2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Henry Lott and Somer Brooks- SGL 57, The wonders never cease< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013, 10:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://endlessmountains.wordpress.com/2013....-sgl-57

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49239558@N04/sets/72157637822506504/

This past weekend I was finally able to explore Henry Lott Brook and part of Somer Brook.  Incredibly beautiful with countless cascades, huge boulders, and deep pools in rugged gorges and glens.  There were some landslides from the epic 2011 floods; in other places the ground subsided.  We found the 75-100 foot falls near Somer Brook and it was an incredible sight.  These streams are so beautiful, they were a sight even on an overcast day with all the leaves off the trees.  Above the big falls was an incredible spruce forest that looked like more of a rainforest.  This was very rugged terrain and we hiked out in the dark after 14 or 15 miles.   SGL 57 is one of the most scenic places in the state, hopefully it will stay that way.  Enjoy.

Cascades on Henry Lott Brook
Cascades on Henry Lott Brook

Henry Lott Brook
Henry Lott Brook

Massive landslide
Landslide along Henry Lott

Cascade at a cliff
More cascades and pools

Henry Lott Brook
Henry Lott Brook

Somer Brook
Somer Brook

75-100 foot falls
The gorgeous 75-100 foot falls (can't see top of it) on one branch of Somer Brook.  Awesome spruce forest at the top.  This spot was amazing.

There were beautiful spruce forests
Spruce everywhere at the top

The stone cabin- a landmark
The Stone Cabin, a well-known landmark in SGL 57
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hoosier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 6:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for posting this Jeff. I never did make it up there this summer or fall (Henry Loot and Somer Brooks) but I feel like I have after reading your TR.

I want to get back up there. May have to explore South Brook and Opossum Brook drainages and see what I find. Have to figure out the best point to park and start from for those two, as it seems a bit further from any nearby road just to get to the drainages. Could make for a long day if trying to do both.

Bill
 Post Number: 3
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks beautiful! You really pick nice locations for hikes.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really like that Spruce pic and would love to have that cabin for a weekend...

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 5
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bill,

If you do South and Opossum Brooks, be sure to check out Sprankles Pond, beautiful spot.  That would be a long dayhike, very thick across the plateau, but you can use the game commission road.  Best way up is from Noxen, the game commission road is open now for hunting.  The big falls on Somers is a reasonable hike from where you would park.

My next goal is the creek to the south of Somer Brook, should have waterfalls and big rocks.  Two other creeks across from South Brook have potential, may also be cliffs with views.
 Post Number: 6
hoosier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmitch @ Nov. 20 2013, 4:54 pm)
Bill,

If you do South and Opossum Brooks, be sure to check out Sprankles Pond, beautiful spot.  That would be a long dayhike, very thick across the plateau, but you can use the game commission road.  Best way up is from Noxen, the game commission road is open now for hunting.  The big falls on Somers is a reasonable hike from where you would park.

My next goal is the creek to the south of Somer Brook, should have waterfalls and big rocks.  Two other creeks across from South Brook have potential, may also be cliffs with views.

Thanks for the info. I know from experience it's very thick across the top of the plateau. Found that out when I did the Windfall Run Bush Whack.

So I will use game commission roads or other woods roads visible on the State Game Land Maps satellite view if and when I try this.
5 replies since Nov. 18 2013, 10:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Henry Lott and Somer Brooks- SGL 57
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions