2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: SST Route 522 to Cove Mtn, Standing Stone Trail TR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hoosier Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 7:02 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saturday November 9, 2013
Standing Stone Trail (Pa Route 522 to Cove Mountain)

On Saturday I had plans for early afternoon in Dry Run Pennsylvania. Seeing that is was so close to the nearby Standing Stone Trail. I figured I would get a very early start and knock out another small portion of the trail. After looking at the Maps on line. I decided to do a short out and back hike from Pennsylvania Route 522 to the top of Cove Mountain.

Parked at the small parking area along Sheepskin Hollow Road that is mentioned in the revised trail description available on the SST website.

Walked along the short portion of road before the trail turned left into the woods. Nice trail routing through some meadows, and then a short switchback up a low ridge.

Grassy Switchback and NO ATV Sign

Took a picture of a no ATV sign along this section of trail. Looks like this section of trail may get brushy, with signs of high meadow type grasses.

Soon I encountered the traces of Vanderbilt’s Folly

Vanderbilt's Folly

as mentioned in the online trail guide. Before dropping down into a scenic drainage which lead up into state forest land.

Dropped down into the nine mile run drainage. Where, after crossing Nine Mile Run the trail gained some elevation on a rocky footpath around the west end of a spur ridge. Continued up the east side of Nine Mile Runs upper drainage. Before the final switch back climb up the rocky hillside of Cove Mountain.

There is a very nice natural stone bench to take a deserved rest just before the last bit of climb to the summit. Once atop the ridge I followed the short yellow blazed path to the Sideling Hill Vista.

Sideling Hill Vista View

After a short break atop Cove Mountain.  I headed back down the trail. Once I was at the point where the SST intersected the remnants of the old and non-blazed Loop trail. I veered onto the Loop Trail heading north. Up and over a spur ridge. On the north side of the ridge there is a fantastic 180 degree view from atop a large talus slope.

Westerly view from talus slope

Took some pictures from the talus slope viewpoint. And then carefully crossed the rocky feature. And bushwhacked westerly back to the SST just south of the Nine Mile Run crossing point.

SST runs to atop ridge in background

I have to give Kudos to whoever was responsible for the relocation of the trail. As the routing could have not been more perfect. Great little hike. Before I had to be off to Dry Run
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The SST club is fortunate to have the services of trail volunteer and landscape architect Tom Scully working on recent relocations. DCNR is generally more willing to allow his talents to be expressed than the PGC on their respective lands, the "master plan for continuous improvement" would involve significant changes on the SGL's as well if only it could be approved.

The Darlington Trail relocation and some A.T. relocations in the SATC area are other examples of his work. But possibly the nicest bit that can now be seen is the SST on Rocky Ridge south of the Rocky Ridge Natural Area, where trail was relocated to and through some very interesting rocks in conjunction with the Climbing Conservancy of Central PA.
 Post Number: 3
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your "Westerly view from talus slope" photo is really cool! I've only done a couple of hikes along the SST; I think I should schedule another foray for next year (or maybe even next month).

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GaliWalker @ Nov. 12 2013, 11:35 am)
Your "Westerly view from talus slope" photo is really cool! I've only done a couple of hikes along the SST; I think I should schedule another foray for next year (or maybe even next month).

I have attached two other pictures of the Talus Slope view.

The first is looking northeasterly from near the center of the rather large talus slope.

The second is after I mostly crossed the Talus and was on it's western fringe looking in a more easterly direction back across the slope.

Took my time to safely cross the slope. As some of the smaller boulder tended to move when stepped upon. Plus higher up all the rocks were covered with rock tripe lichen

The talus slope is easy to access. As the easterly edge of the field is right along the Loop trail on the north face of a spur ridge leading into the Narrows.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Question for Ki0eh

If heading north form the parking area on Sheepskin Hollow Road. Does any type of blazed trail still head over to the view previously shown on the older trail maps (Priceless Point)

Was thinking about possibly heading back out that way this weekend. And heading north from the same starting point as this hike.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since "Priceless Point" area is SGL and side trails are not desired, the blazes from the old junction at the ridgetop on Ramsey Path were blacked out. Most of the old Link Trail from that ridgetop junction over down the east side was a doubletrack woods road/ATV trail. If you were to go along the woods road SE-erly on SGL (note that the woods road strays briefly onto private property and then back, the old Link Trail followed the property line on the public/NE side of the boundary blazes for a bit), you follow that road as it curves around NE-erly until a local summit along the woods road, then turn right and bushwhack SE less than 50 yards to the point. It's definitely worth the short trek over, and even if you can't follow the obscured blazes is not a difficult bushwhack.
 Post Number: 7
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics, I missed the Loop Trail when I thru-hiked the SST last year.  

Not hard to reach Priceless Point, and it is worth it.  It has been a while, but if hiking north on SST towards Monument Rock, turn right onto an old ATV trail (branches block the trail where it meets the SST), hike to the top of the ridge, turn left and make your way to the point.  Impressive spot.

The SST along Rocky Ridge is one of the finest trails in PA, it was an awesome section to hike.  Very well done.  The SST from Greenwood Furnace to 1000 Steps is an excellent weekend backpacking trip.  Nice to see more hikers are discovering this trail.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 7:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmitch @ Nov. 12 2013, 6:56 pm)
Great pics, I missed the Loop Trail when I thru-hiked the SST last year.  

Missing the Loop trail would be a very easy thing to do. As it is not signed or blazed. But is visible as sort of a old woods trace at the two points where the SST intersects it briefly while heading up Cove Mountain in the area known as the narrows.
 Post Number: 9
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're braver than I am in crawling along that talus slope.  But you got a wider range of views by doing so than just continuing down the crushed rock of the Loop Trail.  There's a second twin talus slope on the south side of the narrows.  AFAIK there's no trail up to it but it's on my list of bushwhacking ideas in that area.

BTW, if you were in Dry Run, why not the Tuscarora Trail north from Fannettsburg-Burnt Cabins Road?  Possibly my favorite section of the TT.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 6:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AegisIII @ Nov. 13 2013, 10:20 pm)
You're braver than I am in crawling along that talus slope.  But you got a wider range of views by doing so than just continuing down the crushed rock of the Loop Trail.  There's a second twin talus slope on the south side of the narrows.  AFAIK there's no trail up to it but it's on my list of bushwhacking ideas in that area.

BTW, if you were in Dry Run, why not the Tuscarora Trail north from Fannettsburg-Burnt Cabins Road?  Possibly my favorite section of the TT.

I'm not familiar with the routing of the Tuscarora Trail through that area. As I've never gotten the trail guide and maps for the trail. And  there is very little on line concerning the trail location.

Now that you peaked my interest. I will need to look into it a bit further. But will probably day hike the full Standing Stone Trail in an out and back segment fashion first.

Was not all that bad crossing the talus slope. Would have been much different if the rock tripe and boulders were wet. Still was very careful with foot placement, and took my good old time during the crossing.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The TT north of Fannettsburg-Burnt Cabins Road is pretty simple, it runs on top of the Tuscarora Mountain ridge until north of the PA Turnpike tunnels. Park as best you can on the road and walk north, when you get to a woods road where TT turns right off the ridge, you're past the scenic area, turn back to the car.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Nov. 14 2013, 9:45 am)
The TT north of Fannettsburg-Burnt Cabins Road is pretty simple, it runs on top of the Tuscarora Mountain ridge until north of the PA Turnpike tunnels. Park as best you can on the road and walk north, when you get to a woods road where TT turns right off the ridge, you're past the scenic area, turn back to the car.

Took a quick peak at the State Forest maps on line. And I had previously hiked that section of the TT from the road crossing to atop the Pennsylvania Turnpike Tunnel about 10 years ago.

But I will have to go back and visit in once again.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosier @ Nov. 14 2013, 6:39 am)
Now that you peaked my interest. I will need to look into it a bit further. But will probably day hike the full Standing Stone Trail in an out and back segment fashion first.

BTW, if you want to do some shuttle hikes along the SST, I may be willing to go on some in the northern half of areas I've not been where I've not been able to plan out a good loop.  I suspect others may as well.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 7:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AegisIII @ Nov. 20 2013, 10:30 pm)

(hoosier @ Nov. 14 2013, 6:39 am)

BTW, if you want to do some shuttle hikes along the SST, I may be willing to go on some in the northern half of areas I've not been where I've not been able to plan out a good loop.  I suspect others may as well.

Sounds good to me. See if we can figure out some time in the future and get a few folks together to doo a car shuttle hike or two.

Bill
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd be game for a shuttle hike from Allensville Rd to Greenwood Furnace. I have previously led a hike from 655 to 655 (Mapleton to Fousetown) which I might be persuadable to do again.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those are two that I have been thinking of.  The third would be from 655/Fousetown/Mill Gap north to wherever, either the big SGL lot or the end of Free Rd.  Granted, the first option is kind of short and the second has a rather circuitous shuttle route.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My #1 hike priority though would be Blue Triangle to New Frontier on MST Section 3 as soon as I can schedule it after the Yellow Creek bridge is finally in.
16 replies since Nov. 12 2013, 7:02 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply SST Route 522 to Cove Mtn
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions