2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Big Schloss< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 8:40 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, so this is looking like its gonna be the first Backpacking trip of the year for Arfcomhkr and I since he bought some land closer to the area.  Anyways were looking at maybe a mid-may date, and we'll be coming in from the WV side, from Wardensville.  I believe there is access in from that way correct??  

Basically we'll do the route MrHyker has in his book, and on the web, so the route should be self explanatory.  Also, how busy is this circuit??  I know since we're getting closer to DC, we get the city yokles more than over here in the Mon forest where we're used to no one being around....
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

jnk,

I did a backpacking trip at Big Schloss some years ago and really enjoyed the area. A bit different than the Mon but still very nice. We came in from Wardensville. In the middle of town (well, if you can call it a town) you turn south and we parked at the Wolf Gap Recreation Area. There were a moderate number of cars there. It's a steep climb up the mountain until you reach the top and then relatively level. Expect the day hikers at Big Schloss itself but don't avoid it because of that - some of the best views in the area are there. We did a 4 day trip using several trails up there. I remember Half Moon Lookout being nice also. One of my favorite trails was the Little Stony Creek trail with side hill walking in laurel tunnels. We did go in early November but we only saw a few people near the beginning. Enjoy the trip.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 3
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you doing just the Big Schloss Loop (12 miles) or the Trout Run Valley Circumnavigation (25 miles)?

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A less crowded parking area is to follow Waites Run all the way to the end and park at the cul-de-sac by the gate.  You'll have to take old mail path from there, and hook up with Racer Camp Hollow (right turn), from which you will hit the major 4-way intersect with Tuscarora and others in a little over a mile.  From here, you can tramp out to BS.  It's a pretty hike.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Mar. 28 2014, 9:31 am)
Are you doing just the Big Schloss Loop (12 miles) or the Trout Run Valley Circumnavigation (25 miles)?

Not sure yet, but being the first trip of the year, probably go for the short loop you have on the site, but maybe continuing on down from Big Schloss out to Wolf run.  We'd just have to drop a truck up there, and one down below at whatever that parking area is listed in your description.

We know nothing about that area, closest I have been is driving through Wardensville a couple of years ago.  I doubt we'll scout it, unless Arf wants to sometime we're over at his place, too far for me to drive over there look at it and come back home.

Forgive me if i don't know the names of these places, like i said it is truly new ground to me.
 Post Number: 6
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The distance is going to be only about 1.5 miles or less longer if you just park at the Little Stony Run Trailhead, using one car, and doing the hike as described. Most of the locals wanting to hike to Big Schloss will be going up and down Mill Mt Trail from Wolf Gap.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Mar. 28 2014, 1:12 pm)
The distance is going to be only about 1.5 miles or less longer if you just park at the Little Stony Run Trailhead, using one car, and doing the hike as described. Most of the locals wanting to hike to Big Schloss will be going up and down Mill Mt Trail from Wolf Gap.

Will keep that in mind thanks.  Like I said i don't know the area, so I'm looking at it all on google earth..
 Post Number: 8
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's all new to me. But since I now own a place in that area, we'll be backpacking it kind of by default since it's close.

I'm going in there completely dumb though.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2014, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MR's site is good but I first learned about the area from the book Hiking Virginia's National Forests by Karin Wuertz-Schaefer. Another good book is Wild Virginia by Steven Carroll and Mark Miller though it doesn't really go as far north as Big Schloss but it does cover Little River and Ramsey's Draft. Another website with good info for this area is Hiking Upward.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2014, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Mar. 29 2014, 3:37 pm)
MR's site is good but I first learned about the area from the book Hiking Virginia's National Forests by Karin Wuertz-Schaefer. Another good book is Wild Virginia by Steven Carroll and Mark Miller though it doesn't really go as far north as Big Schloss but it does cover Little River and Ramsey's Draft. Another website with good info for this area is Hiking Upward.

Now that you mention Ramsey's draft, we're planning that for June.  We figure the water should be low enough by then to make it a decent hike.  Whether we do east or west we haven't decided.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2014, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done Ramsey's Draft twice. First time was back in the 80's when the hemlocks were in their glory. Second time they were going down. Don't know if there's anything left of them now. The second time I went was in July and it was 80-some degrees and something like 90% humidity with little gnats all over the place. I wore a headset but nearly passed out wearing it due to the heat. Hiner Spring was wonderful though with 40F water flowing and the ridge hike was great. Go as early in June as you can. IMO, Laurel Fork, VA is a much nicer place.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2014, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Mar. 29 2014, 5:17 pm)
I've done Ramsey's Draft twice. First time was back in the 80's when the hemlocks were in their glory. Second time they were going down. Don't know if there's anything left of them now. The second time I went was in July and it was 80-some degrees and something like 90% humidity with little gnats all over the place. I wore a headset but nearly passed out wearing it due to the heat. Hiner Spring was wonderful though with 40F water flowing and the ridge hike was great. Go as early in June as you can. IMO, Laurel Fork, VA is a much nicer place.

Laurel Fork VA is planned for a fall trip :laugh:
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

You'll enjoy Laurel Fork.

--------------
12 replies since Mar. 28 2014, 8:40 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Big Schloss
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions