2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Leconte at Night, or how i had alum cave all to myself< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 5:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

howdy......

wellllllll...........it's been a long time since i've done a trail report......for varying reasons, i havent gotten around to doing them anymore but figured for this trip, i'd have to....

anyways.......this trip has been on my mind for a couple of years now.........i'm not a morning person, and i knew that if i stayed at Leconte shelter, i'd never see the sunrise from up top as i would never get my ass outta bed.....

so, a night hike was in order..........

got a reservation for leconte about a month ago (in the quest to complete all the backcountry sites, its time to start knocking off the shelters), and figured this would be the time to do it.....

so it was done......

i worked last friday til 7 pm........quickly came home and ate something and fell asleep for a couple of hours....

woke up shortly before 11 pm......watched the news and nightline while packing up the last few items........

then i was outta the house by midnight....

stopped in pigeon forge to at 1 am to get a pre hike omelette and to kill off some time (after all, i didnt want to get to the top of the mountain with a lot of time left over as i would probably pass out).....

on alum cave trail at 2:15 am.......

surprisingly, had the trail all to myself..... ???

on way up, turned off headlamp a few times to watch stars and was rewarded by 2 shooting stars.....

got to lodge at 5:15 am.....

at mytle point at 5:50 ish..........and it was cold there as the wind was blowing pretty good.....

layed back and watched the stars for a touch while waiting on sunrise......

watched the whole progression of the sunrise from the almost pitch black, to a sliver of light, to the sun coming over the horizon, to it fully being up.....

needless to say---with the weather we've had this past week----it was friggin awesome....

my plan for the rest of the day was to sleep, eat, and read......and watch the sunset.....

welllll........got to do most of those except the sleep part....

the last people to leave the shelter left at 1030 am and i was in my sleeping bag at 1031 am...

slept for an hour, and was rudely awaken by the ranger who was yelling at me to get awake..........just to check my permit.......

couldnt fall back to sleep as from that point on---every 15 minutes or so, another group of dayhikers would pass the shelter, and talk..............

went to cliff tops around 6 pm and watched the full progression of the sunset..........and it was equally entertaining as the sunrise was...........

and the views were outstanding........could see all the way past knoxville.......

after sunset, the moon, with it being about half, came out and lit the mountain up....

next day, came out boulevard trail with not a cloud in the sky and views for miles and miles and miles....

i didnt take a bunch of photos on this trip, but maybe hope to post one later.....

what a way to see leconte.....
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Sep. 25 2012, 5:07 pm)
slept for an hour, and was rudely awaken by the ranger who was yelling at me to get awake..........just to check my permit.......

they put out an APB regarding a deadhead who was freakin out squares up on Leconte... musta thought you were the perp

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yup....

and that's why he checked permits 2 other times throughout day....

whats funny is that one of the other people (a stranger to me) that stayed up there---well, him and i talked allman brothers talk and grateful dead talk for a few hours....

turns out, him and i have mutual friends, and have been in various cities seeing the same shows...

he was at my first dead show in 88......along with some of the new york beacon theatre allman shows....
 Post Number: 4
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a small world ain't it.  :)
Sounds like an awesome trip.
 Post Number: 5
schlanky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool trip. Sounds like it was well worth the sleep deprivation.

--------------
This house has stood through five tornadoes,
droughts and floods and five tornadoes
---
DBT
 Post Number: 6
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've managed to wake up for the sunrise only once but it was a great one. I'm not a huge fan of the shelters but that is a good loop. Any time you have alum cave to yourself it's a good day.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i'm not a morning person and that was mainly the reason i did this as a night hike.....

i knew that if i stayed at the shelter, i would never wake up or want to wake up to see the sunrise........it just wouldnt happen......

and, hence, figured it would be easier for me to do at night.......

and yeah.......one big bonus was having alum cave to myelf..........

i did kinda think maybe i'd run into one person coming down maybe around 4 but that never happened.......

and likewise---not a big fan of shelters for a few reasons but it was a place to stay in the park...

only 2 more shelters to stay in and i'll be done with them.........
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually enjoyed Laurel Gap. Not crowded and the walk to it was awesome. Pretty Hollow Gap was hard but the rest of the loop was easy.

Best thing about the LeConte shelter is the handicap bar on the privy. I told my park employee friends I thought this was a little rude :) If someone can hike to the top leconte with ANY disability I'm pretty sure they can manage a privy without the need for a support bar.
 Post Number: 9
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2012, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did the AT, Boulivard, Alum Cave loop back in the '90s and had Boulivard and Alum Cave and trail to myself. Two other hikers stayed in the shelter. That was nice hike.
 Post Number: 10
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2012, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few years back I stayed at the LeConte Shelter on the 4th of July. I was thinking it might be possible to catch some fireworks displays looking out towards Knoxville.

Didn't happen though. Rain set in late in the afternoon and continued into the early morning hours.

I did wake up to some 'BOOMS' somewhere around midnight.

Never did figure out if it was fireworks or thunder.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2012, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kayman @ Sep. 27 2012, 11:18 am)
A few years back I stayed at the LeConte Shelter on the 4th of July. I was thinking it might be possible to catch some fireworks displays looking out towards Knoxville.

I did this recently too but got the date wrong. The Gatlinburg parade is on the night of the 3rd but the fireworks don't happen until the night of the 4th. I went on the 3rd :(
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2012, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i dont think you'd be able to see the gatlinburg fireworks from leconte...

i think g burg is too much around the "corner" of cliff tops to see the fireworks and i think from the lodge---one is looking more towards pigeon forge....

but, see the flash of the colors.....

i know that it's kinda tough to see the fireworks from the bypass as it seems like they set them off on the north ish end of town.........

the other night---we did try to see if we'd see the fireworks from when UT scored.......but we werent sure exactly where the stadium was......
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2012, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Other people have told me you can see the ones that go high and you can see the flash from all of them. i
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2012, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

only one way to find out...

i'll meet ya up there next july 4th...... ???
 Post Number: 15
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2012, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the lodge posted a pic this 4th...

http://www.highonleconte.com/1/post/2012/07/great-show1.html

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2012, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Sep. 27 2012, 5:18 pm)
only one way to find out...

i'll meet ya up there next july 4th...... ???

Done and I'll hold you to it  :laugh:
 Post Number: 17
smokehiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2012, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Sep. 27 2012, 2:54 pm)
i dont think you'd be able to see the gatlinburg fireworks from leconte...

i think g burg is too much around the "corner" of cliff tops to see the fireworks and i think from the lodge---one is looking more towards pigeon forge....

but, see the flash of the colors.....

i know that it's kinda tough to see the fireworks from the bypass as it seems like they set them off on the north ish end of town.........

the other night---we did try to see if we'd see the fireworks from when UT scored.......but we werent sure exactly where the stadium was......

Neyland Stadium is on Phillip Fulmer Way....on campus down by the river.  Everyone knows that!   :D
 Post Number: 18
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pastywhite @ Sep. 27 2012, 2:48 pm)

I did this recently too but got the date wrong. The Gatlinburg parade is on the night of the 3rd but the fireworks don't happen until the night of the 4th. I went on the 3rd :(

I think that was the night I stayed up there with ya Pasty? I had hiked up for Roaring Fork.

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
 Post Number: 19
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That had to be a crazy night hike!! Sounds Invigorating!! Thanks for the Report!

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wornoutboots @ Oct. 03 2012, 2:52 pm)

(pastywhite @ Sep. 27 2012, 2:48 pm)

I think that was the night I stayed up there with ya Pasty? I had hiked up for Roaring Fork.

Yup. That was the night.
19 replies since Sep. 25 2012, 5:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Leconte at Night
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions