2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: SNOW!, I'm super excited< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
superhiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 10:52 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I plan on going where the snow is after it hits today and tomorrow.  Local PA folks, please post your snowfall totals!    
Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You do realize you're probably gonna get that -30F front that rolled through here last week....?  :laugh:

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
superhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're actually not getting that, but thanks for the helpful input!

We need a good winter.  The last couple have been duds.  I haven't had my snowshoes out in two years and the skis have barely made appearances.
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There could be enough snow for XC skiing.  I'm not looking forward to it, though.
 Post Number: 5
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

4-5" in central NJ    Was hoping for more so I could get in some snowshoe time. Doing an overnighter this week but looks like there will be more slush than anything else.  :(

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 6
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was up in the St Anthony's wilderness on the AT north of Harrisburg this weekend. There as probably 4 t o 6 inches of accumulation.
 Post Number: 7
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just got back from Portland, ME. Flew out yesterday with 9" on the ground and another 5" in the forecast.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokingHead @ Dec. 15 2013, 12:36 pm)
4-5" in central NJ    Was hoping for more so I could get in some snowshoe time. Doing an overnighter this week but looks like there will be more slush than anything else.  :(

We accumulated about a foot last week, with enough crust in the top inch to impair skiing (unless I use goopy wax).  The forecast looks mushy to me, too.

This is the frustrating thing about snow in NJ.  Most storms finish up with higher temps and some rain or freezing rain, then colder temps move in with the clearing.  Even when there's a lot of snow on the ground, it's not the good stuff.
 Post Number: 9
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 16 2013, 11:41 am)
This is the frustrating thing about snow in NJ.  Most storms finish up with higher temps and some rain or freezing rain, then colder temps move in with the clearing.  Even when there's a lot of snow on the ground, it's not the good stuff.

Same here in SE PA. Also you can't get to the trail since no one bothers to plow out the parking area - roadside parking not usually a good idea in PA since the shoulder isn't usually wide enough even before narrowed by the snow pile.

I had been using this NOAA site to resolve the "where's the snow?" queries for myself. However the data seem coarser this year in NY and PA compared to past years. Still a better indication than most as I travel around.
 Post Number: 10
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 16 2013, 11:41 am)

(SmokingHead @ Dec. 15 2013, 12:36 pm)

We accumulated about a foot last week, with enough crust in the top inch to impair skiing (unless I use goopy wax).  The forecast looks mushy to me, too.

Got out on the AT Thurs-Fri and did a loop around Catfish Fire Tower. Had a friend from Florida with me..... his first hike in snow. There was about 8-10" of heavy, but not wet snow. Unfortunately didn't have a pair of snowshoes for him so I didn't use mine either. Found a great ledge to camp on with night views of Portland up to Andover airport. Good times. :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 11
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

55 and pouring rain here in western Pa. Snow is all melted.
 Post Number: 12
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has anyone invented cross-country water skis?

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 13
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2013, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes.  They're called pontoons.
12 replies since Dec. 13 2013, 10:52 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply SNOW!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions