2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 1312345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: SEC Football 2012< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
VAN Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 8:43 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is that time of year again folks... the countdown has begun! Only 42 days until the start of the 2012 college football season. The first SEC Game is South Carolina against Vandy on Thursday August 30th.

This year we welcome Texas A&M and Missouri into the league, should make for some interesting match ups.

I am predicting we will have another SEC National Championship this year. The question is, who will it be??

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, LSU and Bama will again be the teams to beat in the SEC, I'm fairly sure. Hopefully my Michigan Wolverines will set Bama back a notch in the opening games.

As far as a the (mythical) national championship, I'd probably have to go with USC (the one in LA) this year. The NCAA's wrist slap didn't hurt them nearly enough, and the rest of the P12 is not that great, so they should have a not-too-difficult time getting to the championship game.

I'd like to see a college football landscape where the NCAA actually had some teeth and the conferences all played by more-or-less the same rules with respect to recruiting, etc. I think that would make the game a lot more interesting than it currently is on the national level.
 Post Number: 3
MikeRegas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like Bama, they are loaded again and again...

Michigan has a fun QB to watch but he is no match for Bama, I think they have to much speed on defense.

I agree with cwesten about USC, I think Lane Kiffen is a punk (I'm a Tennessee). If they make though the PAC whatever conference I think the will get crushed by SEC speed, size and depth...

My hope this season is that TN beats FL.

Go Vols!!!
 Post Number: 4
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 5
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i doubt it will be tennessee, and quite frankly i dont care........

but, i did interview coach dooley today......
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I expect nothing of UGA this year.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank goodness for Lady Vol Basketball.......

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I personally hope the Gators can win at least 9 games. Last year was obnoxious.

As long as we beat TN and GA, I'm happy :)

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jul. 20 2012, 6:25 pm)
I expect nothing of UGA this year.

I thought they were supposed to be pretty good this year, and favored to win the East?
I hope so. I cheer for Bama, but like LSU and GA, too.

I'm interested to see Missouri and Texas A&M in conference play. Missouri is supposed to have a real strong offense this year, and their conference opener is UGA.

Guess since Boise St. put such a whipping on Arizona St. in their bowl game(and beat GA before their win streak) that we'll have to hear crap about them all year again, especially since they've got another solid QB taking the reins...
 Post Number: 10
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm so freaking pumped about the upcoming football matches.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 11
JtPeso Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For anyone not looking forward to your season, just remember: It Could Be Worse. (I'm a Kentucky fan.)
 Post Number: 12
BGTwinDad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(yawn) wake me up when basketball season starts... I like football well enough but don't really get too excited about it...
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MikeRegas @ Jul. 19 2012, 8:05 am)
Michigan has a fun QB to watch but he is no match for Bama, I think they have to much speed on defense.

That may well turn out to be true, but it is an incredibly tired meme just the same. Every time we (Michigan) play an SEC team, we hear the same story about SEC speed. Well, 7 of the last 10 matchups with the SEC have gone Michigan's way, somehow.

Look, I'm not stupid--the SEC is obviously the number one conference. But that myth about the invincibility of SEC speed is exactly that--a myth. I'm pretty sure other teams recruit fast/skilled players, too.

What I really wish is that the conferences all played by the same recruiting rules. That would make the national picture much more interesting for the worlds greatest spectator sport (by which I mean college football, of course).
 Post Number: 14
kathirena Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I feel a hallelujah coming on. Football season is amazing....I do so desperately hope that Tennessee starts improving... I miss Fulmer. Since he ceased to coach our team has been an embarrassment. When Tennessee fans make fun of our own team, things are bad.

--------------
I look at him more with envy than fear;
He seems not to know the depth nor the duration of his woe.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jul. 21 2012, 2:20 pm)
Every time we (Michigan) play an SEC team, we hear the same story about SEC speed. Well, 7 of the last 10 matchups with the SEC have gone Michigan's way, somehow.

Look, I'm not stupid--the SEC is obviously the number one conference. But that myth about the invincibility of SEC speed is exactly that--a myth. I'm pretty sure other teams recruit fast/skilled players, too.

Oh, stop living in the past. Michigan's most recent SEC opponent was Mississippi State, season before last, who got outscored 3 to 1 when they played Bama and LSU, but kicked the living crap out of Michigan 52-14.
:p
If you're a Michigan fan, this actually seems like a good time to play Bama again. UA just lost a ton of talent. I looked it up, and Michigan has beat them all three times they played('88, '97, 2000).
 Post Number: 16
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JtPeso @ Jul. 21 2012, 3:10 pm)
For anyone not looking forward to your season, just remember: It Could Be Worse. (I'm a Kentucky fan.)

We lost to KY last year.

Go Vols?
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Jul. 21 2012, 5:31 pm)
Oh, stop living in the past. Michigan's most recent SEC opponent was Mississippi State, season before last, who got outscored 3 to 1 when they played Bama and LSU, but kicked the living crap out of Michigan 52-14.

LOL. I'm living in the past by citing the last ten times they've played the SEC?

Mississippi State was nothing. Michigan completely sucked and the team had completely quit on the lame duck coach. They'd have lost spectacularly to anyone that day. That's why ten-game series records are more meaningful than single game outcomes.

FWIW, Bama beat Michigan in the '97 Outback Bowl. ('96 season.) Michigan beat Bama the other two times they have played.

I think Michigan has a chance against them this year, but I wouldn't bet on them. Their DL is green and they lack explosive skill players other than Denard. It would be an extremely pleasant surprise if they won.
 Post Number: 18
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2012, 1:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you seen interviews with the two new SEC coaches, from Texas A&M and Missouri?  I love how the the Texas A&M coach is demure and respectful, i.e. recognizing the SEC's dominance and happy to be in the league while the Missouri coach scoffs at the talent of the SEC for the past decade. :laugh:

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2012, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pastywhite @ Jul. 21 2012, 10:02 pm)

(JtPeso @ Jul. 21 2012, 3:10 pm)

We lost to KY last year.

Go Vols?

Ya I remember that.

I'll cheer for the Vols any weekend except the 3rd Saturday in September. I do truly hope they do better this year. Dooley and our couch Muschamp both played under Saban and are friends. I'd hate to see either get sacked after this year.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
Ickuss Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2012, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Jul. 22 2012, 1:14 am)
Have you seen interviews with the two new SEC coaches, from Texas A&M and Missouri?  I love how the the Texas A&M coach is demure and respectful, i.e. recognizing the SEC's dominance and happy to be in the league while the Missouri coach scoffs at the talent of the SEC for the past decade. :laugh:

Believe me he is not scoffing at the SEC talent, Coach Pinkel comes across as very dry and carries a very dry sense of humor and very seldom smiles even after a win. He knows as a coach Mizzou football has a tough road ahead of them in the SEC and made this known after the news of the transition from the Big 12. He and Coach Saban were teammates at Kent State in the early 70's and are good friends.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jul. 21 2012, 9:44 pm)
FWIW, Bama beat Michigan in the '97 Outback Bowl. ('96 season.) Michigan beat Bama the other two times they have played.

Huh...I must have gone dyslexic or something, and was seeing the 1999 score when they beat Arkansas, instead of the Alabama score.
 Post Number: 22
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2012, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm hoping for improvement at UT.
My enthusiasim is slightly subdued this year due to the Sandusky bs at Penn State.
 Post Number: 23
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2012, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ever since we hired Charlie Strong to HC, our program has been getting better.  So, the University of Louisville has a connection to SEC football, even if they are not in the same class.  Still, we should be getting some reknown this Fall.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2012, 7:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jul. 23 2012, 12:27 am)
Ever since we hired Charlie Strong to HC, our program has been getting better.  So, the University of Louisville has a connection to SEC football, even if they are not in the same class.  Still, we should be getting some reknown this Fall.  

Charlie Strong is amazing. I wish he would have stayed in Gainesville. I keep an eye on Louisville because of him and wish him much success

--------------
 Post Number: 25
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2012, 7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ickuss @ Jul. 22 2012, 11:27 am)
Believe me he is not scoffing at the SEC talent,

Maybe not, but the interview I saw certainly didn't offer any respect.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2012, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's ok. Looking at 3 out of their first 4 conference games, if he doesn't have any respect for the SEC, he'll probably learn some pretty quick.
 Post Number: 27
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2012, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jul. 21 2012, 3:20 pm)
That may well turn out to be true, but it is an incredibly tired meme just the same. Every time we (Michigan) play an SEC team, we hear the same story about SEC speed. Well, 7 of the last 10 matchups with the SEC have gone Michigan's way, somehow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Florida_Citrus_Bowl

sorry.  couldn't resist.  Here in TN, hanging our hat on history is all we've got left.  :)
 Post Number: 28
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2012, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Owen...fix your picture.
please.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2012, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry, it won't let me edit. Maybe eyebp can delete it?
 Post Number: 30
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2012, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like trouble for LSU

http://www.chron.com/sports....3312471

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
365 replies since Jul. 19 2012, 8:43 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 1312345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply SEC Football 2012
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions