sideling Hill petition is below.  Unfortunately, the URL is too long for these forums, so you'll have to copy/paste.  Also note that there is a meeting tomorrow (Wednesday 9-25) in Hancock about the trails.  Unfortunately, it is unlikely I'll be able to go.

http://www.change.org/petitions/maryland-department-of-natural-resources-eliminate-proposed-orv-off-road-vehicle-trails-on
-sideling-hill-mountain-in-western-maryland

I am also thinking of leading a hike up Sideling Hill this Sunday (9-29) if anyone wants to go.  Probably get up there about 10:00.  I'm thinking the basic road cut loop of just under four miles.  Then an optional hike at either Woodmont (about four miles) or the Sideling Hill Creek Preserve (about 2.5 miles).  Let me know, because otherwise I'll go somewhere else.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AegisIII @ Sep. 24 2013, 10:00 pm)
I am also thinking of leading a hike up Sideling Hill this Sunday (9-29) if anyone wants to go.  Probably get up there about 10:00.  I'm thinking the basic road cut loop of just under four miles.  Then an optional hike at either Woodmont (about four miles) or the Sideling Hill Creek Preserve (about 2.5 miles).  Let me know, because otherwise I'll go somewhere else.

No replies, so I'll be going elsewhere.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yay!

"The other two proposals ─ Sideling Hill North and South trails, within the Woodmont Natural Resources Management Area near Hancock in Allegany County ─ have been withdrawn and removed from further consideration as ORV trails."

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes! Thank you backpackers and AegisIII.
The DNR posted the decision on their DNR website yesterday to not put ORV trails on Sideling Hill. We read it today.  We have had no formal notice from them.  We submitted nearly 1500 petition signatures and letters of opposition from Hancock Chamber of Commerce, Town Council, Washington County CVB, Sierra Club MD Chapter, Maryland Ornithological Society, MD Farm Bureau, Ridge, Stream & Valley Keepers, etc.

We will now pursue legislation to protect Sideling Hill forever, we hope.  If you wish to stay informed in how you can assist, please email savesidelinghill@aol.com

Thank you for caring to keep our woodlands and natural areas protected.
15 replies since Sep. 01 2013, 10:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sideling Hill MD
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions