2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Other hkes i should do, non smokies please< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 5:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok......boys and girls...

soooooooo................due to the nature of my hiking schedule and ironic timing---i for the most part will be done with the GSMNP by the end of this year.........

it has NOTHING to do with the fee that's being enacted......and please don't turn this thread into a debate about the fee.......we've done debated that thing in other places so this thread is not the place...

with that being said----i'm looking for other places to go.......and for the record---while the smokies has been my love for the last 15 years--it's time to explore other areas.......

and with my goal of staying in a different place each time i go backpacking---the smokies (shortly) will no longer fulfill my goals.....

soooooo.........

i'm looking for places that i shouldnt miss here in east tennessee area......

looking for 10 to 20 miles of trail......preferrably within 3 hours of drive time from knoxville..........and must be able to throw a tent up somewhere....

ok---throw them out......

where should i go?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How bout come up here and do the 100 mile wilderness with me?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia....ss.html

The Cohutta adjoins another wilderness in TN: Big Frog.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big frog is on my short list........got the tim homan book for that area....

100 mile wilderness is on long list.....

Oh.......and i shoulda mentioned this earlier but if possible id prefer specific routes/trails as opposed to general areas......

And thanks in advance......
 Post Number: 5
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you should check out the Fires Creek Rim Trail down in Nantahala. i haven't hiked the whole rim yet, but this place is fun. take yer GPS if you got it ... trails fade in to the forest, especially the side trails.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fires creek is also on short list........at an atlanta rei, found a rough guidebook on that on aa wwll.as chunky gal....
 Post Number: 7
BenInTenn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you thought of doing any of the Benton MacKaye Trail? I've done a little of it around the Hiwasse and it was a pretty river side trail...flat too.
 Post Number: 8
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AT Sections:
Roan Mountain
Big Bald
Max Patch
Hot Springs - Flat Laurel River

Panthertown Valley, Shining Rock, Middle Prong Wilderness, Mt. Mitchell, Chatooga River Trail, Foothills Trail, Mountain Bridge Wilderness, and Pisgan National Forest are all with in your driving range, although not in Tennessee.
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Sep. 24 2012, 6:18 pm)

Oh.......and i shoulda mentioned this earlier but if possible id prefer specific routes/trails as opposed to general areas......

I can get more specific about the Cohutta.

Both river trails are great for hot summer as there are about 40 river crossings on each trail.  Under twenty miles leaving plenty of time and milage for side trips like Panther Creek Trail off The Conasauga River Trail.  These are end-to-end trips requiring a shuttle or car drop.

Looking carefully at the map you'll see many loop options.  These can be done in winter with minimal river crossings.  I did Hickory Creek to East Cowpen to Panther Creek to Conasauga River to Hickory Creek.  21 miles, only two river crossings, easy three day trip.

I'm waiting for a good winter so I can do a "circumnavigation" of the Cohutta.  It will be established trails, abandoned trails, and bushwhacking.  Probably take about a week.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 10
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BenInTenn @ Sep. 24 2012, 6:36 pm)
Have you thought of doing any of the Benton MacKaye Trail? I've done a little of it around the Hiwasse and it was a pretty river side trail...flat too.

This came to mind for me too.
 Post Number: 11
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Fat Trail and Slick Rock Creek Trail.....camp near the falls on Wildcat Creek.

You've probably already hiked this haven't you?

I think the Fiery Gizzard is another must do....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 12
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 3:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

South Cumberland (Savage Gulf) is well worth the visit. Spring is the best time.
Big South Fork.
Sheltowee Trace, KY
Mt Rogers, VA
The Pinhoti and Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama are well worth the extra couple of hours of driving time.
 Post Number: 13
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 6:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe you've done this already, but I've wanted to explore the backcountry area of Standing Indian ever since we car camped there....

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 14
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Sep. 25 2012, 2:08 am)
The Pinhoti and Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama are well worth the extra couple of hours of driving time.

+1

And there's a good bit of Pinhoti in GA that might be within your driving range.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
schlanky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I very much enjoyed Frozen Head. I walked most of the trails there last April.

Try Chimney Top Trail to camp at Mart Fields on Day 1. Day 2, go over to top of Frozen Head, then come down North Old Mac Trail. For an easier hike, reverse this loop.

You could also do a loop with one of these trails on first day: North Old Mac, South Old Mac or Spicewood. Camp at Squire Knob. Day 2 take North Bird back to car. You'll have an easy road walk between trailheads---the North Bird trail starts in the campground and most of the other trails come back to one parking lot near the park office.

North Bird is the only trail I haven't completely walked at Frozen Head, but the portion of it I've seen was nice.

All these are best walked  during spring bloom. There is sometimes water at Coffin Springs on North Bird side of park or at Mart Fields on the other side. If these are dry, only reliable water up top is at Tub Springs at base of final climb to top of Frozen Head.

--------------
This house has stood through five tornadoes,
droughts and floods and five tornadoes
---
DBT
 Post Number: 16
chief1 Search for posts by this member.
Labeck

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I could never abandon the smokies. It’s been such a big part of me for over 40+ years, but, I have started cutting my trips to the smokies down, and started focusing elsewhere.
Just a few suggestions,
Grayson Highlands,
Cheaha.
BSF.
Another thing that I have done a little & wanted to pursue more was the smokies man ways?

--------------
The Best thing to do behind a Friends back is to Pat it.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I could never abandon the smokies. It’s been such a big part of me for over 40+ years, but, I have started cutting my trips to the smokies down, and started focusing elsewhere.

yeah.....not necessarily abandoning the park, but kinda moving on...

i set a goal for myself last year or so, not to stay in the same place as i've stayed in the past.......

and with me being oh so close to staying in every campsite in the park---it's time to start researching other areas..........

i do have plans on doing some of the manways and what not..........especially up to old CS 88 along with the three forks area......
 Post Number: 18
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Sep. 25 2012, 4:36 pm)

yeah.....not necessarily abandoning the park, but kinda moving on...

i set a goal for myself last year or so, not to stay in the same place as i've stayed in the past.......

and with me being oh so close to staying in every campsite in the park---it's time to start researching other areas..........

i do have plans on doing some of the manways and what not..........especially up to old CS 88 along with the three forks area......

Ok manways are new to me.  Is there a list or book or anything I can view to check out which ones are in my area?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok manways are new to me.  Is there a list or book or anything I can view to check out which ones are in my area?

not necessarily.....

there are some books (like ken wise's) that list a few of them.........but not a definitive list....

most manway research is done via old guidebooks (like the sierra blue book) along with internet research....
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Sep. 25 2012, 4:43 pm)

check out the old USGS topos for your area and look for the dotted lines that don't correspond to a maintained trail

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah..........i forgot to add that old maps are a great source of research......
 Post Number: 22
chief1 Search for posts by this member.
Labeck

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 5:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yea,  I have the 1st addition or what they call the Blue book. &  I also have all the TOPos of the park dating way way back, then there is the old man at the BC office at sugarlands who has told me he has hiked all the manways. I got a lot of info from him,

--------------
The Best thing to do behind a Friends back is to Pat it.
 Post Number: 23
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2012, 1:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kevin,
a few you should check out.....
Cherokee NF - North Fork Citico -> Fodderstack -> South Fork Citico
Nantahala NF - Hangover -> Haoe -> Slickrock -> Big Fat Gap
Cherokee NF - Upper Bald River Wilderness loop
Cherokee NF - Sycamore -> Whigg FS road -> Mud Gap -> BMT -> Whigg FS road -> Whigg Ridge (some gravel FS road walking)
Cherokee/Nantahala - BMT -> Big Stack -> Slickrock -> Stiffknee
Pisgah (Shining Rock) Big East Fork -> Grassy Ridge -> MTS - > Shining Creek

Tried to keep it all within 3 hours of Knoxville.  Those are my favorites.
I'd love to do a few of these with you if our schedules can work together.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2012, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Upper Bald River -- is that the loop including the BMT? are there any good views up on the stateline ridge?

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 25
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Linville Gorge: East Rim
Mt. Rogers and Grayson Highlands
Black Mountains: Black Mountain Crest Trail
 Post Number: 26
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 24 2012, 7:12 pm)

(kevinumberger @ Sep. 24 2012, 6:18 pm)

I can get more specific about the Cohutta.

Both river trails are great for hot summer as there are about 40 river crossings on each trail.  Under twenty miles leaving plenty of time and milage for side trips like Panther Creek Trail off The Conasauga River Trail.  These are end-to-end trips requiring a shuttle or car drop.

Looking carefully at the map you'll see many loop options.  These can be done in winter with minimal river crossings.  I did Hickory Creek to East Cowpen to Panther Creek to Conasauga River to Hickory Creek.  21 miles, only two river crossings, easy three day trip.

I'm waiting for a good winter so I can do a "circumnavigation" of the Cohutta.  It will be established trails, abandoned trails, and bushwhacking.  Probably take about a week.

TDale,

I'm going backpacking SOMEWHERE in the Southern Appalachians the week of October 21-27, and was seriously considering a big loop in Cohutta that would include a stretch of the Jacks River Trail between the Rice Camp & Sugar Cove trails.

I understand there would be a lot of river crossings on the Jacks, but I'm not sure how high the water might be this October, and how cold. Any info on that?

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
25 replies since Sep. 24 2012, 5:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Other hkes i should do
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions