2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Icewater Shelter< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 5:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's some photos from this past weekend...

i'll try to do more of a write up later or so......

on AT just starting from newfound gap...

between sweat heifer and boulevard trails.....

view from overlook before boulevard trail.....

depth of snow after boulevard trail.....

snow hanging from eave of shelter....

snow dripping.....

same snow about 20 minutes later (showing how quickly it's melting/falling from shelter)......

looking at shelter during sunset....

looking from shelter out towards sunset....

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet pics Kev.  You wearing snowshoes for that?  Or just boots?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome pics.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just boots.........with low gaiters......

My feet were soaked both days.........the trail was a mixture of snow and slush..........especially sunday......some of the post holes had 6 inches of water in em.....
 Post Number: 5
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the pics.
 Post Number: 6
WNDSRFROSS Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the pics Kevin!  I'll be driving in from Mphs late Friday night on the 9th, hitting Alum Cave on Sat & the Boulevard on Sunday.  There will probably only be a trace of the white stuff by the time I get there.  Hate I missed last weekend, I love packing and sleeping in the snow.
 Post Number: 7
chief1 Search for posts by this member.
Labeck

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 5:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice! I wished I could have joined you. I just love hiking in those conditions. In January several years backs with crampons on just after crossing Charlie’s bunion, is the place I call the wheat field. Well hundreds or should I say thousands of the wheat’s tops were covered with a coating of ice, the wind had a slight breeze and the sound of thousands of wind chimes was in the air.
AHH mother nature sure can surprise you around every turn.

--------------
The Best thing to do behind a Friends back is to Pat it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snowing again on leconte this morning.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

alright.....

a little write up......

figured since the road was open---i'd make a venture out to icewater as i had reservations for the last month to stay this weekend...

traffic coming through PF and sugarlands was lighter than i thought as i figured there would be some traffic with people wanting to see snow...

going up NFG road---started to run into snow just above the chimney tops trailhead....

at newfound gap, the temperature was fairly warm when i strapped on the pack...

pack was the heaviest of the year with the 5 pound duraflame, extra clothes, and the 2 pounds of pulled pork that i picked up at bennett's on the way in.......figuring if the boys from ohio showed up at shelter---might as well feed them a decent meal....

heading up trail, ran into snow pretty immediately.......trail was already broke but still had to follow other people's footprints through the thicker snow....

ran into Pete the maintainer within the first hundred yards or so and i picked his brain about current conditions....he had told me that not many people had made it past a tree that was fallen down about a mile in.....i told him that i was going to shelter and that if he made it that far---i'd feed him a BBQ sandwich....

ran into a group of college girls in shorts and tennis shoes singing christmas carols.......too danged early for me....

each group i passed, i tried to get info about trail conditions.....seems like the turn around point for most people if they made it that far, was the boulevard trail......

a couple more blowdowns around and a few more dayhikers...

did run into a guy who was trying to cross country ski the trail but was not having good luck...

snow was a varying level of depth......the deepest it got at some points was waist high.....

at intersection with boulevard trail, some footprints lead out that way im guessing to the jumpoff, but i did not waste my energy to find out....

by this point in the day, carrying a heavy pack and coming through waist high snow, i was getting tired.....

going the 0.2 from boulevard to shelter was the hardest as it looked like only a handful of people went down that way....

getting to the intersection where the shelter was, it was clear that nobody had made it out to charlie's bunion yet.....

i headed into the shelter and got my camp set up when a family of 4 passed by and said they were going to the bunion....

i wished them luck and asked them to stop back and let me know how they fared.........

and i wanted to know if the spring was above the snow or not as i would need some water eventually.....

taking a quick nap, and the family returned saying they made it out to bunion, water was flowing and they were whupped......i wished them luck as it was 530 and sunlight would be fading fast.....

got the duraflame lit and settled in for the night....

watched a killer sunset followed by the moonrise as i wrote in the trail journal.....

oh, yeah.....mice are still active in the snow as i had one climb up on my leg as i was sitting.......did it twice.....

the fire from the duraflame wasnt much, and i didnt collect any additional wood other than what was in shelter....

quite honestly, my legs were whupped from breaking trail to bear cable and the hike in........i figured i wouldnt waste any energy to collect wood as i would have to break through snow to do it....

went out to watch the stars as the sky was clear and lit up by thousands of stars.....

just when i was in la la land, and had barely fallen asleep, i heard voices and saw lights......

two guys came in at 1:40 in the morning.....

i was quite shocked as i figured once the sun went down, nobody would venture out....

but they did.........so i fed them some BBQ........they were happy to have a good sandwhich at 2 in the morning.....

it rained a touch overnight...........but woke to clear skies....

heading out, the snow melt was evident...........with the rain, and the warm temps, i could easily see difference in conditions......

but, with the meltage, water was flowing pretty good.......some of the postholes had 6 inches of water in them, so that was a nice surprise to put one's feet into....

about a dozen or so dayhikers were venturing out, most thinking they'd make it to the bunion but i told them if they didnt like the 3 foot of snow they were hiking in now, they wouldnt like the trip from boulevard out....

on sunday, the trail was a mix of conditions......on the sunny parts of the trail, it was down to bare ground with mud and slush..........and on the shadier part, still 3 or 4 foot of snow....

but, it was clear that this stuff was melting quick....

overall---not a bad trip.......took me 3 hours 30 minutes to make it to shelter.........and 2 hours to get back on sunday.....

one more BC site to go and i'm done....

also.......heard tonight (tuesday) that the road and leconte got more snow today.......
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh yeah-----if one wants to read the uncondensed version----read the entry in the trail journal at the shelter that i wrote.....
 Post Number: 11
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah I passed through there after Sandy went through & 441 was still closed. My Brother & I hiked from Fontana to Stecoah Gap during Sandy, it was awesome hiking, only 4-6 inches of snow with 15+ drifts & 50+ mile an hour winds near the peaks.  It was his 1st time on the AT & his choice to do it (I suggested we do the BSF) so he struggled, as I loved it : O ). once we got tho Brown Fork Gap shelter (which is ridiculously high & on the mountain), I told hie we were only 2.5 miles from a road. He said he'd love to sleep in a real bed so we hit the road & the 1st car gave us a ride into Robbinsville

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
10 replies since Nov. 05 2012, 5:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Icewater Shelter
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions