2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Lebanon Reservoir Boxcar Rocks, Loop hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hoosier Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 10:10 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sunday September 22, 2013
Lebanon Reservoir, PA State Game Lands 211

After I posted a trip report of a hike I took in this area this past Saturday September 14th.  Another forum member (Ki0eh) had some questions as to whether and one could use the old woods road network around the reservoir area, and create a loop hike, hitting Boxcar Rocks while doing so.

So on a beautiful Sunday morning I set out for the SGL parking area at the end of Old Forge Road. As in my previous hike. I headed up the paved access which leads to the footpath which starts at the east end of the dam breast.

Lebanon Reservoir Dam Breast

Continued following the footpath in an easterly direction along the south side of the lake, and through some heavy Rhododendron thickets, before coming to, and crossing a small side stream. After this point the footpath widens in to a sometimes rocky old woods road.

Woods Road

Lined with pieces of coal underfoot. Approximately after one mile or so. The woods road crosses the Fishing Creek. Which can be either rock hopped of forded, depending on water levels.

I continued following the woods road till it’s junction with a second rocky woods road, which comes in from the southwest. This junction is just pass the walled spring in the gap between Sharp Mountain and Panther Head. And is approximately 2.1 miles from the dam breast.

Turned sharply left onto the second woods road. And began the moderate climb up the south flank of Sharp Mountain. Before too long the road switch backed 180 degrees. At this point the road lost is rocky character and became a nice wide grassy road.

Grassy Woods Road

Leading up and around the east end of the ridge. Just before reaching the top you will notice the first of many strip mine excavations that this woods road parallels along the north side of the ridge for quite a while.

Old Coal Strip Mines

The woods road continued in a westerly direction on the north side of Sharp Mountain. Typically 100 to 150 feet in elevation below the ridge top. As I continued west. I was more and more certain that this woods road was the same one used to access Boxcar Rocks from Gold Mine Road. After approximately 3.5 miles of following the dirt road, and passing by other woods road connecting to it. I arrived at the familiar path leading off to my left. And to Boxcar Rocks. Proving to myself that a loop hike to and from Boxcar Rocks was possible.

Boxcar Rocks

After a short visit to Boxcar Rocks. I followed the dirt SGL road out to the gate at Gold Mine Road. I then proceeded to head south on Gold Mine Run for a short bit. To a point where the guiderail starts. At this point there is a yellow metal pipe gate. And just beyond a very marshy and grassy pipeline clearing. I turned right on the pipeline clearing, heading downhill. And trying to keep my feet as dry as possible. While looking for and obscure opening on the left side. Which I spied after approximately .14 miles. This obscure opening leads to the north end of the sometimes red blazed Black Springs Trail. At a fire ring and some large boulders.

Once I found the Black Spring Trail. I followed it downhill along the narrow, and sometimes eroded very old woods road.

DSCN5944
Black Spring Tail

Dodging several blow downs. And taking out many spider webs. After walking through one particularly large web. I noticed I had acquired a new friend, walking up my shirt. I gently brushed my friend off to the ground and continued on.

My Spider Friend

Just before the end of the Black Spring Trail and its junction with the old S&S Rail bed trail. One must ford the Evening Branch of the Fishing Creek. Which is generally knee deep or so. From the ford it’s only 150 feet to the rail bed.

Headed east following the rail bed back towards the dam breast where I started. With a quick stop off to check out the views over the lake.

Lebanon Reservoir

The rail bed trail does not quite make it to the Dam Breast. As there is a metal gate blocking the way. But there is a rough footpath to the left around the gate, and then climbing up and over some loose talus. Before coming out to the west end of the dam breast, where the path ends. From this point the easiest and way to get back to the east side. Is to descend along the fencing which closes off the dam breast area.

My GPS data showed this loop hike being just under ten miles. This turned out to be a most pleasant loop hike. With views of the lake early on. Followed by Rhododendron thickets, Long stretches of Hemlock Forest. Old Strip Mines. Boxcar Rocks, and finally more lake side views from the west end of the lake.

National Geo Topo Map of hike
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most excellent! Works for me. Care to share the TOPO! file?

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Sep. 23 2013, 10:29 am)
Most excellent! Works for me. Care to share the TOPO! file?

Mike I tried to e mail you my National Geo Topo file from the hike. Using the contact on your web site. For some reason I get an error message telling me the default mail program is not installed

If you can shoot me a e mail through this site with your e mail address I will send you this info.

Bill
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is odd. I wonder if it has to do with the attachment. If you go to my hike schedule link you'll find my home E-mail info. Thanks in advance. Maybe I can talk you into co-leading it with me.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Sep. 23 2013, 10:42 am)
That is odd. I wonder if it has to do with the attachment. If you go to my hike schedule link you'll find my home E-mail info. Thanks in advance. Maybe I can talk you into co-leading it with me.

I sent you the topo file via e mail.

I would be honored to co lead the hike if you want. Just have to let me know when you would plan on doing it.

Bill
 Post Number: 6
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll take the GPX please, thanks!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosier @ Sep. 23 2013, 11:08 am)

(MRHyker @ Sep. 23 2013, 10:42 am)

I sent you the topo file via e mail.

I would be honored to co lead the hike if you want. Just have to let me know when you would plan on doing it.

Bill

Haven't received it yet. I'm sitting here drooling ... well, not that bad.

K is this still considered part of St. Anthony's Wilderness?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 8
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great find, looks like an awesome loop.  Your pic of the reservoir is very nice.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mike check your e mail and see if you have it now. I had cable spelled wrong in your e mail addy.

And I believe this still would be considered part of Saint Anthony's Wilderness, although the far eastern portion

Bill
 Post Number: 10
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like the talus slopes on the ridge to the north may offer some nice views of the reservoir.  Looks like one isn't far from where you hiked.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got it. Now we just need a date.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 7:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmitch @ Sep. 23 2013, 8:05 pm)
Looks like the talus slopes on the ridge to the north may offer some nice views of the reservoir.  Looks like one isn't far from where you hiked.

If you are referring to the talus slope that shows up on ACME mapper satellite view. Just to the southeast of the 1410 foot high point of the ridge. And southeast of the large opening visible with the SGL road running through it. Most probably would have a view from its top most portion.

Would be an easy whack from the SGL road. Also the ridge top is full of more outcroppings such as Boxcar Rocks. Several years back I bushwhacked the ridge looking for views from atop the outcroppings. But the going was very rugged and I bailed after a mile or so of following the ridge line.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Sep. 23 2013, 11:08 am)

If I send you the waypoints from my GPS. Will that suffice ?
 Post Number: 14
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosier @ Sep. 24 2013, 9:49 am)

If that's all that can be exported that's fine. Take what I can get.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Sep. 24 2013, 10:02 am)

Unfortunately I have deleted the file from my GPS after dumping the waypoint list to my National Geo Topo program. But I can copy my waypoint list from that program and e mail it to you tonight. or tomorrow am

Bill
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosier @ Sep. 24 2013, 11:18 am)

(ki0eh @ Sep. 24 2013, 10:02 am)

Unfortunately I have deleted the file from my GPS after dumping the waypoint list to my National Geo Topo program. But I can copy my waypoint list from that program and e mail it to you tonight. or tomorrow am

Bill

You can make a route in Nat Geo and export it to a GPX file. It won't show the entire trace unless you use a lot of points. I'd just mark the trail junctions and switchbacks and any place where a trail makes an obvious chance in directions.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm thinking of going up there 01/12 to catch it in color. Anybody want to join me?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Sep. 27 2013, 12:52 pm)
I'm thinking of going up there 01/12 to catch it in color. Anybody want to join me?

Should that be 10/12  ?
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exactly. I have a case of 24 hour dyslexia.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would be up for that even though I been there a few times in the last several weeks. Colors should be good in that area by then.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK. I'll set a time later. I'll be bringing a rowdy bunch.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How does 10:30 sound?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

10:30 am will work for me. There is parking for five to seven cars at the SGL lot at the end of Old Forge Road. Right at the yellow gate which blocks vehicle access to the dam
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One question, how do you get across the outflow at the end of the hike?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's the only drawback to this loop.

Best way is the follow the fence line down along the west end of the dam, to the spillway (steep and slippery). And cross the rock spillway. Works unless the water is high.

Plus you also have the ford of the Evening Branch of the Fishing Creek just before arriving at the S&S rail bed (Guaranteed to get wet feet)
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm aware of the streams. Just wanted to know about the spillway.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you look at the first photo which shows the dam breast. You can see the fence line running steeply downhill.

If water is running over the rip rap at he bottom of the spillway. You could most probably go downstream a bit and rock hop the creek.

Was looking for a way to avoid following the fence line, by heading through the woods and along the creek (massive washouts just before getting to a bridge you cross over the steam on the access road to the east side of the dam sort of prohibit this). But following the fence line just happens to be the easiest way to get back across.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No problem with the fence either.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to thank Hoosier for showing this route to my friends and I. Is there an official way to get SATC to consider taking these trails into their inventory. I've done three of the more well known hikes in Saint Anthony's Wilderness and I realize the amount of effort that goes into maintaining them but I found this one to be a step above the rest - with two caveats.

1) The Black Springs Trail really needs some TLC and perhaps an extension to Gold Mine Road to avoid the perpetually boggy pipeline right-of-way.

2) There obviously would need to be a better way to get down from the west side of the spillway.

I won't add to Bill's description. His is succinct enough. I'll just post some more photos.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
40 replies since Sep. 23 2013, 10:10 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Lebanon Reservoir Boxcar Rocks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions