2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Savage Gulf, Loop< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Tuttle Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 1:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planning on doing the North Rim trail to Hobb's Cabin and then connector over to the South Rim Trail in two weeks.  Probably make it a two nighter, just because we can.  Any tips, opinions, suggestions, etc on that plan?  Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you guys stay the night at Sawmill, head offtrail across the dry river bed and up the slope about 100 yards. i wont ruin the surprise, but i thought it was pretty cool

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it all pretty good trail?  We did Fiery Gizzard last year and some of it was so rocky, it made for slow going.  Made me, and my ankles, nervous.
 Post Number: 4
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Expect pretty easy walking on the rim trails. However, the descent from Hobb's Cabin down to the bottom near Sawmill Camp is just plain brutal--steep & rocky. The climb up to South Rim is along an old road, so it's much easier. Still a little rocky in places, but a gradual climb.

If you have walking sticks, I'd take them along to help on the hard section. It's a great trip---doing it in two nights would give you plenty of time to go slow through the hard part.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 5
bionicearhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 11:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The hike to Hobbs is a bit of a snooze, but the Connector is great. The rangers do an odd thing at SG...they leaf blow the entire Connector Trail. No kidding. If they haven't yet...it could be a real ankle buster...so be aware. Start early if you want to get the cabin. It sleeps at least ten, but some people just don't like to share. Plus the chimney doesn't draft too well. Start a fire early if you want heat without death inducing smoke. I don't personally care for Sawmill CG...always a bit of a bog, but Schwoon spring nearby is awesome...at least when it is hot. Have fun! PS...you might keep an eye out for a grey cat near the ranger station or somewhere along the North Rim Trail. He likes to keep warm by laying in hiker's laps at night FYI. Hope you aren't allergic.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2012, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That was one of the reasons we figured on two nights, just to be safe.  Thanks for the info guys.
 Post Number: 7
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on Schwoon Spring... this is one of the the coolest features in the Gulf, especially when the water's up. this might actually be one of only a few water sources. i can't remember if Savage Creek is actually above ground where the Connector crosses but i do remember the Hobbs Cabin spring being a mudhole, though that was like 10 years ago. you'll have water again where Stage Road passes a waterfall, right before you top out on the ridge.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Headin' down Saturday.  Forecast looks pretty good, may get rained on Monday.  Thanks for the info!
7 replies since Oct. 26 2012, 1:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Savage Gulf
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions