2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: American Chestnut Replanting, Progress Against the Chestnut Blight< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 6:30 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Replanting in various Mid Atlantic States .

Planting will continue in national forests. And next spring in Pennsylvania’s Westmoreland County, about 500 more of the blight-resistant chestnuts will be planted on a private, cutover forest plot,

http://www.americanforests.org/magazin....hestnut

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A virtual friend, a retire Biology teacher in PA - He helps me with fungus identification and occasionally plants - worked on a project creating these new trees.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2014, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1800's Chestnut Log Cabin/School House Found in WVA

http://www.aol.com/article....ebmail4

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 4
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2014, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read about this a few days ago.  I hadn't realized that there was such a thing as chestnut blight.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 5
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2014, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A friend with PA Ag gave me one back on 2002.  He kept two.  All three died quickly.  Hopefully they've bred a better one by now, but, really, it'll just be a human-concocted hybrid.

Still, we can dream of what used to be...
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been planting hundreds of Chinese Chestnuts & Seedlngs around Ohio & Pa in the hopes of getting some natural cross-hydbridization with the few rare, remaining American Chestnuts.

I know where there are 2 mature American Chestnuts in northern Portage County, Ohio.  They are 60-75ft tall., straight trunks to 30+ft with 10-12" trunk diameters.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 7
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the late 1920's my grandparents had a house built. It was the first house they owned since coming to the USA from northern England. The interior was finished with chestnut woodwork throughout.... stairs, bannisters, chair rails, doors and windows all without a drop of paint. The carpenters really showed their craft with a beautiful wood. Family dinners there were always special and lots of great memories. The house is still standing and I pass by every week. I hope the latest family loves the place as much as we did. The idea of other families having new homes trimmed in chestnut seems a possibility again. I'm guessing they won't be dairy farmers though. :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokingHead @ Apr. 24 2014, 9:10 pm)
In the late 1920's my grandparents had a house built. It was the first house they owned since coming to the USA from northern England. The interior was finished with chestnut woodwork throughout.... stairs, bannisters, chair rails, doors and windows all without a drop of paint. The carpenters really showed their craft with a beautiful wood. Family dinners there were always special and lots of great memories. The house is still standing and I pass by every week. I hope the latest family loves the place as much as we did. The idea of other families having new homes trimmed in chestnut seems a possibility again. I'm guessing they won't be dairy farmers though. :)

It's fantastic wood, and I would heartily welcome its return.  I've seen furniture from the mid-1700s to the early 1800s that had single chestnut boards over three feet wide.
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I pray it goes well.  I'll go help plant around here if it does.

I know of several old growth groves of different trees here in Georgia.  I won't tell where they are.  They are mysterious, hallowed places of deep feelings.

One I knew of was logged 30 years ago.  When I went to it and found it gone, I cried.

Grand, old trees are treasures.  If we can make some for future generations, our souls may be blessed.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
8 replies since Apr. 21 2014, 6:30 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply American Chestnut Replanting
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions