2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Monogehala N. F, - Otter Creek area, Backcoubtry campsites?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Mobile1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2014, 10:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This spring I will go backpacking in the Otter Creek area of the Monongehela National Forest.

Are any backcountry campsites mapped?  I cannot find a map.

Also, if you have any comments on good or bad trails then I would like to hear them.

Thank you for your help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2014, 3:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id142.html
 Post Number: 3
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2014, 7:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Designated Wilderness Area.,  There are no Established or Maintained Campsites, but a number of sites regularly used by backpackers.. a few notable ones along Glady Creek.

Wonderful area. You'll enjoy it.

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2014, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glady Fork (not Creek) is on the east side of Otter Creek Wilderness but never even touches the Wilderness boundary. There is one trailhead access from it (Mylius Tr.). While there are some large campsites along it I don't believe that is what the OP was asking. Standard FS & Wilderness regs hold. Camp about anywhere you want as long as you are 200 ft from streams or trails. Along Otter Creek Tr. the rule gets bent quite often. As for trails, most are pretty good. I haven't been in since the cleanup after Superstorm Sandy but hear that they're fine now. Green Mt. Trail is probably the toughest with it's steep climb. Otter Creek Tr. is obvious the gem here cutting clear through the area and nearly all other trails connect to it for all kinds of loops. Moore Run Tr. is nice as is McGowan Mt. As for maps the midatlantic site already linked is good but you can also get 24K maps from the WV Highlands Conservancy here.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 5
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2014, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's three big camp sites up on Shavers. The one is at the junction with Mylius ( I wouldn't use it unless you like having people tramp through all the time).

Then there are two big ones on either side of the intersection of Shavers and the old shelter area. The one to the west has the spring.

Most of the camps on the main Otter Creek trail are within feet of the trail or stream.

There's a nice one on Moore Run trail, right before it drops down to cross Otter Creek.
 Post Number: 6
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From my limited knowledge of Otter Creek, which would be about 50% of the place, there are good camping spots all along Otter Creek itself, and as arfcomhkr says the spot up on top of Shavers where the old shelter used to be is the best in there IMO.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 8:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, multitudes of spots along Otter Creek, plus the aforementioned ones on Shaver's Mt. There are also spots along McGowan Mt. trail and a possible one on Yellow Creek Tr. If you use Pointy Knob trail to access the Wilderness (it is entirely outside the boundary) you could camp at the jct of it and the old Baker Sods trail also - plenty of room there.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 8
spac3man Search for posts by this member.
Appalachian

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2014, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can cross-reference people's posted trip reports & blogs online... this can also  give you some photo images. The rangers & trail crew will also mark spots on your map if you visit on the way in, bring a 1:24000 scale.

There are some great spots in the pines on the top of McGowan Mountain, along the Turkey Run Trail. I love the sound of that wind whistling up there! Have fun, and be safe!

--------------
Sláinte
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depending on how late in the spring you go the stinging nettles on the lower end of Turkey Run Tr. (the old road part) are horrendous.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Apr. 01 2014, 11:41 am)
Depending on how late in the spring you go the stinging nettles on the lower end of Turkey Run Tr. (the old road part) are horrendous.

I agree with V but from what I remember the road part with the nettles was the upper (northern part) of Turkey Run Tr.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The part with the nettles is indeed the northern end where the trail meets FS701. By lower I was referring to the elevation.

--------------
10 replies since Mar. 26 2014, 10:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Monogehala N. F, - Otter Creek area
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions