2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 3 night / 4 day's in Big South Fork, Good base camp area< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
backpackbman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 10:37 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First time heading Southeast.  Looking at doing a 3 nighter in Big South Fork area this coming weekend.  Being that I have not ventured out there before, trying to get some ideas of where to hike in at and set up a base camp.

Wanted to see where a good spot would be near a water source, secluded, wildlife, centralized point possibly where it would be good to take off from for day hikes.  Would be great to have a good view of the area (possibly higher elevation viewpoint).

At the same time considering what are some scenic areas that are a must to see.  Recommendations?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

not sure how far you're wanting to venture on your day hikes but you might consider basing somewhere around Station Camp Ford where you could do day trips over to Maude's Crack and then Twin Arches. or maybe Charit Creek Lodge which is real close to Twin Arches and within reach of Slave Falls and Needle Arch.

some other nice hikes... Hidden Passage, Rock Creek, Honey Creek, Laurel Fork (there are some friggin awesome campsites on lower Laurel Fork).

i highly recommend avoiding the horse trails. they're often wide, rocky, sometimes gravel, poopy ... not pleasant.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3
backpackbman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you ashepabst! Really appreciate the recommendations.

To further clarify, looking to do anywhere from 10-18 miles per day total, again coming back to the base camp area.  Not sure if this limits what we can see.

Out of the areas you mentioned below, what would be the "best" area for a centralized (saying we would walk in bit on the first day) base camp. We are looking to get pretty remote, being near water, and allow us to get out to the suggested areas below.

Not sure if that puts more detail into what we are looking to do. Overall, would be nice to see a variety of terrain / sights (overlooks, creek crossings, rock formations/sandstone trails, cliff trails, caves, foliage, wildlife)  Again realizing with our stipulations (having a base camp...buddy of mine broke his ankle over the summer...bummer), we may not be able to experience all that on this trip.  But the best options from your experience or research would be extremely helpful.

Also...all that being said ; ) where would be the best place to park?

Thanks again!
 Post Number: 4
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if it were me i'd go with the base camp near Station Camp Ford or Lower Laurel Fork (both are on the water)... day hike past Charit Creek Lodge and do the Twin Arches Loop and then head up to Maudes Crack/No Bussiness Butte area the next day. you can use the Charit Creek Lodge Trailhead which is somewhere around 5 miles from Station Camp Ford. there's a closer trailhead on the other side of the river, at Station Camp... but i think you have to ford the big river(???)  the only time i've hiked by here i took a detour that didn't take my by the crossing, so i'm not totally sure what the ford is like, but i'm pretty sure it's not bridged. on second thought, you could also use the Twin Arches trailhead, but that'll ruin the surprise.

be prepared for creek crossings either way. if the weather's been wet you should keep an eye on the river guages (http://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/rivergauges.htm) for this reason. i recommend getting the National Geographic map and a guide would be helpful if only because the map doesn't provide mileage (the Deavers guide is the best). you can alo pick up some crappy, hand-drawn, photo-copied maps from the ranger station... they have the mileage at least.

you'd mentioned Honey Creek in your PM ... great hike, one of the best on the Plateau IMO, but not something you could drag out for 4 days. but you guys could always move to a different spot.

so your buddy's got a bum ankle and he/she's gonna do 10-18 daily? ...mostly healed, i take it?

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 5
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you can alo pick up some crappy, hand-drawn, photo-copied maps from the ranger station.

yeah........after getting used to the smokies dollar map, the big south fork one is pretty much useless...........to a certain degree........
 Post Number: 6
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done this several times & I would say tucked away in "No Business" is where you want your basecamp. It's a truly amazing place & you can get there from about a dozen different trails + if the water level is low, you can wade across Big Island & have even more to xplore.  I'm not sure what time of year you are going but make sure to check the Deer Hunting season & Bring plenty of Orenge!

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
5 replies since Oct. 01 2012, 10:37 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 3 night / 4 day's in Big South Fork
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions