2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: cs 27 GSMNP, info wanted< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TNsmith Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 11:42 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since it looks like I can not use the Cataloochee Rd, I am switching to cs 27 near Elkmont.
Does anyone have any reports from there?
Thanks

--------------
Check out my Pics
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

27 sits around 3500ft.  It's suppose to be warming up so I think you'll be fine.
 Post Number: 3
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

not a bad site as well...

kinda on a hill with various sites in different locatons....

IMO---the "best" site of this site is down the hill a little and nearer to the stream (which is the water source for this campsite).......

but, in all regards, all the spots are nice and there's room to avoid other parties if anyone else is there.........
 Post Number: 4
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have walked by it once but never stayed there.  That's one of those trails I would only like to walk down ;)  lot's of up. It's probably a nice site, if I remember it is not right in the trail like some of the others but is close to water. You can find the Avent Cabin on the way (not on the trail map) and you can also go up to the old Blanket Mountain fire tower. There's nothing up there expect the concrete supports though and no view to speak of. 26 is small and up on a ridge, I would image it would be very cold up there with the wind. 28 is a popular horse camp - avoid it.

If you are looking for a short hike to a nice campsite look @ 24 in Elkmont.   24 is a large site with plenty of flat and close to water. 24 can be crowded at times but I figure we are over that until next spring. Not many cold weather campers. Also, it is hard to get firewood at 24 since it is so heavily used.

I don't really like 21, it is a long way to the water. I only hammock so it isn't an issue but there are no flat spots at 21 either.

I don't really like 30 because there are not many places for hammocks. The trail up there is easy though and the site is not really bad if you are going to tent.

23 is a good site. It's not uncommon to find folks 2-3 days at a time at 23 so they can fish.  Large site, flat, close to water.

20 is also a large, flat site, close to water. I have only come into 20 from the west so I cannot comment on the trail from Elkmont other than to say the first part is the same UP you get going to 27. It's a gravel road but it is brutal. Fairly short but brutal.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can find the Avent Cabin on the way (not on the trail map)

last year, there was a sign for the manway that lead to this cabin if memory serves me right.....

it's worth the trip to go over there....

while i don't fish---i really enjoyed 23........great wide open spot..........while there, i hiked up to where 25 used to be at before they closed it....

[/QUOTE]20 is also a large, flat site, close to water. I have only come into 20 from the west so I cannot comment on the trail from Elkmont other than to say the first part is the same UP you get going to 27. It's a gravel road but it is brutal. Fairly short but brutal.[QUOTE]

after that uphill going up jakes creek, once ya turn off to meigs mountain, it's easy..........downhill for a bit, a touch of uphilll then downhill to campsite.......

in a way, surprised that ya didnt mention CS 19.......

but it aint really worth mentioning........small tiny site.......not the best site in the park, imo........
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really like 30. I can see where hammocking could be an issue.  23 and 24 are really nice sites as well.  Pasty I completely agree on 21.  I always think I found the flattest spot until I lay down and realize I'm on a slant.
 Post Number: 7
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

19 was awful. I was there in the summer and the bugs were bad, the site was right in the trail, and the water was almost dry.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I believe chief1 told a story about staying at 19 a couple years ago.  He said he heard voices and it sounded like there was a dog running in camp, looked around and there was nothing. He told the story better then I have, but pretty spooky regardless.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah........i stayed at 19 october of 2011 and it was basically just to knock it off the list but knew beforehand how unappealibg it was.....

There is a few small sites up the hill and nearer to bear cables (as in, i think people had been tenting under them which for me is a bit too close.....

But the main part of the campsite is pretty dead smack in middle of trail....
 Post Number: 10
TNsmith Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all of the info everyone.
I will be using a hammock on this trip.
I will have to check out the cabin. Maybe I can report back in a few days.

--------------
Check out my Pics
9 replies since Nov. 01 2012, 11:42 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply cs 27 GSMNP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions