2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: snow in smokies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 11:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

fwiw........the park is conducting a rescue for a stranded hiker along the AT this morning.....

i do believe that we (wbir) should have more information on it later on today....

i'm going to be in and outta the building so i wont necessarily hear updates....
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

here's the initial release that the park put out---

Rescue Operations Underway for Distressed AT Hiker - At 3:37 pm on Thursday, November 1, Great Smoky Mountains National Park Dispatch received a 911 call through the Cherokee PD of a single male hiker in distress in a remote section of the Appalachian Trail somewhere between the Pecks Corner and Tricorner Knob Shelters. The call came directly from the hiker via cell phone.

Late Thursday the park dispatched two rangers by foot to the approximate location of the hiker to determine his exact location, assess his condition, and stabilize as needed. After a nine hour hike in steep terrain, high winds, and four to five foot snow drifts, the rangers have temporarily taken shelter in a cabin on the Appalachian Trail for a rest period. The rangers are an estimated four miles from the individual. The park is currently evaluating the possibilities of an air operation with the Tennessee Highway Patrol sometime today.

Early Friday morning Cherokee PD received another short telephone call from the hiker. He has reported that he has made it through the night by hunkering down at his location. The park is unaware of what type of shelter he has been using. He is also reporting he may not be able to walk out, but the park is unable to access his full condition based on the broken phone calls.
 Post Number: 33
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow.  Sounds like some severe frostbite got him.
Probably the worst place to run into trouble as well.
 Post Number: 34

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah........not the most accessible stretch of trail for a rescue.....

i just read a release from the park saying that a helicopter went up at 2 pm to try to locate him and hoist him out....
 Post Number: 35
appalhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard the news breaking in Atl via am 750. I hope they pluck him out with no problems. God speed.
 Post Number: 36

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

they got him...

and we (wbir) have video of him coming off copter and into ambulance.......check tv and/or website later....

here's the latest....

Stranded Hiker Rescued from Backcountry

Steven Ainsworth, 56, of Washington, NorthCarolina was successfully airlifted from the Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park this afternoon. Ainsworth had become stranded on a remote section of the trail as a result of the snow storm that blanketed higher elevations of the park earlier this week.

At 2:54 pm, a Tennessee Highway Patrol helicopter that had been called in to assist rangers with search and rescue efforts was able to retrieve Ainsworth from the Park’s backcountry and transport him to the Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge Airport in Sevierville, Tennessee. From there, he was taken by ambulance to LeConte Medical Center in Sevierville for medical evaluation.
35 replies since Oct. 29 2012, 2:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply snow in smokies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions