2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: LeConte Spring< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bacpacer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 6:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm gonna stay at LeConte shelter this weekend and don't remember where the spring is in relationship to the shelter... with all the snow can somebody guide me in the right direction?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To be honest----its easier tandaccept less ofstable a walkway to get water from the pump outsde the lodges office....

Its potable water and may be above snow level....

That is----if its not frozen.....

The spring is down trillium gap tral a touch........
 Post Number: 3
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like Kevin says, there's a faucet (the old lift type) at the main office.  It's near the porch swing unless they took it down for the winter. There's also hot water on the outside wall of the lodge.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the advice. I think finding the spigot will be easier than the spring.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whoa.........never knew about hot water.........intereating......

The most time i spend at lodge is getting a tshirt, maybe a drink feom my pack, and a quick sit.....

I kinda feel weird haning there longer as a dayhiker and/or shelter user......

Also----guessing if pipe is down, ya could always melt snow  ???
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 5:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As you face the entrance to the dining room, the hot water is to your right, on the outside wall of the kitchen.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ahhhhhhhh......

Foe the dining room----the only thing i do there is take a picture of the date board........
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't know about it until this May either. I got to stay at the lodge as a chaperon for a school group and they told us about it. There's a bucket in the cabins to fill for wash water.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Went up to LeConte shelter Friday night, 4 of us, trail was not too bad except for the snow melting off the trees like rain droping on your head at times. We were the only ones at the shelter until 2:30 AM, when 6 hikers came in. What a surprise to see hikers at 2:30AM. We got up at 5:30 am to go to Myrtle point and see the sunrise( beautiful ) but had to break trail and posthole all the way there (50 minutes in the dark). Temp got down to around 30 deg. that nite. When we got back to the shelter they were just waking up and said they were going to go down the Boulevard trail until I told them it had not been broken yet. They decided against it and went down Rainbow. Sunrise and sunset at LeConte is worth the effort to see, especially with all the snow.

Missed you at Icewater Kevin, we decided we had had our share of the white stuff and went down to campsite  #18, made a big fire and sat by the creek. Hope the duraflame worked for you.....
 Post Number: 10
gjbu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did you go up rainbow I have a reservation at lodge this Thursday. Been up there several times this is first to stay at lodge.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya missed the 2 pounds of pulled pork barbeque that i pakced in.....

And likewise----was only one at shelter till 1:40 in the morning when 2the guys came in.....

So i fed them BBQ sandwiches.......

On AT significant meltage of snow from saturday to sunday.....

I hope to post my pictures later today or so....
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yea, we went up Rainbow, at the time it was the only one passable. By Thursday all the snow will probably be long gone.

Pulled pork warmed up over a Duraflame would have hit the spot!!!
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

killing time at work and i ran across this about the water source up at leconte..

The water system operates from the end of March each
season until the last day of the season in late November. At the end of the season the system is
drained. Day hikers, shelter guests and the winter care taker for the Lodge obtain water directly
from the spring during winter months.
12 replies since Nov. 01 2012, 6:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply LeConte Spring
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions