2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: blockhouse pt-C&O Canal TR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 8:59 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aegis III described a loop in this venue about a year ago. Hardcore and I explored the area in March but we settled for a couple of out-and-backs instead of a loop. I wrote up the hike for the website but was unhappy with what I had. After further discussions with Aegis and others who had done the loop I returned to the scene with Cognac Jack and the Austrian Dancer. We took the quickest route to the western end of the Blockhouse Point Park trail system to find a rather obvious footpath. Initially the trail was blazed with blue paint and closely followed the southern boundary of a horse farm. The trail continues through NPS land but the blue blazes were replaced by brown swatches which really weren't necessary. The trail seems to be heavily traveled. The only real obstacle was a fallen tree at a stream crossing after the trail descended off of the ridge. Shortly after the crossing it joined a straight as an arrow grassy lane which lead out to a gravel road/driveway. In a few steps we turned left onto Violets Lock Road and followed it down to its namesake. We took a break here as we watched a heron fish, read the interpretive sign and enjoyed the view of the river. From here it was simply a matter of retracing our steps. (I will be leading an outing on October 4th to complete the loop.) In case there might be issues using the driveway on future excursions we successfully navigated an open woods bushwhack paralleling it. Once back in Blockhouse Point Park I treated my scouts to a side bar - a view from the Paw-paw overlook - before returning to our car.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool. I live near Blockhouse Trail and at times that is a place I go after work to unwind.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you live in one of those big mansions?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 4
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hah. No, not quite my style. Or paycheck. I'm a federal employee, so my means are modest at best.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's very interesting.  Last month I did a 20 mile trip on the canal tow path.  That was dull.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 6
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Along Violette's Lock Rd, between the driveway and the NPS parking area, there a gated grassy road noted as "Government Road."  It may reach the woods road slightly west of the stream crossing, but when I went I didn't notice it.  I'm also not sure what it would look like in the greener seasons.  It is, however, without question, fully on public lands.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We checked that out briefly. Ae least initially there were a lot of blowdowns across it.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Sep. 25 2013, 9:12 pm)
That's very interesting.  Last month I did a 20 mile trip on the canal tow path.  That was dull.

I like it ... in about 2.5 mile increments so this fits in nicely.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
7 replies since Sep. 25 2013, 8:59 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply blockhouse pt-C&O Canal TR
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions