2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Carver's Gap to 19 E along AT< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 11:49 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

here's some photos from my trip last weekend....

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nice one. what did ya think? pretty nice stretch of trail, eh? i had my first campsite bear encounter up on Grassy Ridge. did you make the side trip up there?

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

it was friggin awesome......

i had picked this stretch cause it was a full moon weekend and i figured it would be cool to be up on the balds......

parked car at mountain harbour...........got shuttle across to carvers gap........

and it was pouring pretty good.....

the rain kinda let up as i was starting out, and crossing jane's bald and those other first ones...........

not much of a view, but lots of clouds coming across mountains so it looked really cool....

wasnt impressed by the stan murray shelter......

stopped their to talk to a north bounder that was finishing up her hike after breaking a leg earlier.......

just as i had packed up the rain gear, as it was sorta clearing, another rain storm came in that lasted all the way for the hike to overmountain shelter....

overmountain shelter is a nice big one..........but, way way many people in it........there was 12-14 in there when i go in at 4:00ish........

the shelter was not my intended destination as i wasnted to be up on little hump, in case the clouds cleared out and the moon came out.....

with the rain, i thought maybe i should cut my losses and stay at the shelter.....

but, after one of the people spilled their dinner and all kinds of noodles over the one area where i had wanted to set up, my decision was made to trek on....

glad i did, as right when i left 6 people came in, and another 6 came in when i got back to the intersection with the AT...

so up on little hump i went........

sadly, i didnt fill up water at the shelter as i had read that there was a side trail off the bald to get water....

i ended up staying up the north end of little mountain right before the at ducked back in woods........there were people set up near the first rock formation when coming up on the bald, and they were the only ones up there besides me....

the fog and clouds were rolling through the bald pretty good as i set up my tent.......

and went on a search for water.........didnt find any as i double back down the at and found a side trail that didnt lead to water, but rather a cow pasture........started to turn back when it was getting dark and with the fog, the bald almost became a little confusing....

overnight, the fog was rolling through my tent pretty good, with the mist collecting on the mesh of the hubba hubba.....

the fog had cleared out around 4 am or so, as when i woke up to take a leak, the moon was out lighting up the valley below..........was pretty friggin cool...

next morning, i had some people come within 20 feet of my tent and start having a conversation at 730 am..........i'm not a morning person and hate being woken up early........we got into a discussion, with me still being in my tent/sleeping bag about how rude and inconsiderate it was for them to come down and wake me up.......i didnt go into their camp and make noise at 1 am, and certainly dont appreciate having noise early in the morning.....

granted i was camped 10 feet off the trail, but still----that bald is huge and they could have gone somewhere else along with being early in the morning........and i kept asking them to be quite......now, if it had been noon, i coulda almost understood, but this was before 8 am...

anyways.......the weather had moved out for the next day, and could see big hump mountain and what lays ahead....

coming down off the bald, realized that there was water 10 minutes from where i was camped.....

coming outta the woods on the back side of little bald and looking down at bradley gap and up at big hump----wholly moley.........

that view was frggin cool.........could see all the way up, seeing the group in front of me as they progressed up the hill, and what was in stored for  me....

coming into bradley gap and looking up, i could see the various blaze of the AT and that's what i was using as goals to get up the hill....

not a bad climb after all, and the view were outstanding.....

it was also interesting to see that someone mows these balds up here......

cresting out at the top, i ran into the group who i had seen going up the hill..........coming down the ridge, ran into 6 southbound thruhikers coming from maine......

then popped into the woods for a completely different mindset of hiking.......very rocky in this stretch....

also loved coming out near doll flats and looking down on the christmas tree farm......

and in the doll flats area, there was a really nice campground right on the edge of the meadow and woodsline....

the rest of the hike was downhill with some more rocky stretches along with some nice flat cruising area......

apple mountain shelter was torn down earlier this year, and i really didnt look to see where the old foundation was or anything like that.......i did see a pretty good campsite that was down on the flat part, maybe a mile or so from 19 E....

overall........this was a killer hike........tons of of people were out on this stretch.......

and i realized that while the balds in the smokies are pretty danged cool-----they dont hold anything to these balds along this stretch.......
 Post Number: 4
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kevin,

So the sites you set your tent up were on the AT? Is that OK to do? Who did you use for a shuttle? This looks like a backpack I would like to do.

Is this the trip you did?

http://www.secretfalls.com/hiking....way-19e

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

that website is the exact thing i printed and took along for information......

the only thing, know that i know, dont use their advice on water up near the bald, but rather my advice.......

as in keep going along the AT for a bit more north from little hump and you'll find a spring......followed by another spring about ten minutes from the first one...

as far as i know it's alright to set up tents along like that.....

there were other spots all along the trail that i had passed earlier in the day, along with the next day......

for shuttle---i used mountain harbour.......they are located at 0.2 from the trail at 19 E and that's where i left my car.....

shuttle was 35 bucks......and 2 bucks a day to park in his field.......which is off the road and seemingly really safe....
 Post Number: 6
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Kevin. I'll have to add this trip to my ever growing list I'm making.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 7
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

so were the loud-talkers cool with you callin them out on their rudeness?

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope......

There were abit couple of f yous thrown back in forth.....or more like shut the f uo----im sleeping.....

To me-----its rude and inconsiderate.......

I gave them peace in the campsite and they should return the respect.....
 Post Number: 9
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 1:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yes you can camp anywhere you like along the AT except in the Smokies & a few other parks with regs.  There is one spring between the Humps & I agree Dolls Flats is a really nice camping area as well!  Glad you liked it!! I've done the Southern 600 miles of the AT & this is my favorite stretch by far.

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
 Post Number: 10
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome TR and pics.  That is the section I see when we go back home west on 26?  It is the most scenic hwy I go on.  And pretty high up.  Where does the AT cross 26?  I have wondered that.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2012, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm hitting this section again, on Monday, my brother wants me to introduce him to the AT, I told him the conditions could be brutal but he's set on going.  We could run into serious snow up there?? Wish us luck!

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Plug is pulled on this trip, they're calling for up to 12" of snow & possible 80 mile an hour winds on the Balds.

--------------
11 replies since Oct. 04 2012, 11:49 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Carver's Gap to 19 E along AT
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions