2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Govt shutdown and National Forests< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 4:31 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone know if the gates on Forest Service roads will be closed due to the shutdown? Planning on heading to Dolly Sods this Friday and would like to be prepared.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I very seriously doubt that they are going to drive out and shut all the gates, before they shut down.  Not even positive if the USFS is shut down actually.  Just checked the website, USFS ic shut down too.

Remember the USPS (dept of interior) and USFS (dept. of Agriculture) are two separate gov. divisions.  

If your really concerned, call the ranger station, see if you get a answer, if not I'd drive over anyways, like i said i doubt they shut the gates.
 Post Number: 3
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 6:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IDK, here in Ohio the NPS is closing the gates to the parking lots, but all roads are to remain open.  

At worst, you might have to park on the side of the road somewhere.

That's my best guess since I don't really know for sure. :p
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 8:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My inclination is that the seasonally open roads that are already open will remain open. The USDA (Forest Service) is shut down and I doubt that a call to the ranger office would be answered. I'm heading to Bear Rocks and was hoping someone had been there since the shutdown to confirm the gates are open. We will come in from the Canaan side and a closed gate means a decent drive around to Jordan Run and another closed gate and a 1/2 mile road walk. Not bad but knowing ahead of time would make planning easier. If I hear nothing I'll go on the assumption that the roads are open.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Oct. 02 2013, 8:06 am)
My inclination is that the seasonally open roads that are already open will remain open. The USDA (Forest Service) is shut down and I doubt that a call to the ranger office would be answered. I'm heading to Bear Rocks and was hoping someone had been there since the shutdown to confirm the gates are open. We will come in from the Canaan side and a closed gate means a decent drive around to Jordan Run and another closed gate and a 1/2 mile road walk. Not bad but knowing ahead of time would make planning easier. If I hear nothing I'll go on the assumption that the roads are open.

My guess is the road up there should probably be open, but maybe the campground up top might be closed?  Who the hell knows.  It's too far for me to drive, and i have to work 60 hrs this week, or I'd go see
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

National Forests are open lands. Dunno about road closures but the woods won't be closed.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 02 2013, 7:10 pm)
National Forests are open lands. Dunno about road closures but the woods won't be closed.

Yep, not like they can gate the trees off :laugh:

I look at Nat Forest as a place I can go no matter how bad things get.  It's like a home away from home for me.  Of course it's pretty much my backyard being i live about 2-3mi as the crow flies from the boundaries of the mon.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well of course I know the forest won't be closed, just trying to see if the road will be. I'll try to call the Forest HQ in Elkins tomorrow and see if I get a live person.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tried the Elkins HQ this morning and got a recording saying they were off due to lack of Federal funding - strangely the recording sound like some Indian dude. Anywho, we're still heading up there tomorrow and I expect the gates to be open - I'll report back.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was up to Dolly Sods North yesterday and all of the gates are open including the gate to the Red Creek campground. Also of note, falls colors are at peak up there. If you want to see them, this weekend is the weekend. By next weekend you'll be too late at high elevations. Oh, for those who won't go to the Sods because of the supposed crowds let me tell you our experience. We were in for 7 hours and covered 13 miles. We saw a total of 20 people but they were all concentrated in two spots, the Right Fork of Red Creek and at the intersection of Dobbin Grade and Beaver View trails. For 95% of the time we saw no one. It was a spectacular day, albeit one that took a toll on our feet.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good to know.  I'm kind of surprised they left the campgrounds open though. Once the trash builds up the bears are going to be a bigger problem than normal.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On my post above I meant that the people were congregated around the Left Fork of Red Creek and the intersection of Dobbin Grade and Beaver Dam trails.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out this E-mail from a friend:

"I just biked the C&O Canal starting this past Sun 9/29 thru yesterday (Sat)thru to Great Allegheny Passage ending in Pittsburgh!  We were on it after shut-down, so spot o pots banded shut and water handles off pumps.  Luckily, we camped off trail, but it was something to see."

Now how much effort did this intentional creation of pain cost? It is stupid beyond description.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
RyanJL Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was hoping to do some backpacking in the Cranberry Wilderness in the Monongahela National Forest.  Anyone know if I'll have any trouble getting in there?
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If Dolly Sods is any example you should be fine.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 6:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RyanJL @ Oct. 11 2013, 1:31 pm)
I was hoping to do some backpacking in the Cranberry Wilderness in the Monongahela National Forest.  Anyone know if I'll have any trouble getting in there?

I don't recall any lockable gates on either end of 150.  Pretty sure it's a state route even though it's not plowed in the winter.
15 replies since Oct. 01 2013, 4:31 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Govt shutdown and National Forests
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions