2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fall 2012 Color, updates here< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 8:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have had some color around here for a week or so now. The dogwoods and sourwoods are in full color and dropping leaves. Still lots of green around town though.

I took a road trip today and there is some color to be had. 1-40 is still green. Some color around Cataloochee but still mostly green. The poplars are dropping leaves here though and the ground was covered in some places. Between Maggie Valley and Cherokee there was quite a bit of color, more than I expected.  I would imagine the Blue Ridge would be nice later this week.  Oconaluftee didn't have much color. As you get higher in elevation there was some yellows and reds, mostly sourwoods, dogwoods, and sassafras. Up on top most of the birch were yellow but there was still some green. I'd say 90% of the deciduous trees have started turning. As you start on the north side of Newfound Gap you really get some color. Mostly birch here so lots of yellow but there's just a little green left. I would say peak up here in a few days, by next weekend at the latest. From Alum Cave back to Gatlinburg there's just a touch of color, mostly the early turners.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was up along the AT between Carvers Gap and 19e this past weekend, and a bunch of colors were already poppin.   Maybe if i get motivated, I can post a picture of two........
 Post Number: 3
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't wait.

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sorry for the blank post....

trying to post a picture but seemingly cant do it...

can anyone give me a quick pointer?

thanks....
 Post Number: 6
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

goto your photo on photobucket and copy the "Image Code" and paste here.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 7
DewChugr Search for posts by this member.
Photoshop God

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ended up moving the week of our trip from the 20th to the 13th to hopefully get more color.

--------------
www.gpsbasecamp.com - Find Yourself Outdoors
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With the weather we have been having I have noticed the color slowing down. However, this Weekend looks like it will  jumper start  the process
 Post Number: 9
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 6:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, the current weather forcast says frost is possible this weekend.

Here at 900 feet the color change has just barely started......

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 10
ben3343 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 7:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fall color map.  Definitely accurate on the 10/1 areas based on what I have seen myself.

http://biology.appstate.edu/biology....arolina
 Post Number: 11
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 8:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're going to be up at Tsali on Oct. 10 - 14 mountain biking and also doing some hiking in the surrounding mountains. Looks like we might hit it at the perfect time.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the one i just posted is from little hump mountain....
 Post Number: 14
BenInTenn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm thinking of taking a last minute backpacking trip to the GSMNP early next week (9-11).  I am assuming that it need to be in the 4000-5000ft range to see good color?  Any suggestions.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hmmmmmm.............there are a ton to choose from.....

and for once, i'm at a lost at where to suggest......
 Post Number: 16
BenInTenn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I figured one out. 1st day is Fork Ridge to #53.  2nd day is Deep Creek and Pole Road to #61. Go out Noland Divide and walk the road to my car.  I figure I'll hit plenty of levels to see color.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

fwiw..........cs 53 is kinda a bland site..........

If you go a touch further down the trail, the campsites are prettier....
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

couple of shots from this past weekend.....

along newton bald trail.....

and this is what cs 52 looked like sunday morning....

Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took a valium and drove around Cades Cove this afternoon. Colors are nice but it's still a few days from peak . . say below 2500ft.  It looked liked the color was peaking on the mountains around the cove.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wish i had some valium, but instead i went down to fontana....

Likewise----higher elevations (like shuckstack) are about mid level while higher up is peaking.......lower lake level trees are just turning ....

Tale of the dragon was full of yellow.....
 Post Number: 21
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 7:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We spent Saturday in the Cohutta's.....Color in the Cohutta's is starting to show.  It's still pretty green when viewing from afar, but more color up close along the trails.

Now's a great time to be out.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2012, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yesterday was beautiful here but then it got windy and many of the trees are barren now. There's still a few maples and oaks that with some green but most of the color is gone.  My house is at 2200' so there might still be some color at lower elevations.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2012, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

there was a bit of color still left for this weekend......

i went up to double springs gap shelter and spent the night....

the spur on the way in had a bunch of color to it......

seems like everything is gold and brown though, with a few red mixed in.......

most of the high elevation color is gone---although there are pockets to be had.........still some color on the road to clingmans and along the at going towards double spring.....

the valley below bullhead----in the area of campbell overlook area---still had some green trees down there along with a bunch of gold and brown.....

and the worst traffic i've experienced in the park in quite some time.....

from campbell overlook going towards sugarlands, in the southbound side of the road, was bumper to bumper.........eased up around the visitor center but the spur was bumper to bumper for the whole length of the spur coming into the park...

luckily i was headed out of the park so traffic wasnt as bad.....

two more to go......
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2012, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ended up cancelling my reservations for tonight and was just going to do a day hike of Huskey Gap. I cannot believe the traffic. I don't know how far INTO the park the traffic went but I turned around at the entrance sign after 10 minutes of barely moving. It was backup up all the way through town and out 321 about 1/2 mile. I guess the spur was bad too. I don't think I have ever seen traffic going into the park before - coming out, sure, but never going in.

Anyway, I saw about the same as Kevin. Mostly brown and gold now. That wind we had late in the week really knocked the yellow, red, and orange down. It's still pretty though, just not as bright as it was mid-week last week.  I'd say we have a few days of color left we get the cold temps forecast for tonight and tomorrow night. It's been a good fall though. I have had color at my house since late Sept and still have a little.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2012, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Traffic-----

I had a late start on Saturday due to trying to get some new year eve tickets for phish (shut out) so i passed through sevierville around 130.....

Pretty easy going til the spur where it got backed up way before the visitors center/trolley stop.....

Newdound gap wasnt bad but glad i wasnt on chimney tops or alum.cave..........tons of cars at both trailheads.........for chimneys the parking extended all the way to the top of the loop de loop....

Clingmans dome road was smooth sailing til about just under a mile to parking lot........then bumper to bumper.....

I ended up pulling on side of oad (and it was packed with cars parked on shoulder down to the gated service road) when a spot opened about 3 minute walk from entrance to parking lot........by that point i had waited 20 minutes in that traffic and i wantes to get on trail and get to shelter.....

Coming out today----traffic was fine leaving but the southbound traffic started to become bumper to bumper at campbell overlook with it starting at sugarlands.....

Then the intersection with the bypass and the road coming from gatlinburg was gridlocked........then bypass was bumper to bumper from the that intersection to the road that hots the bypass (cant remember name right now)...

I was just glad i was leaving and not coming into park....

Hit the usual traffic spots on parkway going back to 40......
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 7:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Oct. 21 2012, 11:34 pm)
then bypass was bumper to bumper from the that intersection to the road that hots the bypass (cant remember name right now)...

Campbell Lead?
 Post Number: 27
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spent a little time on the stream yesterday near Tremont.
I think the elevations along the road were about 4-5 days past their peak leaf season.
It was a beautiful day.

Post Number: 28
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i was Big South Fork this past weekend. we saw some stunning colors with most areas just at peak it seemed, with not much green left at all.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

for work today, in order to get from walland to gatlinburg, i took the road from the wye over to sugarlands....

still plenty of gold.........the overlook just east of laurel falls parking lot was very nice with browns, golds, and a little green......

and still plenty of traffic coming into park......visitors center was packed and the road from downtown gatlinburg to sugarlands was bumper to bumper....

with the weather that's coming in later this week, i'd say this would be the last gasp of fall colors to be had......
 Post Number: 30
jayriddle Search for posts by this member.
Runs with beer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be there next week.Hope I don't miss the colors
41 replies since Sep. 30 2012, 8:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fall 2012 Color
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions