2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: It's raining, let's do Honey Loop Trail!, O.o< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bukkit Search for posts by this member.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Apostrophes, Founder

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 9:31 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So it's only a 60% chance of ThunderShowers for my BP trip to Honey Creek Loop on Saturday... of course, "If it ain't rainin', it ain't trainin'."

Oh, maybe it's just... at night - the tarp can handle it!

"Showers and thundershowers likely in the morning with a shower or two possible during the afternoon. High 71F. WSW winds shifting to NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%."

:lol:

That wasn't part of the plan - Base camp off the nearby JMT, stash gear, and hike to the Loop with daypacks in shorts and 80 weather. It'll be interesting, certainly...

Any amendments to that plan, other than just accepting my stashed gear will be wrapped under a tarp? I guess we sit in camp for the morning worst of it, and sip tea/coffee under a tarp... hope there's a sittin' log nearby!

Will a bear bag hang survive the morning in the 20mph wind? Bah, bears wouldn't look for food in the rain. Heh.

/mind-dump complete

Oh - good morning. :p

--------------
"If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees." ~ Kahlil Gibran
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the hike's more fun when the water's up anyway

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 3
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck.  Theres a few creek crossings that could get hairy in a downpour.
If you've got a vehicle at your basecamp, I'd make sure and lock everything inside before leaving.
 Post Number: 4
TheBeef Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2012, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two more weeks and I'll be doing that trail...I've been hoping it cools off quite a bit. I do love hiking in bad weather though.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2012, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Made it back!  ; )

Hiked half of Saturday in the rain (successfully!); saw a big copperhead; tried/failed to avoid the carpet of poison ivy. -.-

Trail truly was impressive, even with low(ish?) levels; crossings never involved wet feet - unless you slip. :cough:

Phone was dead when we got there, so I didn't get many pics. I'll edit this thread with more in a bit.

chris

--------------
"If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees." ~ Kahlil Gibran
 Post Number: 6
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2012, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

where'd you end up camping?

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Sep. 10 2012, 2:55 pm)
where'd you end up camping?

About 1.5 miles south of the trail intersection @ JMT/Honey Creek Loop, somewhere near 100 yards from the trail.

The carpet of poison ivy was annoying, as well as the cockroaches that lived in the tree I tied the hammock off to, but the 'site itself turned out fairly usable.

The base camp plan was ideal, I think: HCL trail kicked our butts! We were rather glad that last 1.5 miles back to camp was straight, flat, and obvious. ; )

chris

--------------
 Post Number: 8
backpackbman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 12:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chris- I will be in that area for the first time. Enohg trails to keep someone busy for 3 days of hiking, while having a centralized basecamp? (And avoiding the ivy ; ).  )
7 replies since Sep. 07 2012, 9:31 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply It's raining, let's do Honey Loop Trail!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions