2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TR: Loyalsock SF:Frozen Falls on Ketchum Run< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
PhillyMike Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 12:30 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This will probably always be the hike that I remember more for the car breaking down on the turnpike on the way home. But a few hour detour in Lehighton did nothing to diminish the experience of our trek through the Loyalsock.

We started our hike from the parking lot along High Knob Rd where it meets World’s End Road. (High Knob Rd is closed to traffic in the winter, but the parking lot is accessible.) About 2 inches of soft, crunchy snow covered the ground. The weather was pretty mild for January in Pennsylvania, almost 30 degrees. It was the Monday of MLK Day and there were no other cars in the lot and we saw no one all day.

We set out on the Fern Rock Nature Trail and soon crossed over the east branch of Ketchum Run. The creek gurgled under the bridge and snow and ice covered the banks. It was quite serene.

After about a mile of hiking, we reached beautiful Ketchum Run.  Thick ice covered the banks but the stream flowed quietly through the forest. We turned right and followed the stream north, still along the FRNT.

Ketchum Run

We met up with a cross cross country ski trail for a few minutes before reaching a red blazed bridle trail. This trail crosses Ketchum Run and eventually meets up with the Loyalsock Trail. The trail crossing was impossible, with a layer of ice covering the entire stream. In some places, the stream tunneled under the snow, completely out of sight.

We continued along the bank of Ketchum Run. There is no official trail that follows the run, but a path through the woods is fairly obvious. We soon reached a 10 foot high waterfall. When we were here in the summer, you could hike all the way into the run and right up to the falls. Today, we were forced to take pictures from further away, as thick ice blanketed the falls.

Frozen falls

Further down the run, we came to the top of a 20 ft falls. The top of the falls was completely frozen over. We climbed down to the bottom. Large icicles encased flowing water at the base of the falls.

More frozen falls

The Loyalsock Trail is only a short walk from the second waterfall and we hiked on to that spot. There is a nice campsite here, though it looked as if it had been some time since its last use.

From here, we retraced our steps (easy to do when yours are the only ones visible in the snow!) back to the FRNT. We took the north side of the trail on the return trip. The east branch of Ketchum Run flowed quietly nearby for the final mile.

Untouched cross country ski trail

East Branch Ketchum Run

There was only one visible set of footprints in the snow outside of ours along the FRNT. We saw numerous animal prints though, including deer, what appeared to be hare, and even bobcat tracks near Ketchum Run.

For more pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88593151@N03/sets/72157640048318626/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see the Polar Vortex has certainly helped aide the beauty of that area.  I turn into a child when I see flowing water that has frozen, like when a fountain freezes....
 Post Number: 3
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can only see your first photo.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are other people having trouble seeing my photos? I've tried on two computers and my phone and I can see them.

MRHyker - your website and Jeff Mitchell's book have been a terrific guide to hiking in this area.

@Aseege1 This photo of the frozen fountain in front of my work is for you:
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just see a little X where the photo should be. Thanks for the profs.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 6
hoosier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can see all the pics attached to your post
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I restarted I.E. and now I can see them.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 8
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics, I love Ketchum Run.  Those two off-trail falls are a real treat.  Scar Run is to the north of Ketchum and also has several 5-10 foot falls.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 12:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We want to hike Scar Run this year. We had planned on doing it last summer but did part of Ketchum Run and High Knob instead. We did the entire Ketchum Run loop in autumn of 2012 and I recall it as one of my favorite day hikes.

When the weather breaks a bit more, I think our next stop is Hoagaland Branch and Middle Branch. I haven't been out to that part of the Loyalsock yet.
 Post Number: 10
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It can be challenging to navigate the trails around Hoagland.  Trout Hole Tr is very nice and Swamp Run is beautiful with several falls and slides.  While out there, check out Bearwallow Pond.

Middle Branch is also beautiful with some great waterfalls.  Mill Creek Falls loop is a nice hike.  Hogback Trail is fun and the Mill Creek Falls are very nice.

One of my favorite places is the pond off of the High Knob Tr; it is serene, beautiful and a wonderful place to camp.

It is here:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.....=h&z=17

Loyalsock SF is a hiking wonderland.
9 replies since Jan. 28 2014, 12:30 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TR: Loyalsock SF:Frozen Falls on Ketchum Run
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions