2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: loyalsock link loop Oct 12&13, backpacking trip all are welcome< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
lost soul Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 9:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planning a trip to Worlds End state forest in PA on Oct 12 & 13. All are welcome to come along. This is a moderate 17 mile loop. I'm hoping that the fall colors will be in full display. I'm planning on starting at the ranger station and camping by Cold Run. I think it's around 12 miles for the first day. I'm not in the best hiking shape and am looking for an easy hike in the autumn  woods.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey buddy, how ya doing? I might be able to fit that one in. Never been up there before so at very least a new adventure. :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 3
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi there!

I need to do this but I'm currently scheduled to cover for a coworker that Saturday.  

If anything changes or I come down with a spontaneous case of the "flu" I'll show up.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool, It would be good to hike with both of you again.
 Post Number: 5
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 6:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm, maybe that might work.  I want to get an overnighter in this fall - it would be fun to hike with you guys again.
Lost Soul,
What time is departure?
Cheers!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Current plan is to meet at the Rt. 154 Ranger Station at about 8-30am Saturday morning. We both have a 3.5 hr drive to get there. The more the merrier!

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 7
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think I can make it.  Have fun, it is the perfect weekend loop.  Cold Run is an ok place to camp.  If you want to do more miles the first day and have a great place to camp, go CCW from WESP and camp below Alpine Falls (marked by tent symbol near Ken's Window on the map below).  Other nice sites are along Big Run, near Ken's Window.  The fall colors should be great.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs....612.pdf
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jeff,
   I've always done the hike in a clockwise direction. Are you thinking it would be better the other way?
            Ken
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you want to do 12 miles the first day, I think the camping options are better CCW.  Big Run, Alpine Falls, and Tamarack Run (Mary's Bridge) all have good camping.  If you camp at Alpine Falls, also check out the unnamed falls just downstream.  Cool spot.
 Post Number: 10
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds great, I wish I was packing my backpack right now, been forever since I went backpacking it feels.  But, a terrible word sometimes, this will continue to be a dream.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jeff,
 I know you showed me some really cool places up there, but I just don't remember how to get to them. I'd think I should stick to the trail I know. How far is it from the ranger station to Alpine falls going counter clockwise?
                                     Ken
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Come on out Glen it won't be a butt kicker. Steve one day you'll get out, maybe MLK weekend.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, the route is the same, follows the trail you want to do.  No bushwhacking or side trails.  As for the unnamed falls, they might be 100 feet downstream from the Alpine Falls campsite.

WESP to Alpine Falls is about 11 miles going counter clockwise, maybe a little more.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That sounds good to me. I'll run it past the group and see what everyone thinks.
Thanks again.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll yield to your knowledge of the trail Ken, just try not to kill me. :)

--------------
 Post Number: 16
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hiked the Loyalsock Trail and parts of the Link Trail yesterday (trip report link). The campsite below Alpine Falls is a lovely spot. Peaceful and intimate. It's located right beside the trail. Unfortunately, there was almost no water in Alpine Falls.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your pictures look awesome. I'm hoping for fall colors too. I just hope we're not a week late.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Smokinghead,
  You know I can't make a promise like that. You've seen the dumb stuff I do.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(lost soul @ Sep. 30 2013, 9:33 pm)
Smokinghead,
  You know I can't make a promise like that. You've seen the dumb stuff I do.

LOL...... yeah, unfortunately...... but not as bad as some of the MAYP gang.  Most of the real troublemakers moved west. :)

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

>> BUMP <<<  Weather looking good for the weekend....come on slugs  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 6:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still on the fence...:)  Will decide by Thursday!
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 7:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GlenG @ Oct. 08 2013, 6:55 am)
Still on the fence...:)  Will decide by Thursday!

Waiting on that weather report?   ???

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That, plus its been a busy week so far.  I know that they mentioned rain for Thursday, but I haven't even checked the weather in detail.  I do know too, that the warm weather we just had, doesn't even want to make me BP - too warm.  But day's like today make me want to go, its pretty nice out now!
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weather.com says Sat. 61 with a 20 percent chance of rain. Low of 45 then 60 on Sunday with a 20 percent chance of rain. Sounds like a perfect fall weekend for a hike. Hopefully the rain on Thursday will help Alpine falls.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check this report on NOAA:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic....2167969

Wish it was going to be a bit cooler but I'll take what we can get.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, did you guys see the notice about two 'bad guys' who broke out of prison and we're on the loose, possibly on the LT?

I"ll find the link for you and post it, just wanted to forward the info.  I know you're not scared.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 27
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Earth First! is out there too, though probably nearer the OLP (also Loyalsock State Forest) not the LT. Might be an interesting law enforcement situation should those two goons meet up with them too. (There's a PA hiking and backpacking group on Facebook now that attracts discussion of this stuff, I don't think there's yet much overlap with this board.)
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in!  Meet you guys at the ranger station at 8:30-9:00AM Sat.  I drive a white outback.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool, I drive a green Fusion with Jersey tags.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 8:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good deal guys. Grey Aston Martin DB5.

--------------
47 replies since Sep. 23 2013, 9:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply loyalsock link loop Oct 12&13
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions