2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: mount porte crayon< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 1:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Going to head up there this weekend.  What is the best way to the summit?  I hear the last half-mile or so is pretty much a bushwack, but previous hikers may have built cairns or left ribbons...any truth to that?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope you realize that there is no view?

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yes...in it for the thrill of the chase, so to speak
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You would be better off, in my opinion, climbing the Haystack. You can camp close to the summit and get a view. I've never been. I'm sure Vdeal has.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 5
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Flatrock run trail will be the most direct route, but the trail head is right on the county road there, not really anywhere to park, and you have to walk up through private land, but they have a right of way for the trail.  

I've not hiked any of that before, so I have no first hand knowledge, just reading, and looking at maps.

All that's at the summit is a USGS marker named "thunder" which was the name of the mountain before it was renamed Porte Crayon. BTW
 Post Number: 6
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MR is right. I have been to Haystack Knob and the view is fantastic - maybe the best in WV with 360° views. While jnk's assertion that Flatrock Run trail is the most direct route might appear correct I would argue against that. FS70 is open now and you can drive back to the pipeline and follow the Roaring Plains trail to the top of Flatrock Run Tr. Distance might be a bit longer but Flatrock Run Tr. has the greatest elevation change of any official trail in WV - something around 2200'. I would take Roaring Plains even though I don't like the rocky nature of it. I've not been to the summit of Mt. Porte Crayon but have bushwhacked around a bit up there and it's not for the faint of heart. Personally, I would go for Haystack but if you want MPC then I would come in from the Haystack side from the unnamed knob over there. Search the web and you'll find a few different strategies but none are easy. If you want directions to Haystack give a shout.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like i said, i haven't done the area, just a observation.  I did look into Flatrock run, at one time, and figured it to be too darn steep for my liking.

As far as FR70, I didn't know they opened it to the public, must be one of the seasonal roads they open for hunting.  That would be the way to go then, Roaring Plains is a great trail, should be nice this time of year.

I have heard of haystack knob, but never looked into it before, but as vdeal mentioned, bushwacking up in there could get pretty difficult, if the brush is anything like the teepee trail is :(
 Post Number: 8
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 6:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can confirm that FR 70 was open as of Saturday the 5th. I was surprised when I saw it. I know last fall in September it was open for a special 3 county early bear season as I drove it out to the pipeline. But I saw no bear hunters last weekend. Perhaps a Federal employee "forgot" to lock it up before furlough? Although I had been on the Sods on weekends before, I generally am there thru the week. I was shocked to see the crowds. A combination of the weather and the leaves, I suppose. FR 19 was practically over run with vehicles.
 Post Number: 9
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Out of curiosity where exactly is this Haystack Knob in roaring plains?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haystack is southeast of Mt Porte Crayon and a little northeast of Green Knob. The radio tower on Green Knob can be seen from Rt 33 just before it plunges off of the Allegheny Front and down towards Onego. If you find Haystack on Google Earth there is a photo taken by my hiking buddy when we were up there.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As far as knowing when roads are open the way that the USFS now informs people is through Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MUVM). Those for the Mon can currently be found here. Check the links on the right hand side.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is Haystack Knob looking at it across from the canyon rim. It's pretty distinctive.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Larger file.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks for all the info.  Vdeal, might as well send over directions to haystack just to keep my options open.

thanks to all!
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So how in the world do you get to haystack??  Seems to me that is even more bushwacking than Porte Crayon, unless there is a back way in??  I see now there is a road up to that tower back there.  IS that road gated??  Seems like that would be a fun hike, if I could actually find the road from the main road, looks to cut off near some houses...

I know bushwacking up in that area sucks pretty bad, on the canyon rim side at least.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

found a pic from my collection:
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

jnk,

Almost no bushwhacking involved but if coming from the pipeline you're looking at around 13 miles round trip. Access involves an old railroad grade and a short, but steep bushwhack if one is to stay on FS property. There is another route using an ATV route and the road you noted. About the same distance but faster. The road, however is on private property. Access to the road from Rt. 33 is also gated.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a interesting route.  Didn't know there was a way over to haystack, from Roaring plains trail, figured the Porte Crayon bushwack was about as far that way you could go.  Then again, I've not been past teepee trail, so there is a lot up there I don't know.

I'd be interested to see this route on a map.
 Post Number: 20
dunkard Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 5:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry I guess this might be a lil late.  I've been thru the above mentioned areas multiple times  I have google earth files which should help you out some. However I can't attach them here posted them at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/monforest
if you have any questions let me know
 Post Number: 21
Hollowdweller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The time I went to Haystack we took the railroad grade that comes off of Flatrock. Then there was an ATV path that went over the hill and hooked onto a gravel road that skirted the edge of the forest boundry that went to haystack.

I always thought that the gravelled road nearly running up to it and the pond sort of detracted from the isolation of the place but never saw anybody there but 1 bear hunter.

I've never tried to go to the top of Porte Crayon but always wanted to.
20 replies since Oct. 08 2013, 1:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply mount porte crayon
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions