2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Soldier's Delight TR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 10:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

09/28/13-Soldier’s Delight N.E.A, MD. I’ve hiked thousands of miles in the Mid-Atlantic region over the past couple of decades. The entire time I’ve had this one on my “to do list” but it always fell in priority when something more challenging and adventurous came along. Now, while rehabbing my surgically repaired hip and deciding to write a book on day hikes in central Maryland I suddenly ran out of excuses. Ken Clark, president and Outing Chair for the Howard County Sierra Club lead this one so all I had to do was just show up and I’m glad I did. The entire area is unique – a Serpentine barren where only a thin layer of soil covers the green-gray bedrock. It is capable of only supporting a variety of tall grasses, a large assortment of wildflowers (some typically not indigenous to the region) and dwarf oak trees like Black Jack and Post oak (Thanks Les for the Biology lesson!). In the few areas where there are mixed hardwood/pine woods all of the trees are stunted. A hundred year old specimen may look very much like a sick sapling.

We did a 5.3 mile dumbbell circuit, accomplishing the 2 mile, white blazed Serpentine Trail loop first. For most of the hike we were actually walking on bedrock. At the end of the loop sweet Melissa (5.5 years old) and her mom, Laura dropped out and returned to the visitor center. Dad, Mike, an ex-coworker of mine, and the rest of us continued on across Deer Park Road where in 0.1 miles we visited a chromite mine. We then proceeded to the second 2.0 mile loop composed of the Dolfield, Red Run and Choate Mine Trails. The Dolfield and Choate Mine Trails were more of the same while the Red Run Trail followed a tributary and then the main stream through a large stand of more typical Mid-Atlantic timber – towering oak, maple and poplar. We crossed Deer Park Road again and in a few minutes found ourselves back at the visitor center. All in all I was pretty satisfied with little gem of a hike. It’s a great place to rehab a bad hip or take the family out to enjoy the outdoors.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Might be a fun walk to take my 7-year old daughter

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Definitely. You can check her ability/desire after the first loop. If you think she's done just head back to the car.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Map, trail notes, etc are now posted on my site.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you very much, I'll let you know when we get out there.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 6
spac3man Search for posts by this member.
Appalachian

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It has been a very long while, but there is some kind of endangered species that grows in the Slodier's Delight area... It is apparently one of the only places left where it grows.

--------------
Sláinte
5 replies since Sep. 29 2013, 10:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Soldier's Delight TR
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions