2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: World's End State Park - Sones Pond, PA, Trip report (9/29/13)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 10:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sep 29, 2013: World's End State Park to Sones Pond

I got up at 1:30am, rolled out of bed immediately, before I could even begin to convince myself otherwise, and got dressed. Sometime during step-III, I woke up...just another start to my typical hiking day.

World's End State Park is 4.5hrs away from Pittsburgh, located in north-central Pennsylvania's Sullivan County. The cool name was the magnet that attracted my attention. I was also hoping to get a head start on viewing fall colors, since these usually hit their peak earlier there.

It was still dull, when I parked my car in the World's End State Park visitor center and began my hike. I crossed beautiful Loyalsock Creek and took the joint Loyalsock and High Rock trails to steeply ascend High Rock. Some nice views across Loyalsock Canyon were on offer: in the early morning light the hillsides were ablaze with fall's lurid colors.

Loyalsock Creek: The blue hour
Loyalsock Creek

World's End State Park: Morning light
Lurid colors from High Rock

For some reason, I was initially unable to pick up the yellow blazed Loyalsock Trail from the viewpoint and spent a valuable half hour aimlessly exploring other options. After this set back, I motored along the more moderate grade, enjoying some lovely ferns, cloaked in autumnal yellows.

Eventually, I reached the less than impressive Ken's Window, with its almost non-existent view. Soon after, following a steep descent, I crossed Tom's Run. I had been looking forward to this part of the hike since Alpine Falls is located just downstream of this point. Unfortunately, while the glen was quite pretty, the falls were dry.

Trying to get over my disappointment I switched off for a while, hiking mainly through forest with the occasional rock garden thrown in. Around 8mi later I reached lovely Sones Pond, surrounded by colorful trees.

Sones Pond: Grasses
Grasses

Sones Pond: Fall finery
Fall finery

From Sones Pond, I dropped down into Loyalsock Canyon, through some pretty rock gardens and glens. The last bit, just before crossing Loyalsock Creek, was on a couple of gravel roads. By now, I was running really late, and knew that I'd have to rethink my planned 17.5mi hike. I decided to cut off most of the journey along the Link Trail, which was my planned return option, only hiking those portions that lay alongside Loyalsock Creek. This meant that I had to hike 4.7mi along PA 154. Not ideal, but I was able to shave off about 2hrs from my hike, which allowed me enough time to check out nearby Dry Run Falls.

Loyalsock Creek: Stones
Stones

Loyalsock Creek: Reflections
Loyalsock Creek reflections

Loyalsock Creek: Cobbles
Bank

Dry Run Falls: Leaves and forest
Dry Run Falls

Dry Run Falls: Decorative leaves
Leaf litter

I was finally able to wrap up my day by 5:30pm, and reached Pittsburgh by 10:00pm. Another action packed day of fun and frolic in the mid-Atlantic.

Stats:
- Distance: 15.75mi
- Elevation gain: 2,750ft
- Total trip time: 20hrs

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Amazing photos as always.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, MR.

Honestly, I felt a bit disappointed with my effort, in not being able to complete the full loop. Time just seemed to dribble away... The lack of water in Alpine Falls was also a bummer, otherwise I might still have gone for the water works of Double Run, turn-around times be damned. Anyway, now I have those, as well as the waterfall downstream of Sones Pond, to look forward to on a return trip.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You didn't visit the Haystacks?

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope, no time for those either; and they look really cool too! Don't tell me...I missed all the good stuff... :D

--------------
 Post Number: 6
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics, sorry the falls weren't flowing more.  It has been dry up here.  The Haystacks are awesome, you will like it there.  For other waterfalls, check out Ketchum Run, very beautiful, and Angel Falls are great (70-80 feet tall), but wait until we get more rain.  Angel Falls were probably a trickle.  There are a couple more falls below Angel Falls.  Both branches of Double Run in WESP are beautiful.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kind of what I figured, after I saw the sad state of Alpine Falls: I didn't want to mess up my impressions of the Double Run waterfalls by catching them at low flow. On the plus side, there's enough left in the area for me to do, that I can justify the long drive.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few more photos from the day:

Loyalsock Creek: Dawn

Loyalsock Creek: Rock and reflections

Big Run: Leaves on gravel

Loyalsock Creek: Slab

Loyalsock Creek: Fall reflections

--------------
 Post Number: 9
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome as usual.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 10
digdug18 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 2:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

What camera and lens are you using for the pictures?
9 replies since Sep. 30 2013, 10:51 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply World's End State Park - Sones Pond, PA
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions