2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Annual Springtime Backpack Trek in Pa< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2014, 8:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Time to start pondering destinations in Pa. for my springtime backpack trek. Old jaunts include: Oil Creek State Park, Laurel Highlands Trail & Allegheny National Forest (North Country Trail).

Looking at trails/sites in Central or Western Pa...

Any other sites, trails or recommendations would be appreciated.

--------------
"Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2014, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ever done the Standing Stone or Mid State? What are the time/distance/scenery preferences?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2014, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Quehanna area is worth checking out. There are a lot of trails on the eastern side in the Quehanna wild area. You could make various loops. The Mid state and standing trails are great too, you will have a lot of great views, albeit a lot of rocks as well.
 Post Number: 4
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2014, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SST is great in spring, redbuds and dogwoods will be blooming.  The trail from Greenwood Furnace State Park to US 22 (Thousand Steps) is excellent.  Yes, some sections are rocky, but there are many great views.  The trail through Rocky Ridge is beautiful.

Eastern Quehanna is excellent as well.

Also consider West Rim Trail or Mid State Trail.
 Post Number: 5
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2014, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks for the recommendations.. gonna check out those areas...

--------------
"Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 6
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2014, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Given your proximity I would highly recommend the Quehanna Trail as well. I describe four hikes on my site.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 7
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2014, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The northeast area of the Quehanna is really beautiful.  Tons of trails to make a loop.
 Post Number: 8
JonW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2014, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quehanna has many trails so you could 'design' your hike to most any length.

The Susquehannock Trail is an 85 mile loop, but now has several cross-connector trails that can be used for shorter loops.

To mention some other trails:
The Allegheny Front Trail is a 42 mile loop with a cross connector trail.
The Black Forest Trail is a jewel 42 miles in length with several options to shorten it - many great vistas
The Chuck Keiper Trail is a double loop trail 24 and 31 miles in length but is a real beast to hike.
The Old Loggers Path is a 27 mile loop that may be difficult to get to but has high reward to effort ratio.
The Elk Trail is a nice easy 17 mile end to end trail that requires a shuttle, but you may well see elk on your hike

You can find more information on MRHyker's web site or at the NEOH web site: http://neohbackpackingclub.com/home.aspx
7 replies since Mar. 10 2014, 8:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Annual Springtime Backpack Trek in Pa
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions