2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: North Fork Mountain is burning< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 6:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Arfcomhkr and I hiked the area about 3 weeks ago, and I heard on the news this morning that there has been a wildfire burning since Sunday over there.

So far it's burned 1700 acres, and so far it has been contained to FS lands. Only 20% under control.  Looks like it's going to be a long term event, as fighting a fire on that kinda terrain is going to be tough.

Sad to hear, as it's such a nice area, but I guess it's part of nature, although pretty rare here in WV.

http://wvmetronews.com/2013....m-event
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, quite impressive.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That would be terrible Terrain for fire fighting.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From what i can understand of the press release on the FS website the fire is located somewhere between the Redman run trail, and Rt.33, which is about 15-20mi of trail, give or take.  That is the section of trail closed, along with FR 79 which is the road that takes you to the top of the mountain where the gas line crosses.

So, going from that assumption, my guess is the fire is located approximately behind Seneca Rocks or there abouts, so the area around Chimney Rocks, and the most hiked part of the mountain is still safe, and open.

I guess this will warrant a trip come spring for me to survey they damage.
 Post Number: 5
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 6:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doesn't surprise me with the winds on top of that ridge.
 Post Number: 6
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WV Public Radio reported this morning that Smoke Hole area is closed.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- U.S. Forest Service officials issued an emergency closure late Wednesday for the area around Smoke Hole in Pendleton County, where a wildfire that broke out Sunday continues to blaze.

The fire has already charred nearly 1,400 acres and spread into Monongahela National Forest land on North Fork Mountain.
http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201311130031
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Panhandler @ Nov. 14 2013, 1:45 pm)
WV Public Radio reported this morning that Smoke Hole area is closed.

That's about the most non descript closure order ever.

The Smoke hole area could be considered a lot of places, that is the whole area, but the only area closed that I'm aware of is FR79 that goes to the top of the mountain to the gas line, and of course the north fork Mountain trail, which is now closed from the Landis trail south to Rt.33, which is about 20 some odd miles of mountain ridge.  Smoke hole road, which runs on the eastern side of North fork mountain is open as far as I know, a lot of folks live back in there.  Also, Smoke Hole caverns there on the main road is open as well, doesn't affect that area either.

Here is a map of the closed area.  Basically it's between Seneca Rocks, and the Redman Run Trail.  There is also a 36" gas line that runs over the mounatin where this is burning as well ???

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Firefighters from 18 states. Now 30% contained.
 Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That place was burning when I was last there in the mid-80s.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 15 2013, 4:23 pm)
That place was burning when I was last there in the mid-80s.

Not this bad.  Biggest fire in the Mon since the 1940's

Honestly this may not be a really bad turn out.  a lot of the forest up in there is pretty mature, and has little undergrowth, which pretty much means the fire is burning the leaves, and small under growth, which will open up the forest floor more, and it's not really burning the mature trees too much.  I'd say in 5 years time, the area will be healthier than it ever has been.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fire now 50% contained. Reports echo jnk's assertion that it is fast burning and mainly burning leaves.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now 60% contained

Newspaper link

Humm, and this article says 70%

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Nov. 19 2013, 1:37 pm)
Now 60% contained

Newspaper link

Humm, and this article says 70%

It's about out now :;):

Honestly i think this fire inn the long run will be helpful for the area.  That mountain is kinda strange, as there is very little underbrush, except for certain areas.  It's a different type of forest than what I'm used to on this side of the Allegheny.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, it is in the rain shadow of the Allegheny Front and much drier than much of the Mon.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Update from 18 hours ago:

WV Wildfire U/D: SMOKE HOLE - The Smoke Hole fire is in the Smoke Hole area of the Cheat-Potomac Ranger District, Monongahela National Forest. The Fire is at 1,620 acres and is 70% Contained. Approximately 170 firefighters and support staff, including four crews, one modules, two dozer, five engines, and a helicopter are assisting with the Fire.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The fire is now contained and the area has been reopened - link

--------------
16 replies since Nov. 13 2013, 6:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply North Fork Mountain is burning
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions