2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Joyce Kilmer / Slickrock 2 day< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dinkhound Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 9:27 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey all, first time posting here.  Headed out to Joyce Kilmer / Slickrock this weekend, looking for a suggestion as to a trip plan.  
Thinking maybe it would be good to hike up to Stratton Bald from the memorial forest in the morning, set up camp and do some exploring / day hiking from Stratton Bald.  Sound like a good way to spend 36 hours in the woods? Not looking to bust my balls here.

Any suggestions / better ideas?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

whatever you do, you gotta hike Haoe ridge from The Bob down to The Hangover. love this hike, and the views from The Hangover are fabulous. not sure which route you were thinkin about takin up the mountain, but the Naked Ground Trail just about busted my balls. i've also taken the Haoe Lead Trail up from Maple Springs Overlook... it wasn't too terribly steep but almost unbearably overgrown at the end of September.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are 2 or 3 trails at the memorial forest that go up to the ridgeline of Bob Bald, Stratton Bald, Naked Ground, & Haoe lead.  I think ashepabst mentioned one he called Naked Ground trail, which I call little santeetlah creek trail (Not sure the official name or #), but like he said, it is pretty tough.  I think the elevation gain is around 3,000 feet, depending on what part of the ridge your final destination is.  Another is commonly referred to as Jenkins meadow trail, and its also tough, right out of the gate.  And then there is another, which I've never done in full, that uses horse cove ridge.

If you aren't into "busting your balls" try one of the high elevation parking areas at beech gap, big fat gap, or Wolf Laurel Hunting area.  Ashepabst mentioned Maple Springs Overlook, but i'm not very familiar with that side of the Haoe lead.

My personal pick would be an out and back from Big Fat Gap.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey,  Thanks for the help.  Looks like you can park right around the state line and have an easy walk in to the area.  Anyone know if that's right?  Also, someone told me the views are a lot better on Bob bald than on Statton Bald.  Assuming that we hike in from the state line, where would you recommend to camp?  Bob Bald maybe?  
Thanks again for the help
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah, the state line is at Beech Gap. from there it's only 3 or so miles up to Bob Bald. The Bob is the only open area. what they call Stratton Bald on the map must be a former bald. it's not an easy hike up to the bald from Beech Gap. you'll have a short, but very steep section up to the summit.

again, i highly reccomend that you don't stop at the bald but hike down the ridge to the Hangover. there are several good campsites along the ridge including a small clearing right before the Hangover where you should both sunset and sunrise views.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 6
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dinkhound @ Oct. 23 2012, 12:06 pm)
Hey,  Thanks for the help.  Looks like you can park right around the state line and have an easy walk in to the area.  Anyone know if that's right?  Also, someone told me the views are a lot better on Bob bald than on Statton Bald.  Assuming that we hike in from the state line, where would you recommend to camp?  Bob Bald maybe?  
Thanks again for the help

Yes, that is beech gap.
The hike in from there isn't bad.  A little less than half is fire road.  The connector trail (54A) is hit or miss.  Its more or less a rhodo tunnel at times, but its not hard and there is very little elevation gain.

The views from Bob bald are great, and some consider the 2 balds one in the same (Bob Stratton Bald).  Earlier ashepabst mentioned the hangover trail, which have some of the finest views in the southeast, in my opinion.  As for camping there are several spots to camp on the bob, but it can get very cold up there at night and if the wind picks up, it may be a long night.  There is also camping at Cold Springs gap on the way up, or Naked Ground.

The one spot you may run into a little confusion is at Cold Springs Gap.  The maps don't really do a good job explaining this junction.  Below is a picture of cold springs gap.  54A is the trail you need to take, up to the right.  To the left is cold springs trail (part of the BMT) which will bypass the connector trail to the bald.  There is also a fireroad that continues down and to the right, and also the south fork citico trail (105) is on the left.  It is a big junction, so make sure to take 54A, and then when you come to a junction about a 1/2 mile later, take another right.  

Post Number: 7
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oops...conflicting information.  I was typing when ashepabst replied I guess....
I dont think the climb up to the bob is too bad coming in from beech gap.
I guess thats all opinion anyway.

Should be a great trip regardless...I'm envious.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you calling me a wuss, ULB??  :p

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 9
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Oct. 23 2012, 1:35 pm)
you calling me a wuss, ULB??  :p

haha...no not at all!  :laugh:
I should watch what I say.  I am older & fatter than the last time I was up there.
That little pull might just whip me next time around.
 Post Number: 10
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just finished a trip to the Bob from Beech Gap and hooked over to Hangover Mt where I met up with John Quillen and the Southern Highlanders who are an active backpacking group trying to deep six the stupid new Park rules on fee backpacking and all sites reserved, etc.

I came out on one trip to Beech Gap and found this wonderful sight.

On my last trip to Hangover Mt I ran into John Quillen and the Highlander boys.  John on the left.

We even saw a bald eagle fly over the mountain, a first for me.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 11
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Walter, I wish you would stop by here a little more often.
Although I guess i could be a little more dilligent in keeping up with your journals.
 Post Number: 12
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the sentiments.  UlightBandit---have you done any stuff in the Cohuttas?  Reason I ask is because there used to be a wonderful website of the area called GeorgiaHikes and a guy named Trailfrog who's an expert but the site has disappeared.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 13
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Oct. 23 2012, 6:50 pm)
UlightBandit---have you done any stuff in the Cohuttas?  

No.  I've actually never stepped foot in the cohuttas.  My wife and I have been trying to complete all the trails in the Citico/Tellico/Joyce Kilmer area, so besides an occasional trip to Shining Rock & Middle Prong Wilderness, we normally stick to the south cherokee.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the help y'all, I will let you know how the trip goes and maybe put up a pic or two next week.  Really appreciate all the advice and help.
 Post Number: 15
Synthetic Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Oct. 23 2012, 3:21 pm)
I just finished a trip to the Bob from Beech Gap and hooked over to Hangover Mt where I met up with John Quillen and the Southern Highlanders who are an active backpacking group trying to deep six the stupid new Park rules on fee backpacking and all sites reserved, etc.

We are looking into this place as well.  Several questions for you and anyone else-

Do you have any info on the new fees and reservations?  Or perhaps that hasnt gone into effect yet, Im having trouble finding info on this.  Stratton/Bob/Hang are all in the unicoi Mountains, correct?

What is the water situation like in winter?  I have heard there is a reliable Spring close to Stratton and also at Hangover.  Any info appreciated

Are there tent spots off of the bald?  Eg perhaps in more wooded areas?  A little concerned about winds and ability to have a fire.

How would you compare Bob/Stratton/Hang to the AT's Siler Bald in NC?  (Not Siler's Bald in the smokies)
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Oct. 23 2012, 6:50 pm)
Thanks for the sentiments.  UlightBandit---have you done any stuff in the Cohuttas?  Reason I ask is because there used to be a wonderful website of the area called GeorgiaHikes and a guy named Trailfrog who's an expert but the site has disappeared.

Wasnt directed at me, but- we did Rice Camp trail in the Cohuttas to Jacks River a few weeks ago, great trip.  

Is this the GeorgiaHikes website you referrerd too?
http://georgiahike.web105.discountasp.net/main.asp

This website has pretty much all of the cohutta trails with basic info
http://www.greatgeorgiaproperties.com/Outdoor....tta.htm

Browns guide is good too
http://www.brownsguides.com/

...also fyi the lady who answers the phone at cohutta usfs is SUPER nice and rather helpful.  Its wise to call right before the trip to check road and trail conditions, we had to cross 2 large streams on the drive there, then about 10 stream crossings on the trail.  Place is awesome but could (rather does) get dangerous, quickly.

http://www.brownsguides.com
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you continue east on the Haoe Ridge Trail there's a campsite in that patch of fir trees. and if you go just a bit further down the trail there's a campsite in between two vertical rocks like stegosaurus plates.

the spring at Naked Ground seems to be pretty reliable. i was in Citico last weekend and the water seemed high.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great, thanks for the reply, very helpful.  Stegosaurus camp sounds very cool.
 Post Number: 19
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Nov. 07 2012, 7:46 pm)
...........i was in Citico last weekend and the water seemed high.

Ashepabst, what trails did you do in Citico?
Thinking about a trip down that way later this month.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i went up North Fork, across on Fodderstack and down Pine Ridge.

North Fork kicked my ace, by the way ... i had much more ambitious plans for the weekend. it was certainly a wild ride, though... one of my new favorites.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1139574....ectlink

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i've been meaning to pick your brain for beta on Bald River Wilderness, by the way. i've been eyeing that trip for awhile but have no good info except for Walter's journals. any good routes for a simple one-nighter? any good views up on the state line ridge?

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 22
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Nov. 08 2012, 12:08 pm)
i went up North Fork, across on Fodderstack and down Pine Ridge.

North Fork kicked my ace, by the way ... i had much more ambitious plans for the weekend. it was certainly a wild ride, though... one of my new favorites.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1139574....ectlink

Thanks for sharing your pictures.  I loved them.  Brings back memories.
North Fork has kicked my butt several times.  Still love that trail though.
Haven't done Pine Ridge yet, but its on the list.  Did you enjoy it?

've been meaning to pick your brain for beta on Bald River Wilderness, by the way. i've been eyeing that trip for awhile but have no good info except for Walter's journals. any good routes for a simple one-nighter? any good views up on the state line ridge?

Funny you ask.  Kevin (Umberger) and I had kicked around the idea of a trip up there later this month.  I really don't remember that much about it.  Last I was up there was about 10 years ago.  I remember that we camped on Kirkland creek trail, and the second night on Brookshire creek.  I also remember getting terribly lost near Beaverdam bald, which I remember being the best views.  I've got some trail notes at home that I will look at tonight and shoot you a PM.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't done Pine Ridge yet, but its on the list.  Did you enjoy it?

yeah, it was surprisingly good. i only went down that-aways because the North Fork had me ready for some easier tread. the trail was narrow singletrack... not a wide road like i usually expect with horse trails. there are winter views up top as the trail traces the apex of the ridge for awhile with lots of laurel... the middle gets a little non-distinct, and the bottom is very nice as you get closer to the river... lots of color left down there.

I've got some trail notes at home that I will look at tonight and shoot you a PM.

I appreciate that. Lemme know if you guys get some solid plans together.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 24
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im still game if we can come up with a route......
 Post Number: 25
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ashepabst, did you get my PM last night?
For some reason, I can't see it in my "sent" folder.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yup -- thanks a bunch for sharing. my weekends are booked through Thanksgiving but lemme know if you guys make some plans for this trip -- might tag along if you guys don't mind.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

one more thing to say about Pine Ridge ... the trail was a very easy grade overall -- never too steep even at the top. if you're lookin for a quick way to get up to main ridge it's a good option.

--------------
                           \    /             \
26 replies since Oct. 23 2012, 9:27 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Joyce Kilmer / Slickrock 2 day
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions