2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: snow in smokies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

leconte got some snow last night.....

along with the road being closed down.....

just in case anyone was keeping score......
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

they have some great photos posted at the Lodge's website:
http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts.html

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah......

and we (wbir) will have some video from newfound gap on our 5 and 6 pm shows.......and probably on web later tonight.....
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and danged if i dont have reservations at ice water for this weekend....

anyone wanna join me?
 Post Number: 5
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New alert is for around 3 ft of snow above 5000 ft. LeConte is going to be buried.

My house is around 2000ft and we are getting a little wintery mix right now.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hmmmmmm.........

gonna be an interesting weekend......
 Post Number: 7
bacpacer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kevin, I also have reservations at Icewater and LeConte this weekend...We're coming from Ohio, so we are watching the weather closely. May see you this weekend unless the roads and trails are impassable up there at elevation.  I really appreciate the info you post here about the Smokies, keep it up and thanks.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well.......thanks for the compliments.......

Hope to see ya up there but im also playing it day to day.......

Id offer to make bring ya a filet but with the snowfall it may prevent a fire being had.......

Do you guys have a back up plan?     I may head to a lower elevation.......
 Post Number: 9
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone know the snowfall total for leconte last year,  I know it wasn't much.  This seems t be a good start to the season.
 Post Number: 10
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 12:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yay for snow up there.

Sorry it's screwing with y'all's plans, though.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 5:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We will probably head down in elevation as well. I've been to Le Conte when it has snowed a few times before but each time it was clouded in so thick you could only see 10 feet in front of you. This weekend is going to be clear as a bell. Hope to see you somewhere in the park this weekend.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Oct. 29 2012, 11:56 pm)
Does anyone know the snowfall total for leconte last year,  I know it wasn't much.  This seems t be a good start to the season.

you're right, it wasn't much. 12 days with snowfall over an inch, and only 2 days over 5 inches.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=mrx

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 13
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts.html
 Post Number: 14
chief1 Search for posts by this member.
Labeck

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was thinking about heading up this week to do a trip? But if 441 is going to be closed I will have to regroup?

--------------
The Best thing to do behind a Friends back is to Pat it.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the former October record snow depth for Leconte was 3.5". the record snowdepth for November is 15". the early post this morning from the Lodge has them at 17"!

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 16
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking at doing a loop out of Cosby this weekend...  I've seen the map that shows icy mix...  Forecast for the weekend is 50's and sunny.  Like you guys, just watching the weather and making a backup plan for the Foothills Trail in SC.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

its looking like they will break the record. Over 3 feet at LeConte and still coming down.
 Post Number: 18
appalhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Oct. 29 2012, 4:57 pm)
and danged if i dont have reservations at ice water for this weekend....

anyone wanna join me?

I'm there but it will make a longer hike with the closed roads. This will be a similar situation as the blizzard of 1993. They had to rescue some hikers off the high ridges then.
Did you shoot that video along 441 and NG?
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 1:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Naw.........twasnt me........we had a different crew up there.......i was shooting voters and sports today so no weather stories for me yet.......and gotta wait out a verdict tomorrow ......

Speaking of blizzard of 93----theres a really good article in the latest (as in like 3 weeks ago) edition of smokies life......

And where was i during the blizzard of 93 ya ask?

Driving from erie pa to cleveland to see the grateful dead.......got to my hotel safely, and in a timely fashion as i got on road before I 90 was too bad only to have that nights show cancelled.......
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wellllllll...........today here in the valley of knoxville---the sun is out and a touch warmer than yesterday .....

I havent heard latest on snow in park though.....
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm still on the fence about going up to LeConte on Friday. I read the posts from the lodge, 36" right now with drifts. Allison said the park service would try to clear Rainbow trail tomorrow from all the blowdown so the lodge people could get up. I'd be surprised to see that. She said it took some hikers 10 hours with snowshoes to get up yesterday thru the snow and downed trees. Has anyone heard an ETA on when the park service might open up 441?
 Post Number: 22
gjbu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have reservation at lodge for next Thursday. Surely we can get there. Right now Leconte is asking people with reservations tonight not to come.
 Post Number: 23
TNsmith Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have reservations for Tuesday. If they are open, I will be hiking. If not, I guess I will be hiking somewhere else. :(

--------------
Check out my Pics
 Post Number: 24
gjbu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hard to believe weather. I spent las Thursday and Friday night at 56 deepcreek and hiked out pole creek and Noland divide had picture perfect weather.
 Post Number: 25
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like things are improving:

"We have had four hikers come up so far today.  They all came up Rainbow Falls trail and advised the the path is very distinct and the snow is being trammeled by day hikers especially up to the falls.   The few trees that are down are easy to navigate and other than a few rhododendron thickets to scramble through, they had a good hike. One report has the trail above the falls in better shape than below as far as trees down.  Hikers will need some type of ice stabilizer (yak-traks, crampons, etc) as once the trail packs, melts,  and refreezes it will be slick. Trekking poles are also a good idea. The Lodge will be open for business as usual tomorrow."

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If all goes well this weekend-----looks like 56 and route described earlier will be my last site in park......
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

441 opened today around 1:00.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was down at federal court all day waiting on a vwrdict but i do believe we had a crew up there and shoukd have video on website....

Wbir.com

Its really warmed up in valley so this weekend may not be so bad.....
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

According to LeConte lodge, Alum Cave trail is impassable with waist high snow. Snow was reported to be above the cables and covered with ice. Said it took them an hour to go a 1/4 mile down the trail.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bacpacer @ Nov. 01 2012, 11:11 am)
According to LeConte lodge, Alum Cave trail is impassable with waist high snow. Snow was reported to be above the cables and covered with ice. Said it took them an hour to go a 1/4 mile down the trail.

I haven't seen an update but the park service was going to work on Rainbow Falls to get access to LeConte. Alum is often in bad shape in the winter, lots of ice.
35 replies since Oct. 29 2012, 2:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply snow in smokies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions